Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #7,922 of 46,514
Quote:

No, the soundstage of the 650 is much better than the M50s. My brother bought a set of M50s and I was very surprised how shallow and tight to you the soundstage was.

No, the M50S doesn't have the soundstage of the 650.  I wasn't surprised by this but I don't think I found it excessively restricted. The bass was impressive for the price.

I kept the 650. The M50S is now a gift.

Sep 28, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #7,923 of 46,514
Quote:
The o2 just doesn't hit the check boxes for me. I just don't enjoy the sound that it produces with any of my headphones....their is just no musicality present for me. The Schitt amps are all about musicality and an emotional experience. I highly recommend them. Only real downside is the heat, but performance for the price can not be beat in my book. 

Enjoy your listing Matt,  Waiting for your new found impressions.

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #7,924 of 46,514
Quote:
The o2 just doesn't hit the check boxes for me. I just don't enjoy the sound that it produces with any of my headphones....their is just no musicality present for me. The Schitt amps are all about musicality and an emotional experience. I highly recommend them. Only real downside is the heat, but performance for the price can not be beat in my book. 

Do you still have your Asgard? Would love to hear impressions out of that since it's all I have. You are going to be a happy boy with that Lyr.

Can't wait to try the 650's again if they arrive today after using the he400's the whole week (as are you with the 400's), that's always the best test!

Sep 28, 2012 at 4:55 PM Post #7,925 of 46,514
Sold the Asgard. 
redface.gif
 Bought the lyr. 
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #7,926 of 46,514
Quote:
Sold the Asgard. 
redface.gif
 Bought the lyr. 
biggrin.gif

Did you ever consider buying a pre-built Crack? I have no idea about it, but it's the highest recommended amp with the 650s around here so it has me curious. I shouldn't even think about buying the 650's so I don't have to screw with tubes and save my wallet!

Sep 28, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #7,927 of 46,514
Quote:
I'm guessing when you say the bass was lacking is because you were using the HD-600 with it. That makes more sense now. Clip+ only has so much power
biggrin.gif

I bet the HD-600 needs 100% volume from the Clip+. That's what my KRK KNS-8400 needs. Around 100% for classical.

Yup! That about sums it up... Still, I feel like I've swallowed a whole lot of snake oil. I never would have imagined the HD600 sounded that good unamped... (I'm sure the same could be said for the HD650; I guess on paper the HD650 are easier to drive...). I think it opens up for me a whole lot of options in looking at amping.

Still the best I've heard was the Just Audio AHA-120 with the HD650; that wasn't really a power house though at only 28mw into 300 ohms... I so wish I understand more of this stuff. Why did that amp sound so good w/ the HD650? Its not because the AHA-120 is a Class A amp, is it? The AHA-120 sounded much more impressive than the E9, P4 or the O2, imo. I imagine its just the $450 or so extra dollars makes for it sound better! (Even though I got it under $400 it was still to rich for me!) 

I'd love to hear what kind of Dac/Amp combos you all are digging right now. 

And if anyone has any insight into what specs I should be looking for in an amp, either for the HD650 or HD600, please let me know! I've tried to read Voldemort's article on power but I don't really get it. I'd like to scientifically look and say "yes, that has enough of what the HD650" needs but I don't know how to tell realy. 

Sep 29, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #7,928 of 46,514
After much more research, I decided to put the hifiman he400 on the list to compete with the 650 and beyer 990.
At 360 usd, its the same price as the 650. Replaceable cable and pads also add the plus comparing to 650. But the expensive equipment needed for 650 are now a minus point vs the easier to drive he400.
One issue with the he400 is comfort. At 440 grams an posibly tight clamp, I dont know if can accept this cans or not. I can buy velour pads no problem, but still the clamp and weight issue is there.
Any comment for the he 400 compared to the 650?
I find the m50 clamp is too much post stretch and the pad is smaller than my ear. It becomes on my ear and add the clamp, serious pain and discomfort after 30-45 mins.
if the he400 got the same issue, then its a no. Will try it later with 990pro when have the time.

Sep 29, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #7,929 of 46,514
Quote:
After much more research, I decided to put the hifiman he400 on the list to compete with the 650 and beyer 990.
At 360 usd, its the same price as the 650. Replaceable cable and pads also add the plus comparing to 650. But the expensive equipment needed for 650 are now a minus point vs the easier to drive he400.
One issue with the he400 is comfort. At 440 grams an posibly tight clamp, I dont know if can accept this cans or not. I can buy velour pads no problem, but still the clamp and weight issue is there.
Any comment for the he 400 compared to the 650?
I find the m50 clamp is too much post stretch and the pad is smaller than my ear. It becomes on my ear and add the clamp, serious pain and discomfort after 30-45 mins.
if the he400 got the same issue, then its a no. Will try it later with 990pro when have the time.

I would say that as someone who is very sensitive to clamp and weight, I have no real issue with either from the he400. The headband can be gently bent to reduce and clamp that would cause a problem with comfort. The weight falls just under what I would call heavy. It's big brother, the he500, is about a 100 grams heavier and it's just too heavy for me. Don't be put off this fantastic hp by those two issues. It would also get you into planar tech which is outstanding. See the review in my signature for more info.

gL!!

Sep 29, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #7,931 of 46,514
Hey guys, so I'm looking for a headphone that will work for at home use as well as on campus traveling. I'm thinking the HD 650s would be perfect for me but I had a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer. 

So just some background, my current set up is just pair of Ultimate Ears TF 10 IEMs with no amp. The sound is awesome but I'm looking to upgrade because I know there is much better and I have the budget. 

My main concern is I need a good portable amp that will work well at home and on the go (I have nothing about amps). I also want to make sure these headphones would be okay for travel use (IE if I'm using them on campus, is the guy sitting next to me going to hate me?). 

Types of music I like are Electronica genres as well as rock and some rap, I like good bass but don't want it to overpower me (I feel like my UE TF 10s leave me wanting more bass). 

Any help is appreciated! 

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #7,932 of 46,514
I wouldn't consider the 650s, or any open back headphone a good choice for portable use. The mesh grills are large and your are going to get all kinds of airborne debris in there, and it will build up, and it can effect the sound. The very first time I heard a set of 650s a new friend brought his set over for me to listen to. The first thing I noticed was incredible distortion in one of the dxrivers. It turns out a common enough problem is that debris (in this case some of his hair) got stuck inside and was being vibrated by the driver. He had to take the casing apart and remove the debris, not something I would think helps keep the headphones in pristine condition. What if the case never goes back just as well and you get some buzzing, or other possible sound issues. Maybe that wouldn't happen, but if you can avoid the risk why not. There are tons of portable options that are decent and are closed backed. I love my DT 770s, they have plenty of great things about them. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #7,933 of 46,514
The hd650 are fully open which mean they leak out every sound and dont stop any outside noise from coming in. So yes that hot chick next to you in the library is gonna be thinking how the hell can this guy listen to Barbie Girl on repeat for 6 hours straight. Honestly the TF10 are already very good but if you want some fullsize headphones get some closed ones so that you wont be bothered by outside noise and you will nkt bother anyone either.

Sep 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #7,934 of 46,514
oh yes, kookajamo, the 770s are great with electronica, I have hours of great stuff on my iPod (Bluetech, Phutureprimitive, Schulman, Aligning Minds, Pitch Black, Thievery Corporation etc) and the 770s deliver. I also have plenty o rock (Tool, Rush, Pink Floyd, Soundgarden, Trimuph and many others) so I can assure you the 770 is a great contender. Couple it with a nice little amp like the E11 and you are in for a portable treat. Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back