Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
May 2, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #6,616 of 46,514
Yeah my 650s work alright out of my smartphone although the treble pops a bit, but that being said an E7 might be a good holdover. My first amp with the 650s was an E7 and I HATED it though but I think they might not have been burned in enough as slowly the soundstage came to sound realistic. At first listen out of the box with the E7, everything sounded like it was coming directly from the left and right, no soundstage. I have a feeling the E7 might be OK as a hold-over. (I was using it as a DAC also by USB but line out from it with an adapter to a nice tube amp, DV 337, it was OK so I don't think it was the DAC causing my issues)
Quote:
I am listening to the HD 650 unamped from an Ipod Nano latest rev. But it is the European version that has limited volume. Even though I have to turn up the volume to near max, the sound is very good already.

May 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #6,617 of 46,514
I haven't listened to my rig in a while. I should rectify that.

May 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #6,618 of 46,514
Been using the HeadRoom Triple Stack (UDAC + BUDA + PSU) for the last few hours and it has some of the most powerful bass that I have ever heard on the Sennhesier HD650's.

May 2, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #6,619 of 46,514
Worth the price? I've seen that HeadRoom's prices can be a bit high...
Quote:
Been using the HeadRoom Triple Stack (UDAC + BUDA + PSU) for the last few hours and it has some of the most powerful bass that I have ever heard on the Sennhesier HD650's.

May 2, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #6,622 of 46,514
Quote:
Is it a review set?  Or a loaner?  Or did you just spend $3K on your HD650s?

This unit is a review set. If I was going to spend $3k on my HD650's, it would go toward an Eddie Current Zana Deux or WA5LE & tube upgrades.

May 3, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #6,623 of 46,514
FWIW I just got myself a set of Denon AH-D5000 cans to go with my HD-650's and I must say Im glad to have the compliment as the D5000's brought the heavier bass I was missing in certain genres of music I like. Im powering both with the NuForce Icon HDP and feeding the HDP signal from the Logitech Squeezebox Touch via optical. Listening to FLAC files, Pandora streamed and MP3's. The D5000's are in the process of burning in right now to see what changes. Ill give them a week or so of 24 hour play at volumes a bit louder than I listen and we'll see how they sound then.

May 3, 2012 at 7:19 PM Post #6,624 of 46,514
I just got a new amp (NAD 326Bee) and I see what people mean by these headphones scale well with amps....

Since I got this amp the bass has cleared up significantly to the point I can add 10db to the EQ and not even get any distortion...

TBH if you EQ these headphones and use a good amplifier then the bass response is pretty damn decent.... Ok so it doesnt quite have the impact and depth of the D2000's but it is pretty darn good still and not flabby at all...

May 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #6,625 of 46,514
I am planning to get a after market cable for my HD650. Regarding the termination, I am going for the sleeveless cable, should I go for 4 Pin Balanced XLR or Dual 3 Pin Balanced XLR? I am thinking of getting 4 Pin Balanced XLR because it is less heavy and less bulky. Is there any sound quality different between 4 Pin Balanced XLR and Dual 3 Pin Balanced XLR?

May 4, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #6,628 of 46,514
Quote:
I am planning to get a after market cable for my HD650. Regarding the termination, I am going for the sleeveless cable, should I go for 4 Pin Balanced XLR or Dual 3 Pin Balanced XLR? I am thinking of getting 4 Pin Balanced XLR because it is less heavy and less bulky. Is there any sound quality different between 4 Pin Balanced XLR and Dual 3 Pin Balanced XLR?

Quote:

Quote:

I agree to agree, no.

Ok. I'll go with the 4 Pin Balanced XLR termination.

I am interested in Toxic Cables Cryo OCC Copper Cable, Cryo OCC SPC/Copper Cable and Cryo Pure OCC Stranded Silver cable for HD650. I am not sure which one is suitable for me. I want a cable which has a darker sound or neutral sound but not a bright cable. I love the bass of HD650 and I don't want to lose that. I am leaning toward Cryo OCC SPC/Copper Cable. Any thought?

May 4, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #6,629 of 46,514
Quote:

Ok. I'll go with the 4 Pin Balanced XLR termination.

I am interested in Toxic Cables Cryo OCC Copper Cable, Cryo OCC SPC/Copper Cable and Cryo Pure OCC Stranded Silver cable for HD650. I am not sure which one is suitable for me. I want a cable which has a darker sound or neutral sound but not a bright cable. I love the bass of HD650 and I don't want to lose that. I am leaning toward Cryo OCC SPC/Copper Cable. Any thought?

The all Copper Cyro OCC cable. You don't want the brightish sound of the SPC stranded silver.

May 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #6,630 of 46,514
Since I lack the funds to buy both an amp and these headphones at the same time, is it better if I buy the amp first and then get these? i only have an FiiO e7 and I doubt that can get anywhere near juicing these things.

The first time I ever listened to my 650s was through my iPod > E7. They did surprisingly well. I had to turn the volume up pretty high so battery life WILL suffer, but the E7 performed surprisingly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back