Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 29, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #9,962 of 46,514
Nice to know there is a modest cost solution that works well!

Dec 29, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #9,963 of 46,514
Yeah, I think that the small schitt stack is the defacto budget desktop solution for the moment. It's hard to beat a sub $200 stack that will drive the 650 and orthos reasonably well. Another nice product from Schitt. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #9,964 of 46,514
I'm honestly not much of an EQ'er either, but I always hear to EQ down not up. So following that theory you'd want to take the mids and bass down a touch if you wanted to hear the treble better. 

I know that, I just don't know the frequency ranges to boost.

Dec 29, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #9,965 of 46,514
Everything is debatable and my starting point was my personal preference, not some objective truth. The problem with appreciation threads is the lack of objectivity and criticism in the discussions.
Skickat från min GT-N7100 via Tapatalk 2

WEBSTER'S DICTIONARY:
ap·pre·ci·a·tion noun \ə-ˌprē-shē-ˈā-shən, -ˌpri- also -ˌprē-sē-\

Definition of APPRECIATION

a : judgment, evaluation; especially : a favorable critical estimate
b : sensitive awareness; especially : recognition of aesthetic values
c : an expression of admiration, approval, or gratitude
: increase in value

Maybe thats because it is a thread for those who APPRECIATE something.

Dec 29, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #9,966 of 46,514
Can we like, not hate on someone juat because he isnt a fan of the 650? It's not like he is being a troll or anything. He has some legit opinions on the 650 and his actual statement that he feels it isnt adequete for pure classical listening is actually one that is shared widely through headfo. Especially for large orchestras and choirs. The whole break down of appreciation thing was unnecessary as well. The title is more of a nod to the common trait to name the main thread of a certain headphone that way because someone long ago started the trend. The idea of this thread is not only to show appreciation but to discuss legitimate points about the headphone. Trolls aren't allowed but people with actual opinions shouldn't be shunned either. Nobody can learn about the headphone that way if its just a one sided thread, so stop getting so upset that someone dislikes the HD650 and came to state his opinion why. He obviously is being respectful about it and wants to hear others thoughts. Some of you guys are being little kids about this...unless this dude is some knoen troll and it's all over my head >_>

Anyway, I for one appreciate your thoughts, szoze. I am going to be a future HD650 owner and it'll be interesting to see if I feel the same when I pop in some of my favorite rachmaninoff and eric whitacre tracks.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #9,967 of 46,514
--

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:12 PM Post #9,968 of 46,514
Quote:
Can we like, not hate on someone juat because he isnt a fan of the 650? It's not like he is being a troll or anything. He has some legit opinions on the 650 and his actual statement that he feels it isnt adequete for pure classical listening is actually one that is shared widely through headfo. Especially for large orchestras and choirs. The whole break down of appreciation thing was unnecessary as well. The title is more of a nod to the common trait to name the main thread of a certain headphone that way because someone long ago started the trend. The idea of this thread is not only to show appreciation but to discuss legitimate points about the headphone. Trolls aren't allowed but people with actual opinions shouldn't be shunned either. Nobody can learn about the headphone that way if its just a one sided thread, so stop getting so upset that someone dislikes the HD650 and came to state his opinion why. He obviously is being respectful about it and wants to hear others thoughts. Some of you guys are being little kids about this...unless this dude is some knoen troll and it's all over my head >_>
Anyway, I for one appreciate your thoughts, szoze. I am going to be a future HD650 owner and it'll be interesting to see if I feel the same when I pop in some of my favorite rachmaninoff and eric whitacre tracks.

Thank you! I deleted my latest two posts. The first one was unnecessary, the second one was a misunderstanding. The best way for you to decide which headphones are right for you is to audition. It is very unlikely that you will find a headphone that suits all kinds og music. Racmaninoffs "thick" orchestration won't be appreciated buy HD650s, that's for sure
smile.gif
I really hope that we can shed some light on, not only HD 650, but on every other headphone. I beleive that is the main cause of a forum like this and not to create dogmas.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #9,969 of 46,514

Isn't it kind of hypocritical to accuse me of "hating" on someone then turn around and say expressing my thoughts is "unnecessary".

I'm not hating on anyone here. Just answering a comment of "the problem with appreciation threads......". You think my post is unnecessary, well I think that is unnecessary to go into a thread and state what the "problem" with the thread is and am expressing my thoughts as such. If you have a problem with a particular thread or type of thread.... don't read it or post in it. That simple.

Dec 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #9,970 of 46,514
Quote:
Isn't it kind of hypocritical to accuse me of "hating" on someone then turn around and say expressing my thoughts is "unnecessary".
I'm not hating on anyone here. Just answering a comment of "the problem with appreciation threads......". You think my post is unnecessary, well I think that is unnecessary to go into a thread and state what the "problem" with the thread is and am expressing my thoughts as such. If you have a problem with a particular thread or type of thread.... don't read it or post in it. That simple.

You are forgetting that many prospective buyers look exactly in these kind of threads and risk to get a partial picture of a device. Therefore I don't agree with you. I think that we can appreciate a headphone while at the same time trying to be objective and presenting both pros and cons. 

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #9,972 of 46,514
You are forgetting that many prospective buyers look exactly in these kind of threads and risk to get a partial picture of a device. Therefore I don't agree with you. I think that we can appreciate a headphone while at the same time trying to be objective and presenting both pros and cons. 

I usually read REVIEWS on headphones when I buy them not fan based threads which this is. We can discuss the semantics of where the derivation of an appreciateion thread comes from all day. It is what it is. Fans of this headphone post here. Fans are going to be biased. At the same time I have seen plenty of pros and cons posted here.

There are no lack of reviews and pro's and cons on head-fi on the 650. Reviews of the 650 abound on the internet.

You also don't disagree with me because you don't get my point. You are still trying to debate there is a "problem" with appreciation threads. You come into a thread and state what the problem with the thread is. Maybe you can start your own "appreciation thread hating thread". It is still a troll comment in a thread of for fans of the HD650.

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #9,973 of 46,514
Come on guys....move along!  You got "baited", get over it!  Those kind of post are common to any audio forums.  If you ignore it, it will die on its own.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Dec 29, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #9,974 of 46,514
How was I hating on you? I felt that what you said was unnecessary and gave a legitimate reason for my opinion. What people have been doing is attacking a guy who came here to express his opinion on the 650 that was not anywhere close to bashing. I have seen so many people do the same here and in other appreciation threads and its all good. But for whatever reason this guy comes in, and its a massacre. People DO actually come in this thread to look for obkective opinions, especially from more casual people who are more likely to share their perspective. Yes, I'd rather have most of my info come from other actual refined reviews too, but these places are good as well. I'm just stunned that this one dude who didnt like the 650's, says why, and then talks about his music preferences is getting so much crap :/. All the things I've read about these cans makes it so I feel it may make perfect sense why he MIGHT not like it. Then someone said he doesnt listen to emotional music and everything went to **** after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back