Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2012 at 1:39 AM Post #7,396 of 46,506
Quote:
i stayed away from dakmart because they also sell under dahmart. when a company does something like that, i feel theyre up to something. but i have read that ppl have received their items as described. i myself, would rather stay away from a company that thinks changing its name by 1 letter, one being an authorized dealer, and the other not... is doing things right.

I wised up and skipped them. I did some more digging and found a coupon and got them from Razordog. Brand new in box, with manufacturer warranty from an authorized dealer for $369? Razordog is my new hero. He'll definitely be getting a xmas card this year.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #7,397 of 46,506
Quote:
I wised up and skipped them. I did some more digging and found a coupon and got them from Razordog. Brand new in box, with manufacturer warranty from an authorized dealer for $369? Razordog is my new hero. He'll definitely be getting a xmas card this year.

yea hes really great. congrats on the purchase.  

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #7,398 of 46,506
Quote:

yea hes really great. congrats on the purchase.  

Thanks. I have been wishing for 5 years. That was enough. What would be the cheapest amp that would drive them reasonably well until my wife lets me have my credit card back? I figure I can do the burn in out of my Sony receiver for the first couple days, but I'll need something to amp them after that. When I finally get a more proper amp, is there going to be a huge difference between a Fiio e17, a xonar essnce stx, or an actual reciever/amp?

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #7,399 of 46,506
Quote:
Thanks. I have been wishing for 5 years. That was enough. What would be the cheapest amp that would drive them reasonably well until my wife lets me have my credit card back? I figure I can do the burn in out of my Sony receiver for the first couple days, but I'll need something to amp them after that. When I finally get a more proper amp, is there going to be a huge difference between a Fiio e17, a xonar essnce stx, or an actual reciever/amp?

ive been driving them out of my brothers fiio e17 just fine, great product by the way a portable amp and a quality DAC.

Aug 9, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #7,400 of 46,506
Quote:
ive been driving them out of my brothers fiio e17 just fine, great product by the way a portable amp and a quality DAC.

I figured. It just seems so small to a substantial job. But that many audiophiles can't be wrong. I eventually want to build up so that I can have a receive to drive them, but I still really like the idea of the essence stx as I'll primarily have them hooked to the computer. Everything I've read about says that ASUS actually did some good work on it as for as the parts they used and isolating it from the electrical current in the case.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #7,401 of 46,506
Quote:
I figured. It just seems so small to a substantial job. But that many audiophiles can't be wrong. I eventually want to build up so that I can have a receive to drive them, but I still really like the idea of the essence stx as I'll primarily have them hooked to the computer. Everything I've read about says that ASUS actually did some good work on it as for as the parts they used and isolating it from the electrical current in the case.

Essence STX + HD650 is a killer combo that easily beats some standalone $600 DAC/AMPs I've heard. Since you're only paying for the board and not a chassi or powersupply, and asus is such a big manufacturer, you really get a lot of sound for your money.

If you're looking for one of the best bang-for-the buck deals in audio HD650+Essence STX is right up there.

Aug 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #7,402 of 46,506
Quote:

Seriously. I was shocked at how good the highs are as well as the detail. I almost think at times that what I read about the HD650 does not describe the same headphone that I own.  

I think this might be to do with the old version vs the new version as apparently the newer silver ones are a fair bit brighter? (this is what I have read I have not tried both) To my ears my new version HD650 are quite bright on flat EQ. Well not bright but not "veiled and dark" just natural sounding with detail which is there but not shoved in your face.

Beyer DT990 is what I would call bright or even Denon D2000 has bright treble IMO.

Aug 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM Post #7,403 of 46,506
Yeah, IMO the HD650 isn't dark sounding, it's got a lot of treble energy (talking about the old version).

Quote:
Essence STX + HD650 is a killer combo that easily beats some standalone $600 DAC/AMPs I've heard. Since you're only paying for the board and not a chassi or powersupply, and asus is such a big manufacturer, you really get a lot of sound for your money.

If you're looking for one of the best bang-for-the buck deals in audio HD650+Essence STX is right up there.

Agreed about the ST + 650. And for future upgrade, it gets even better when you add an external amp and use ST(X)'s lineout.

Aug 9, 2012 at 11:59 AM Post #7,404 of 46,506
Quote:
+1

Same here. I have no complains swapping between the PFEs with grey filters and the HD650s. Beautiful musical presentation and detailed as well. I don't feel like the highs are rolled off...I don't understand *shrug*.  I teared up from how beautiful the following artists sang through the cans: Jackie Evancho, Sarah Brightman, Andy Mckee's guitar <3.

I think a dedicated amp helps a lot.

For high ultra-sopranos like Brightman and Evancho I woudln't listen to it on anything but HD650!
biggrin.gif
  I really would not want to hear them on HD800, HD700, Beyers or Grados
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Yeah, IMO the HD650 isn't dark sounding, it's got a lot of treble energy (talking about the old version).

Agreed about the ST + 650. And for future upgrade, it gets even better when you add an external amp and use ST(X)'s lineout.

HD650 (silver) is still fairly dark, but not as dark as the old black silk ones.  But compared to HE-400 they're quite bright.  There's a lot of upper-mids energy, but the treble rolls off before it becomes a problem.  More importantly it doesn't have freaky spikes at 1khz, 4khz, 8khz like other cans.  It's a nice clean, carpeted room sort of sound.   The brighter cans have a sort of "glass and steel dome as a listening room" sort of vibe
rolleyes.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #7,405 of 46,506
Quote:

More importantly it doesn't have freaky spikes at 1khz, 4khz, 8khz like other cans.  It's a nice clean, carpeted room sort of sound.   The brighter cans have a sort of "glass and steel dome as a listening room" sort of vibe
rolleyes.gif

That is a good description of the sound lol.

Alternatively you could say the HD650 have a nice smooth sound whereas the brighter cans have a "repeatedly stabbing my ear drums with a sharp implement" sort of vibe.

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #7,409 of 46,506
Quote:
I don't find them forgiving at all either.  They're much harsher than my dt880 and k702.  I can't even listen to TV rips anymore because the artifacts are so present.

Which impedance is your 880?  if it's a low impedance it could be that the DT880 is getting amped better.  But it's hard to get harsher than DD880's 8.5khz treble spike.  Unless you get a Grado.  K702 gets close to the harshness, but isn't all the way there. 

HD650 isn't forgiving, but it's not harsh like those two are.  That's it's claim to fame
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #7,410 of 46,506
Quote:

Which impedance is your 880?  if it's a low impedance it could be that the DT880 is getting amped better.  But it's hard to get harsher than DD880's 8.5khz treble spike.  Unless you get a Grado.  K702 gets close to the harshness, but isn't all the way there. 

HD650 isn't forgiving, but it's not harsh like those two are.  That's it's claim to fame
smily_headphones1.gif

Low quality sources will give you a low quality experience with the 650's or any other hi end set of head phones. Garbage in/Garbage out is not just a computer phenomenon.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back