Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 13, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #7,456 of 46,514
Quote:
That 's what I did as well. Sonic alone hd 650 is about 90% of lcd 2 and it's better at layering IMO. And after a long day at work, none of us want to do head exercise.
biggrin.gif

i dont think i owned the hd650 and lcd2 at the same time but i think i agree with this statement.  i think the wider stage makes it better at layering... and yes, the lcd2 are a work out.  for me, there was no "forgetting they were there" with the lcd2 like i get with the hd650.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #7,457 of 46,514
Quote:
Wow that's actually very surprising to me.  I will be demoing the LCD-2s sometime in the near future.  I was hoping based on all the reviews I've read, that the LCD-2 would almost be like an upgraded HD650.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the pros and cons of each after comparing them for 5 weeks?

Sure and I'll throw in what I recall of the HE-500 also.

LCD-2 Pro's
-----------------------
Mids are very good and crystal clear, singers seem like they are right in front of you
Bass goes very deep and has nice detail
Highs are not harsh
they are fast

HD650 Pro's
-----------------------
Mids are very good, singers are a step or two back from what the LCD-2 presents
has more mid-bass quantity which can be fun sometimes
Highs are also not harsh (can listen all night with no fatigue)
very quick (just a step slower than the LCD-2 but by no means slow)
Soundstage is further out of the head and has more air
Light on the head and comfortable (I can wear these for hours)

HE-500 Pro's
-----------------------
Instrument separation is superb
Extremely fast (I feel these are a notch faster than the LCD-2)
Highs are not harsh and still have a bit of sparkle to them
Soundstage is almost as wide as the HD650 and has better instrument separation
Mids are fantastic, though I feel the singer is further back than both LCD-2 and HD650
Piano sound amazing on these
Bass also extends very deep
Very balanced headphone (great for any type of music)
Pads are easy to replace and don't cost much (choice of velour or pleather)
reasonably priced

LCD-2 Con's
------------------------
Soundstage is more in your head than out
instrument separation could be better
even though bass extends very low it doesn't stand out as much as you would think from the reputation these headphones have
heavy for long listening sessions
after a while they start to sound suffocating (hd650 with it's air never sounds like this no matter how long I listen)
leather pads can become hot during the summer
Cost almost three times what a HD650 cost from razordog

HD650 Con's
------------------------
bass doesn't extend as deep
bass has a bit of a hump and doesn't sound as tight as the LCD-2 or HE-500
instrument separation could be better

HE-500 Con's
------------------------
Weight is a bit more than I like (though it is more comfortable than the LCD-2)
pads could be a bit bigger around b/c my ear doesn't quite fit inside completely
cable included looks like a DIY project

All three of these are fantastic headphones.  I sold the HE-500 to fund the LCD-2 purchase but if I had it to do over again the HE-500 would NOT be leaving the house.

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #7,458 of 46,514
@brokenthumb

between the HE500 and HD650, if you need to keep only one, which one will leave your house?

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #7,459 of 46,514
Quote:
@brokenthumb

between the HE500 and HD650, if you need to keep only one, which one will leave your house?

It's close but I think the HE-500 would stay.  The HE-500's instrument separation and speed is what really pushes it over the top, I'm a sucker for focusing on and following along to each instrument and the HE-500 does that better than both the HD650 and LCD-2.  I think I would probably like the HD800 b/c of this also.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #7,462 of 46,514
They go plenty of loud even from a PC or a hot DAP. However to fully make use of the fidelity they offer I recon an Objective 2 is a bare minimum. As I recently found out the HD650 on a decent amp is a different headphone than if driven from an inferior one. They are a difficult load for most amplifiers and in my opinion most of the stereotypes associated with them comes from poor amping. When I built my Dynalo the midbass hump was gone and I got a ton of treble in return.

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #7,463 of 46,514
Quote:

It's close but I think the HE-500 would stay.  The HE-500's instrument separation and speed is what really pushes it over the top, I'm a sucker for focusing on and following along to each instrument and the HE-500 does that better than both the HD650 and LCD-2.  I think I would probably like the HD800 b/c of this also.

thank you for your insight. :)

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #7,465 of 46,514
Quote:
Quote:

It's always good to hear when folks find HD650 comparing so well to the $1k+ club!  And +1 on the Lyr combo.  What tubes are you using with them?

Well I ordered them with the GE 6BZ7, but just last night swapped them out for the stock JJs.  The JJs sound a bit more transparent, and I think are a better overall match for the HD650s.  I'm still adjusting to the "reduced" treble (by contrast to the T1s).  Really the only thing that I wish I could change about the 650s after hearing the T1s is reducing the bass a bit.  But....that's why HD600s exist :)

The stock JJs are terrible tubes. Transparent is the last word I would use to describe the sound. If you like the bottom heavy colouration try out some Amperex Orange Globes (A-frames). Very lively sound, with dense midrange and bottom end weight. My favourite tubes for the HD650.

Aug 14, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #7,466 of 46,514
Quote:
You guys both have different opinions :[  Not sure which one to believe.  Another question I have is if the jump from the Sennheiser HD 595 to HD 650 is significant.  Any ideas or comments?

In my opinion, yes. However, as noted above, the quality of your amp will make a big difference in the 650's performance.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #7,468 of 46,514
Quote:
Well my two week demo of the T1's has come to an end, so I'm back to my trusty HD650's.  It's pretty amazing that a headphone of this cost compared to something like the T1 still sounds so good to my ears.  The T1 overall isn't really my cup of tea though; not a fan of tipped up treble, hence why I love the HD650s so much.  These are so easy to listen to, and sound so alive with the Lyr.

Same thing happened to me too.

Had the T1 for a week. Went back to the HD650. Love the hd650.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:50 AM Post #7,470 of 46,514
Quote:
stupid question here. But is it easy for you guys to remove the cable ? =.= 
My right side is easy to remove but my left side stay still =.= 

Idk, I was thinking about trying it one time but neither of mine wanted to budge even a bit so I decided not too. I suppose that was probably a bit paranoid, but they were brand new at the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back