Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #9,497 of 46,514
So this morning I had possibly the best headphone experience ever listening to Kurt Elling's version of Leaving again/in the wee small hours off his album nightmoves. His voice really hits the 650 sound sig nicely.

Now about amps- everyone seems to rave about the lyr not just for these but in general. Why no love for the Valhalla? Also, any experiences with the budget hifiman EF2A? I like that it's small and a amp/dac combo but from what I've read it's nothing to write home about in either category. Thoughts? My only qualm is that there's no out to send to my stereo amp or powered monitors, and I take it that's it's not great to send an already amped signal into an amp/powered speaker.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #9,498 of 46,514
Here is another evidence that replacing the cable might change the sound character of HD650.

When I was making a cable for my HD650 today, I dug out the original cable to make sure that the wire configuration for the cable I was making was correct. I used a multimeter to identify which pole on the phone connector was connected to the ring, tip, or the base of the 1/4 in plug. To my surprise, the cable I was making and the original cable showed obviously different resistance values. The cable I was making has about 0.1-0.2 ohms from the connector to the 1/4 in plug, but the original cable has 0.7-0.8 ohms. 

The cable I made today uses a much thicker wire: 22 awg silver plated. My cable definitely sounds better in all aspects.

Dec 15, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #9,499 of 46,514
Dec 15, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #9,500 of 46,514
Quote:
Here is another evidence that replacing the cable might change the sound character of HD650.

When I was making a cable for my HD650 today, I dug out the original cable to make sure that the wire configuration for the cable I was making was correct. I used a multimeter to identify which pole on the phone connector was connected to the ring, tip, or the base of the 1/4 in plug. To my surprise, the cable I was making and the original cable showed obviously different resistance values. The cable I was making has about 0.1-0.2 ohms from the connector to the 1/4 in plug, but the original cable has 0.7-0.8 ohms. 

The cable I made today uses a much thicker wire: 22 awg silver plated. My cable definitely sounds better in all aspects.

How about a pic of your work? 

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #9,503 of 46,514
At Amazon France, the HD650  (EUR 249.99) is cheaper than the HD600 (EUR 261.88). 
At Amazon USA,  the HD650 changes it's price daily, going from $495 to $399.99 going up and down in the same day. 

What's happening with these cans? have Senheiser found something wrong with them?

Dec 16, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #9,504 of 46,514
Prices fluctuate all the time on Amazon. Has nothing to do with the HD650. I've seen the price of the DT990 change from $224 to $379 in the same day, and back down to high $200s... it just happens.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #9,505 of 46,514
Prices fluctuate all the time on Amazon. Has nothing to do with the HD650. I've seen the price of the DT990 change from $224 to $379 in the same day, and back down to high $200s... it just happens.

Correct. The prices on thousands of different products, not just headphones, fluctuate regularly on Amazon. Sometimes on an hourly timescale. There's no Sennheiser conspiracy here. :D

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #9,506 of 46,514
Quote:
Correct. The prices on thousands of different products, not just headphones, fluctuate regularly on Amazon. Sometimes on an hourly timescale. There's no Sennheiser conspiracy here.
biggrin.gif

This is true. Boy I wish I could pull the trigger on the 650 right now, it's back down to 399.99 and the 50 dollar gift card for free!

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #9,507 of 46,514
Sennheiser like many companies has a "MAP" policy. MAP = minimum advertised price. Authorized retailers have to live with this rule or risk losing their rights to sell the product.

The fluctuation is do to retailers trying to bend the rules. They are short lived because manufacturers monitor these things. Best bet is to speak to a retailer and ask for a discount. They can sell for less, just can't advertise for less.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #9,508 of 46,514
Sennheiser like many companies has a "MAP" policy. MAP = minimum advertised price. Authorized retailers have to live with this rule or risk losing their rights to sell the product.

The fluctuation is do to retailers trying to bend the rules. They are short lived because manufacturers monitor these things. Best bet is to speak to a retailer and ask for a discount. They can sell for less, just can't advertise for less.

Dec 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #9,509 of 46,514

Users who are viewing this thread

Back