Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #7,367 of 46,514
Violectric v181/v200

Burson HA-160

Meier Audio Concerto

Harmony Design 90

Or if you're feeling adventurous you can try building your own tube amp: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=224&rn=442&action=show_detail

The lower end amps like nuforce don't really make enough of difference compared to whatever you typically use right away (cd-player, computer sound card etc) to justify the upgrade. If you want a real upgrade you'll have to buy something that's at least midrange or above, not budget.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:42 AM Post #7,368 of 46,514
Quote:
What would be a good starter tube amp for my HD 650s? Reasonably priced, but good quality. I don't mind a used one.

I've never heard one but price wise I think Little Dot might be appealing. Again, never heard one, just tossing that out there to be researched.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #7,369 of 46,514
Quote:
would like to hear your thoughts.

Sure, briefly. It's got lush mids with sparkly highs. It's not thin sounding nor dry
like many SS amp I've heard. Bass is tight and extended. It's really not an over
tubey sound though. But that doesn't mean I'd call it SS like either.
Transparency lacks, but is fairly detailed.

Aug 8, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #7,370 of 46,514
Quote:
I've never heard one but price wise I think Little Dot might be appealing. Again, never heard one, just tossing that out there to be researched.

Same here - never heard it but certainly interesting! I'd 10 times rather buy this than some nuforce or similar.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/289765/review-of-little-dot-mkv-dual-mono-solid-state-headphone-amplifier

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #7,371 of 46,514
One more HD650 fan here. 
L3000.gif

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #7,374 of 46,514
Quote:
Yea, is this what you heard from 1 person? Furthermore, I disagree.

Quote:
Sure, briefly. It's got lush mids with sparkly highs. It's not thin sounding nor dry
like many SS amp I've heard. Bass is tight and extended. It's really not an over
tubey sound though. But that doesn't mean I'd call it SS like either.
Transparency lacks, but is fairly detailed.

I can't comment specifically on the Valhalla or Asgard, however, common wisdom in the more general Schiit threads in the amp forums suggests that Valhalla and Asgard actually sound fairly similar, and some prefer Asgard between the two for performance unless using higher impedance cans like Beyers.  HD650 however is right in the middle of the impedance range so probably shifts more than some cans as well.

From what I've heard though is that it's not so much that Valhalla is SS like so much as that Asgard is as warm-tube-like as possible for an SS at that price point
wink.gif
   Minus the 2nd order harmonics though, of course.

All that said the tube rolling feature in newer Valhallas makes Valhalla a far more interesting option, though, IMO.

Aug 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #7,375 of 46,514
Quote:

I can't comment specifically on the Valhalla or Asgard, however, common wisdom in the more general Schiit threads in the amp forums suggests that Valhalla and Asgard actually sound fairly similar, and some prefer Asgard between the two for performance unless using higher impedance cans like Beyers.  HD650 however is right in the middle of the impedance range so probably shifts more than some cans as well.

From what I've heard though is that it's not so much that Valhalla is SS like so much as that Asgard is as warm-tube-like as possible for an SS at that price point
wink.gif
   Minus the 2nd order harmonics though, of course.

All that said the tube rolling feature in newer Valhallas makes Valhalla a far more interesting option, though, IMO.

Oh yea, I didn't even mention how further the sound tweaking goes with Valhalla tube rolling. Good reminder. 

Aug 8, 2012 at 4:57 PM Post #7,379 of 46,514
Quote:
trust us, its an investment 
smily_headphones1.gif

you'll be thanking yourself later.

Seriously, the HD650 was way better than I imagined. I've enjoyed the HD600 for a ton...but I find, though the sound signature is different, the HD650 does just so much better! I've never heard the TOTL phones, but honestly its tough to imagine something being that much better than these...especially, though not only, taking price into factor! 

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM Post #7,380 of 46,514
Quote:
trust us, its an investment 
smily_headphones1.gif

you'll be thanking yourself later.

Headphones are an "attractive nuisance." First, a cutie named DT 990 moves in with you. You're introduced to its friends, the Must-Have-New-Music family. Then, the groupies start arriving: Mr DAC and Ms Amp. Next thing you know, DT 990, an HD 650 you met on the Internet, and you are having threesomes.

Investment indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back