Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 13, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #9,421 of 46,512
My experience has been that the DAC and the amp are about equal as far as coloring the sound goes. I've recently compared the HRT Streamer II, the Bifrost, the M-Audio Matrix USB DAC, and the ALO Pan Am DAC with my somewhat vintage CIAudio VDA-1 DAC, all pumped through my Asgard. They ALL have their own unique sound signature. None of them, BTW, sounded as good as the VDA-1. :D

Dec 13, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #9,422 of 46,512
Quote:
I though tit was in the exact opposite order 
redface.gif

I upgraded my dac once and it actually made me go from despising a HP/amp combo to kinda liking it (amp still wasn't my taste but it was a lot better still). Then again, it was from a FiiO E7 (~$100) to a PS Audio DLIII (then retail $800, $500 used). I think if you want higher quality sound (not a SS change) and your headphones aren't obviously the limiting factor an amp or DAC upgrade may be good to try first. Especially with the 650s :wink:

It is important to note that following the HP>AMP>DAC order of importance, the pairing between different devices is still important.  You could swap out your DAC and get a major improvement if it was a bad pairing to begin with.  The headphone, like speakers, is the most important.  Simply because if they suck, that will be the limiting factor for the entire system.  Next up would be power.  Without enough power, and quality power at that, you cannot drive your headphones adequately.  Lastly, the DAC is "least important", simply because it makes the smallest margin of difference.  Even a basic DAC is miles above the generic units in most of our sources.  I liken a DAC to an air intake on a car.  It makes an improvement for a high performance engine, but if everything sucks down the line you won't even notice it. I think this is what MattTCG was getting at.  Correct me if I'm wrong, though!

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #9,423 of 46,512
Dec 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #9,424 of 46,512
I like Katy perry on my HD650's you can really hear her amazing voice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0BWlvnBmIE

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #9,432 of 46,512
I have already received my congratulations but...I have decided that I like the overall sound of my Magnum V5s better. HD-650 is second best headphone I've heard so far though! Next I'm going to give the HE-400 a shot!

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #9,433 of 46,512
Quote:
IMO opinion always upgrade in this order: hp>amp>dac. So I wouldn't worry too much about the dac unless you are having jitter or playback issues. I have owned several of the LD amps and the lyr is much better to my ears. I have not owned any of the others that you mention although I hear that the Woo stuff is very nice. The lyr has curbed my appetite to get newer amps. It's just a beast of a pairing. 

gL!!

Hello,

I have a different experienced.  Just like the Lyr, which I also have, the LD MKIV SE needs a better tube.  What tubes did you try on the LD's?  

Last Thanksgiving, I have 2 people tried the LYR and the LD OTL using the same DAC(Bifrost) driving HD650/Q701.  The OTL wins 2-0 with jazz, classical, and pop.  For rock, techno, and trance the Lyr had the edge according to the listeners especially using the Q701(it transformed the HP IMO).  To me, it does not matter, as I enjoy them both, equally.

Speaking of the Lyr, IMO, it's a good amp for the HD650.   Having said that, I do not shoot for the "do it all" approach in my HP applications.  I have my High Efficiency/horns/DHT SET system that I do not think a headphone system can ever match.   Certain amps works for certain HP's on many variables that changes from system to system.  The OTL , which you do not like compared to your Lyr has a different sound than hybrid(Mosfet currentdriver/tube voltage driver) circuit. But, I can assure you that the hybrid Lyr will never achieve the tone of the LD OTL and of course, same is true for the latter to the former in brute force. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back