Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 6, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #9,256 of 46,520
I just received the audioquest victoria cable with the 72v dbs, i've listened 10mins through them, I want to say it does sound different I just can't quite put my finger on what it is, I want to say it gives a fuller sound and as if there is more air to the music. But I think I need to get adjusted to have a better understanding also my dog keeps bothering me while Im trying to listen GRR LOL. but I'll recap as this is just a first impression oh and my setup is dragonfly>victoria(cheapo cable before)>o2 amp>stock cable>hd650 I was wondering if anyone could help me pick out a cable for my hd650's I am interested in the toxic cables silver plated copper or silver cable ? thanks :p

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:03 PM Post #9,257 of 46,520
Quote:
I just received the audioquest victoria cable with the 72v dbs, i've listened 10mins through them, I want to say it does sound different I just can't quite put my finger on what it is, I want to say it gives a fuller sound and as if there is more air to the music. But I think I need to get adjusted to have a better understanding also my dog keeps bothering me while Im trying to listen GRR LOL. but I'll recap as this is just a first impression oh and my setup is dragonfly>victoria(cheapo cable before)>o2 amp>stock cable>hd650 I was wondering if anyone could help me pick out a cable for my hd650's I am interested in the toxic cables silver plated copper or silver cable ? thanks :p

Toxic Cable Silver Poison's just sing with the 650's!

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #9,258 of 46,520
^^ I don't believe you. Loan me your cable and let me verify this. 
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #9,260 of 46,520
Quote:
I nearly bought a pair of HE-400 today to try against my new HD650....just to be sure and make sure I had made the right decision. I managed to stop myself at the last minute 
confused_face(1).gif
 I would like to try a pair, but still just really worried about the additional wieght / size and also reliability to a certain extent.

I must say though I am really impressed with my HD650.....I've read a lot of reviews from people saying they lack bass, but I must say I havent heard that yet......the bass just seems to be right for my listening preferences and female vocals are just so...hmmmmm.

Currently listening to Paloma Faith's Do You Want the Truth or Something Beautiful? via Spotify Premium and it sounds amazing as does Adels' 21!!

Just as an aside...... I am looking to purchase a desktop amp and posibly DAC to use with the HD650. I have seen a lot on here about the Schiit Lyr and Bitfrost (both of which I have on my wishlist when funds and a UK distributor arrives).....but other than those can anybody recommend anything else, I was potentially thinking of the following if anyone can comment:

ALO PanAm and possibly the standalone power supply

Little Dot III - Mainly because it has RCA in and so I could connect my DIY Modded iPod directly to it.

Cheers

I currently use the HD650 + Pan Am + Gateway combo and the setup works great for me, but then again, this is my first good setup so I dont have much to compare it to.  I dont think the Gateway makes much difference, but I've only listened to these with the Gateway for a week, and now without it for another as I'm away from home, so it'll take quite a bit more time for me to spot differences, if any exist.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #9,261 of 46,520
Quote:

I have AQ DragonFly>AQ Victoria(3.5-RCA)>NuForce HAP-100.  Currently not HD-650's, but the rest of the setup is great!  The Victoria is phenomenal!  So clean and quiet.  Listening to Momentum's right now.  

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #9,264 of 46,520
I know you'll all want to punch me for this, but I don't think it's all that hard to get these to sound good.
Of course, no way ever i'd suggest them without a good desktop amp/dac.

I actually think they do just fine with the lowly Airhead and my Ipod with LOD cable.

On my main amp they don't even need high gain and volume is only at 25%. I know this doesn't matter much and i'd still buy a nice amp for them.

There is still an easily noticeable difference between my amps with them.

I repaired my Ipod Video 5.5g I destroyed and it sounds pretty good with the HD-650 using a Fiio L11(LOD) to Airhead. This 5.5 seems a lot warmer than my other Ipods (Touch 2G).
Haven't noticed much difference other than this. The Ipod 3G (monochrome!) actually sounds a bit better to me, but it only has a 15gb hard drive and requires a Firewire cable to charge it!
Using rockbox and FLAC files with both.

For whatever reason, the 650 and my DJ100 sound clearer with Ipods than my Fuze and Clip+. Your guess why is as good as mine...

How come portables always have such a pathetic soundstage size..yeah I know it's mostly in the recording and all, but it's always too small.

Ugh...if you can believe it I've been using my HD-650 for a week from portable devices..too much work and can't use my main setup with them.

BTW I 100% agree that they benefit from amp/dac upgrades more than the 598 and HD-600. Really weird and i'll never figure out why exactly
normal_smile .gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #9,269 of 46,520
Quote:
I would have offer another opinion here. I owned the he500 and now own the hd650. They have a different presentation so it depends on what you are after. The he500 have some of the best mids in it's price range, but actually I prefer the mids of the 650. The he500 is technically better but I found myself reaching for the 650 time and time again until I sold the he500.

Please understand that the he500 is a great hp. I really do love the planar sound. But if I were going for an open planar, I'd pick the he400 as it adds better bass response and is very close to the he500. The other issue with the he500 is the weight. It's heavy...at least for me. The 650 is about a third of the weight and infinitely more comfortable. 

I agree. 

When people first change to the HE500 it sounds superior. I know mine did. But after 2 months of usage I came back to the HD650. HD650 has (in my opinion) just unbelievable mids. HE500 actually loses there. HE500 has slightly better bass and definitely better treble...but HD650 is where it's at.

Once you've listened to the HE500 for a couple of months and come back to the HD650...you'll notice it. HD650 is better than the Beyerdynamic T1 and HE500 to my ears. Still gonna try out the HD800 though...

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #9,270 of 46,520
The HD650 is just so comfortable - and I mean that both physically and sonically.  Looking to try out the LCD-2 to see how it compares.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back