Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #8,941 of 46,514
Hey congrats!! Nothing like new hp's...especially one as good as the hd650. Be patient with them. They will burn in some in the next several days. 

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #8,942 of 46,514
I think I might just wait for the upcoming Fiio E12 to release and pair that to the HD650's until I'm ready to go the desktop tube route. This is going to be a long couple of months staring at the HD650's with no way to drive them...

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #8,944 of 46,514
I think I might just wait for the upcoming Fiio E12 to release and pair that to the HD650's until I'm ready to go the desktop tube route. This is going to be a long couple of months staring at the HD650's with no way to drive them...

What? Why? Just get an E9 or something to get you by. It's dirt cheap and drives the HD-650 just fine. I think it's down to $95 now.
You can resell it quite easily later.

Right now i'm using the ultimate poor man's setup since I was too lazy to drag all my stuff downstairs.

It's X-Fi Go Pro to Total Airhead. Sounds good, but mostly like a Sansa Clip+. The mids seem almost too forward for some reason though.
I guess I'll try to see how my onboard sound is with the HD-650! Probably awful, but this motherboard seems to have a good chipset.

BTW even a Total Airhead alone can drive the HD-650 well enough. I'd probably never buy an 650 with just a portable amp though.

Ok, I guess i'll now go see how well my Clip+ handles my HD-650. Maybe it'll actually sound good! Never tried that before..

Nov 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #8,946 of 46,514
Successfully upgraded my asgard order to a lyr this am. Caught it before it went out. So by next week ill have the 650+lyr. Seems people have already recieved some of their senny orders from black fri so hoping mine will arrive tmrrw.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #8,951 of 46,514
Quote:
All right, so I have a little over 250 to spend on a DAC or AMP. Which comes first? And what should I get for that range?

Amp first, always IMO. You could always look at a combo DAC/AMP like the Fiio E7/E9 ...I've used FiiO's products in the past, with good results.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #8,952 of 46,514
All right, so I have a little over 250 to spend on a DAC or AMP. Which comes first? And what should I get for that range?

Assuming this is to amp your HD650 I would get the Asgard for $225 HERE

Then get the Fiio E10 and use it as your dac for $50 bucks. later ugrade to an ODAC or a Bifrost.

That will be within your budget and you can have both now.

Nov 28, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #8,954 of 46,514
Quote:
Well, I just got my HD650 in today and I can honestly say that with the Darkvoice 3322, I am very, very pleased. My initial impressions are that it sounds....rich and full bodied. Enveloping, even. And they only have less than an hour on them! I only hope the soundstage opens up ever slightly more. But I love it, these are keepers I can already tell in my brief time with them.

I will still have to wait till around January to try them our on a Lyr/Bifrost combo. Really interested to hear how they sound on it.

Congrats on the new headphones!!!
Enjoy!!!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back