Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #8,041 of 46,554
Quote:

Considering you have both the crack and the WA2, you are the perfect person to ask.  Which do you prefer.  can you do a small comparison when paired with the HD650?  Those are two of the tube amps I'm considering adding to my stable.

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:51 AM Post #8,044 of 46,554
^^that's a really nice looking setup!! I'd be interested in hearing about the crack as well...^^

popcorn.gif

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #8,050 of 46,554
Any comparisons of Lyr vs Crack + speedball would also be interesting. I have the Crack + Speedball (and Bifrost, though not pairing them ATM), and just curious about any direct comparisons with Lyr.

Here are a couple of pictures of my Crack. I personally like the look (not just mine, but overall), but I'm recently into retro anyway.

P.S. This is one thread that's hard to keep up with. Stray for a couple of days and 150+ messages await. Says something about these cans.

Oct 3, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #8,051 of 46,554
I can't offer a comparative review that includes the Crack. But the lyr has rocked my world!! I used the Asgard before and liked it pretty well, but it just got so danged hot. The lyr does not heat up as quickly nor is the max nearly as high. I don't see myself changing from lyr/bf for many years...

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #8,052 of 46,554
Quote:
Any comparisons of Lyr vs Crack + speedball would also be interesting. I have the Crack + Speedball (and Bifrost, though not pairing them ATM), and just curious about any direct comparisons with Lyr.
I'll post a pic of my Crack build in a bit. I personally like the look, but I'm recently into retro anyway.
P.S. This is one thread that's hard to keep up with. Stray for a couple of days and 150+ messages await. Says something about these cans.

The crack is really good with dyamics, but the Lyr is overall the better amp, IMO.

And +1 on this thread being hard to follow. It's always a fun read when you neglect this thread for a week and you have 60 pages to sort through.
Quote:
I can't offer a comparative review that includes the Crack. But the lyr has rocked my world!! I used the Asgard before and liked it pretty well, but it just got so danged hot. The lyr does not heat up as quickly nor is the max nearly as high. I don't see myself changing from lyr/bf for many years...

The Lyr is an awesome amp, can't say I miss it much, but I did appreciate it and still do. Best tube amp/hybrid under $1k.
+1 on the Asgard being a PITA because of heat, I was actually surprised by how hot that sucker got, More surprised by how cooler
the Mjolnir runs than it.

The Crack and Lyr are both really satisfying amps though, they just have different purposes.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #8,053 of 46,554
Quote:
The crack is really good with dyamics, but the Lyr is overall the better amp, IMO.

And +1 on this thread being hard to follow. It's always a fun read when you neglect this thread for a week and you have 60 pages to sort through.
The Lyr is an awesome amp, can't say I miss it much, but I did appreciate it and still do. Best tube amp/hybrid under $1k.
+1 on the Asgard being a PITA because of heat, I was actually surprised by how hot that sucker got, More surprised by how cooler
the Mjolnir runs than it.

The Crack and Lyr are both really satisfying amps though, they just have different purposes.

Assuming you got a chance to try the 650's on an asgard and the other amps you mentioned, what do you think of the 650/asgard combo?

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #8,054 of 46,554
Quote:
Here are a couple of pictures of my Crack. I personally like the look (not just mine, but overall), but I'm recently into retro anyway.

VERY VERY Nice bro!!!

I definitely like the darker stain and the black finish.  Looks like you did an amazing job.

For my tube amp solution, I have a feeling I'm gonna end up with a $1k+ integrated tube amp.  I am inclined to make a McIntosh amp.

But if I go with a sub $1k tube amp, the lyr, crack, or wa6 are probably the 3 i'll consider.  I'm in no hurry, so I want to make sure I make the right purchase.  I want a very natural sounding tube system alonside my SS systems.  Just not sure how far I wanna go with it.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #8,055 of 46,554

Quote:
VERY VERY Nice bro!!!

I definitely like the darker stain and the black finish.  Looks like you did an amazing job.

For my tube amp solution, I have a feeling I'm gonna end up with a $1k+ integrated tube amp.  I am inclined to make a McIntosh amp.

But if I go with a sub $1k tube amp, the lyr, crack, or wa6 are probably the 3 i'll consider.  I'm in no hurry, so I want to make sure I make the right purchase.  I want a very natural sounding tube system alonside my SS systems.  Just not sure how far I wanna go with it.

Thanks!  The top is actually "oil rubbed bronze" from RustOleum's Universal Metallic Spray Paint collection.  It's not black, but dark brown/bronze with some subtle sparkle to it in certain lighting/angles.

Not specific to HD650, but somewhat related: Of course everyone probably knows already about the Vintage Receiver/Amplifier thread, but I've picked up a few old receivers over the past couple/few months, and "hard-to-drive" cans (including orthodynamics) can easily be driven by the HP out of these vintage receivers, with really nice sound as well.  If anyone is on a limited budget, you can get a nice condition older receiver for $35-$75 that will give you an option for driving speakers, speaker taps, or just the HP out.  Get a little retro in your life as well.  
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back