Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 29, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #8,971 of 46,514
Quote:

I just received the Beyerdynamic T70. I was greatly surprised at the improvement over the HD-650.

That is, until I tried the HD-650 again. They don't sound exactly the same but they're both great.

how do you like them the t70's ??? I'm looking for a really good portable headphone ! 

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #8,972 of 46,514
Quote:

I told myself, "No more headphones!", but I didn't listen. On Black Friday, I succumbed to Amazon's T70 sale price. They're not an open design, like my DT 990 Premium, but I like 'em a lot.

What do you think of the T1 versus the HD-650?

Well, the T1's lay everything out on the table, has incredible reach and timbre; however, I find that some songs, particularly with laid back vocals, dont sound entirely authentic(example of what I mean). The HD650's have a fuller sounding midrange, and very clean, non-offending treble. To me, the T1's, while musical, aire on the side of analytics.
Truth be told, I'm having a very difficult time picking one of the three; but if I was forced to sell all but one in a pinch, I'd probably stick with the 650's, for its incredible value.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #8,973 of 46,514
Quote:
Quote:

I just received the Beyerdynamic T70. I was greatly surprised at the improvement over the HD-650.

That is, until I tried the HD-650 again. They don't sound exactly the same but they're both great.

how do you like them the t70's ??? I'm looking for a really good portable headphone ! 

The T70 is a full-sized, non-folding headphone. It's not what I'd call portable.

There's only one portable I've heard and would recommend: The grey-market import, JVC HA-S500 at ~US$75 shipped. They're surprisingly good even ignoring the price. I listened to the (open) DT 990 full-time at work until we moved to a new, LOUD office. That was my excuse for buying the (closed) T70.

Nov 29, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #8,974 of 46,514
Don't let anyone tell you the E9 can't drive the HD-650. Impossible!
I enjoy the combo and prefer the E9 to the O2 for the 650s. My other cans like the O2 so the 650s have the E9 all to themselves. Glad I didn't sell it.

The 650's are really holding their ground.. Dont get me wrong, both the T1's and LCD-2's easily showcase their technical supremacy, but by the end of the day, the 650's still deliver sound in such a way that the others cant.. smooth, clean, musical :smile_phones:

You are not alone. I've had the 650s for two months now, so the new toy syndrome has worn off, and they continue to receive the most headtime. When fed proper octane music the 800s are like hitting warp speed but they rip apart so many tunes. Exploring new music is much easier with the 650s. The 800s get swapped in for certain songs or albums, but the 650s are very set-and-forget. Perfect for getting through the workday.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:46 AM Post #8,975 of 46,514
You're spot on there Draygonn. The HD800 is a magnificent headphone and is far from sterile. It's incredibly engaging in full flight. Comments about the HD800 in the last few pages are clearly from those who are unfamiliar with it. Short impressions with no mention of ancillary gear are useless.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:13 AM Post #8,976 of 46,514
I had the HD-800 for 2 months. And I agree, I wouldn't call them sterile. I think they are actually quite amazing at how accurate the detail is on these headphones. At least for me, they were one of the few "wow' moments I've had with cans. I also never found them to be boring, the bass and the representation of the instruments, were so accurate and fast, I found them to be very lively cans. 

But sadly, my ears just could not handle them! Like I said a couple pages back (with my recent experiences of the HD-700) - something about the 800 and 700's sound signature, just does not sit well with my ears. I get a really intense burning/throbbing. Unlike other cans (with sound signatures I don't find pleasant), I never get this when I'm actually listening, and it happens hours after. And the pain can last a couple days! (800 wasn't as bad as the 700). 

So, I can personally understand why some might not like the HD-800. I have a deep appreciation for them as cans. But they just aren't a good mix for me - physically speaking. Something about the transparent signature and the frequencies, just wrecks my ears. I'm not sure if the 800 or 700 need the perfect set up to make them sound perfect (I was using Lyr> Bifrost), but regardless, I could could never connect with them. And for the record, I even tried listening to both cans at really low levels (so it wasn't the volume).

Quote:
You're spot on there Draygonn. The HD800 is a magnificent headphone and is far from sterile. It's incredibly engaging in full flight. Comments about the HD800 in the last few pages are clearly from those who are unfamiliar with it. Short impressions with no mention of ancillary gear are useless.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #8,977 of 46,514
What tubes did you have in place? I had the Lyr/Bifrost combo when I first acquired the HD800. The much hyped Lorenz Stuttgarts weren't much chop with the HD800 (although they were pretty good with the LCD-2). The Amperex Orange Globes (best tubes with the HD650) were too unrefined and incoherent. The Amperex Bugle Boys on the other hand were awesome with the HD800. Clean, smooth and transparent with great bottom end. I probably would have lived with this setup longer if my only pair of Bugles didn't start exhibiting noise soon after the HD800 entered the stable.

Nov 29, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #8,978 of 46,514
I used the stock GEs (edit, used the stock tubes they sent me). I haven't had much exploring when it comes to changing out the tubes tbh. 

But does it really make that big of a difference? I tried listening to both cans just amped by a Fiio E17 (obviously in these tests, they were underpowered. But wanted to test them against my Lyr/Bifrost) - and I still got the intense ear aches. I just assumed it was the general sound signature. Could the set up make THAT massive of a difference? I only ask, because obviously I would have loved to have been able to keep the 800's or 700s. 
Quote:
What tubes did you have in place? I had the Lyr/Bifrost combo when I first acquired the HD800. The much hyped Lorenz Stuttgarts weren't much chop with the HD800 (although they were pretty good with the LCD-2). The Amperex Orange Globes (best tubes with the HD650) were too unrefined and incoherent. The Amperex Bugle Boys on the other hand were awesome with the HD800. Clean, smooth and transparent with great bottom end. I probably would have lived with this setup longer if my only pair of Bugles didn't start exhibiting noise soon after the HD800 entered the stable.

Nov 29, 2012 at 4:01 AM Post #8,979 of 46,514
It's clear you've not really heard what the HD800 is capable of. In terms of the Lyr, yes tubes make a huge difference. This difference is only magnified when using a headphone as capable and revealing as the HD800.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #8,980 of 46,514
Oh boy....... Just woke up. Spent half the night literally dreaming about getting my HD650s and using them for the first time. Hoping they arrive today. Too bad the lyr won't be till next week.

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #8,981 of 46,514
^^Oh the pain of waiting. 
mad.gif
 And the joy of the delivery!! 
biggrin.gif

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #8,982 of 46,514
Quote:
I have the HD650 with the Valhalla and the Lyr, they're both really awesome amps. 

I haven't ventured into the tube rolling portion of the Lyr yet, so I don't know their full potential, but the Valhalla with the HD650 are really really smooth. I'm actually spending more time with the HD650 than my He-400 to be honest lol 

Nice, that´s what I wanted to know... I have rolled tubes with some russians from the 60's, telefunken and amperex (orange globes). And I can say that Amperex are the best. I ordered my Hd650 this black friday and I cann´t wait to start testing them with all my tubes on the valhalla!!!

I also ordered a pair of Siemens and Testla, but they will arrive in mid december, I´ll have to spend a lot of time rolling and blind testing.. That´s what I like from Valhalla!

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #8,983 of 46,514
I'm pairing my HD600 with a Tungsol 12AX7 and I like the sound. Is there a particular tube that has synergy with the HD600? I'm using the Bellari HA540 amplifier, which is rather unknown, so I guess it would be hard for you guys to say...

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #8,984 of 46,514
Quote:
I'm pairing my HD600 with a Tungsol 12AX7 and I like the sound. Is there a particular tube that has synergy with the HD600? I'm using the Bellari HA540 amplifier, which is rather unknown, so I guess it would be hard for you guys to say...

I have a Bellari 540 and the best sounding tube to my ears with the 600/650s is the Valvo 12ax7. That 540 was one of my first tube amps and I have tried a multitude of tubes with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back