Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #9,076 of 46,514
hmmmm...a rolling tube gathers no bloom?

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #9,077 of 46,514
Loving the HD650 with the Little Dot MkIII. Been comparing the HRT MS II and the AQ DragonFly as DACs to the LD MkIII to HD650, and I prefer the DragonFly. Its a little more resolving and produces a more exciting sound then the MS II. However, the differences are not large.

I had a listen to a Schiit Valhalla, ALO Pan Am, and a Violectric V100 this week. The HD650 really do pair well with tube amps, with the Pan Am being my preferred out of the 3. I'm still happy with my LD MkIII, as neither of those 3 wanted to make me change.

I am getting a Graham Slee Solo SGRII for a home demo this coming week. So it will be good test over an extended prior how a solid state amp pairs with the HD650.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #9,078 of 46,514
Are tube amps good for all genres? Even electronic/electronic pop music? 

Thanks. Right now I'm using it in a low-powered state. It's not bad, I could still hear more details than any other headphones I've used in my life, but does sound a bit dull without an amp. I'm getting used to this so I could spot a huge difference once I get an amp. I expect to come back on here once I do and tell all y'all that "it is the schiit" 

Yes, please do. Decent amps are extremely vital with the HD-650 I've found. I have what it is regarded as just a "decent" amp (Matrix M-Stage), and adjusting the gains (I may be wrong, but I think this is the power output of the amp), changes the sound of the HD-650 significantly. It lifts what people call the "Sennheiser Veil" nicely, when I go from the lower power, to the higher power options. 

So, yes... a good amp will lift the "Sennheiser Veil" nicely, and give you a much cleaner, clearer sound. Let us know how it goes! 

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #9,079 of 46,514
Now I have read multiple comments and recommendations away from these implying that they are lacking in bass. Are mine "broken" or are those people nuts? If these had any more bass quantity they it would be too much and extension to my ears is impressive. Is this just me? Flat eq we are talking about here.

Dec 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #9,082 of 46,514
Quote:
Now I have read multiple comments and recommendations away from these implying that they are lacking in bass. Are mine "broken" or are those people nuts? If these had any more bass quantity they it would be too much and extension to my ears is impressive. Is this just me? Flat eq we are talking about here.

I experienced this with an older HD650. What had happened was, three of four retainer hooks that hold each driver in place had snapped; so the driver would routinely slide farther away from the element/enclosure, reducing bass responce. I would never have known they were broken, had the headphones not been replaced(the tabs on the old set didnt appear broken at all). Bass on the "new" set is phenomenal
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #9,083 of 46,514
Quote:
I experienced this with an older HD650. What had happened was, three of four retainer hooks that hold each driver in place had snapped; so the driver would routinely slide farther away from the element/enclosure, reducing bass responce. I would never have known they were broken, had the headphones not been replaced(the tabs on the old set didnt appear broken at all). Bass on the "new" set is phenomenal
biggrin.gif

+1

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #9,084 of 46,514
It would be fair to describe the bass as perfect IMO. Just where I like it for my taste which oddly enough most people consider my taste "bassy" which is why I seem surprised.

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #9,085 of 46,514
Quote:

I've now owned two "broken" pairs that have not exhibited the traits regurgitated to warn people away from this headphone. The infamous veil, lack of bass and the supposedly slow, overly laid back and boring presentation are characteristics I cannot pin to the HD650.

Now, it may be concluded that I just prefer a warmer and darker presentation in contrast to those who describe the HD650 in those unflattering terms. I'd dispute that though, as I also love the HD800 (a headphone on the other end of the spectrum). It's ironic, because the myths regurgitated about the HD800, i.e. piercing treble, fake emphasis of detail, unnaturally large soundstage, lack of bass, are also qualities I can't pin to my HD800. If my preference was strictly aligned to the "dark side", then surely I'd have an allergic reaction to the polar opposite characteristics of the HD800?

Moral of the story? Do not take Head-Fi as gospel. Listen for yourself.

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #9,087 of 46,514
Now I have read multiple comments and recommendations away from these implying that they are lacking in bass.
They were probably discussing sub-bass, 40Hz and under. Orthos get recs for electronica that has extremely low freq notes. I don't have much music that goes that low so I don't know all the details. In the chart below you can see the HE 400 stays flat past 20Hz and the HD650 starts dropping rapidly at 40Hz.

+1

Dec 1, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #9,088 of 46,514
Quote:

I've now owned two "broken" pairs that have not exhibited the traits regurgitated to warn people away from this headphone. The infamous veil, lack of bass and the supposedly slow, overly laid back and boring presentation are characteristics I cannot pin to the HD650.

Now, it may be concluded that I just prefer a warmer and darker presentation in contrast to those who describe the HD650 in those unflattering terms. I'd dispute that though, as I also love the HD800 (a headphone on the other end of the spectrum). It's ironic, because the myths regurgitated about the HD800, i.e. piercing treble, fake emphasis of detail, unnaturally large soundstage, lack of bass, are also qualities I can't pin to my HD800. If my preference was strictly aligned to the "dark side", then surely I'd have an allergic reaction to the polar opposite characteristics of the HD800?

+1 for that

Dec 1, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #9,090 of 46,514
Quote:
How are tube amps for electronic/electronic pop music? 

the amp isn't going to change the music as much as the headphones being used will. And the amp is going to drive the headphones differently than others. Some people claim that a tube amp will give a "warmer" sound signature. After spending a lot of time with my tube amp, however, I would say that's not necessarily the case. Something to keep in mind.

Edit: but I primarily listen to electronic myself, and for what it's worth, I'm in no rush to go back to using a solid state amp at all...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back