Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #6,256 of 46,520

Quote:
I found vocals of my HD650 is more from the right side compare to the AKGs.i'd like to ask that is that all right.

Were the AKG vocals more central than the HD650?  I've always found vocals for my music were pretty well centered with my HD650's.  Perhaps check that the cables are firmly connected on both sides. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #6,257 of 46,520
I don't notice vocals tending to one side or the other.  Also I don't experience any veil, I do have a custom cable, but listening to "Dragonforce - Through the Fire and Flames" right now and don't seem slow or dark to me.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #6,259 of 46,520

Quote:
Hi wetin, I see you are using the E17 and would appreciate if you could share with me the kind of SQ you hear with the HD650. IMO, I think that the E9 is very neutral and would not colour the sound much thus trying to find out the sound signature of the E17. As mentioned in a earlier post, I might just need a  portable USB Dac/Amp if I can't find a suitable DAP to pair up with my coming Heir Audio 8.A. As I prefer to travel light, I'm hoping I can find a matching stand alone DAP for my 8.A and put the rest of the fund towards a quality USB Dac to the E9 driving the HD650. Many thanks to all.

I don't have E9 to compared with but I would say it is quite neutral. E17 is a good portable amp/dac. The neutrality also depends on the earphone/headphone you are using. When I use it with Bose Mie2i, it sounds bright. When I use it with HD650, it sound neutral. However, if it is too dark or bright, you can always adjust the treble or bass using the built-in EQ. The built-in EQ has -10 and +10 treble and bass adjustment in the increment of 2. Hopefully this answer your question. I think is still hard to get the E17 (you have to preorder) but not as hard as 2 months ago. You can read more about E17 in the forum below and what headfonia said about E17.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/2265#post_8253867

http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #6,260 of 46,520

Quote:
Hi wetin, I see you are using the E17 and would appreciate if you could share with me the kind of SQ you hear with the HD650. IMO, I think that the E9 is very neutral and would not colour the sound much thus trying to find out the sound signature of the E17. As mentioned in a earlier post, I might just need a  portable USB Dac/Amp if I can't find a suitable DAP to pair up with my coming Heir Audio 8.A. As I prefer to travel light, I'm hoping I can find a matching stand alone DAP for my 8.A and put the rest of the fund towards a quality USB Dac to the E9 driving the HD650. Many thanks to all.

Quote:

I don't have E9 to compared with but I would say it is quite neutral. E17 is a good portable amp/dac. The neutrality also depends on the earphone/headphone you are using. When I use it with Bose Mie2i, it sounds bright. When I use it with HD650, it sound neutral. However, if it is too dark or bright, you can always adjust the treble or bass using the built-in EQ. The built-in EQ has -10 and +10 treble and bass adjustment in the increment of 2. Hopefully this answer your question. I think is still hard to get the E17 (you have to preorder) but not as hard as 2 months ago. You can read more about E17 in the forum below and what headfonia said about E17.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought/2265#post_8253867

http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/

The Heir Audio 8.A is a high end IEM. I am not sure whether E17 will be able to fully drive it. Most probably it could. Try asking the headfiers in the E17 impression forum.

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #6,262 of 46,520
Ok thanks wetin and Sixthfall, have read both threads but lost tracks since it has 154 pages to it. Not being lazy to go thru the thread again but want to gather info from actual user with the HD650.
Anyway, both the HRT and E17 falls into my budget range and will try to go thru the thread again. Many thanks.

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #6,263 of 46,520

Quote:
Ok thanks wetin and Sixthfall, have read both threads but lost tracks since it has 154 pages to it. Not being lazy to go thru the thread again but want to gather info from actual user with the HD650.
Anyway, both the HRT and E17 falls into my budget range and will try to go thru the thread again. Many thanks.

Good luck!!

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #6,264 of 46,520
I am using E17 to drive my HD650 via USB DAC on my desktop and it is quite enough and does it job pretty well. My only gripe with E17 is it can't provide enough juice on my HD650 when connected to a low powered source, NMT (Kaiboer H1055+) in particular, when watching movies.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #6,265 of 46,520

Quote:
I am using E17 to drive my HD650 via USB DAC on my desktop and it is quite enough and does it job pretty well. My only gripe with E17 is it can't provide enough juice on my HD650 when connected to a low powered source, NMT (Kaiboer H1055+) in particular, when watching movies.

Does it have l low and high gain setting? That might help a bit too.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #6,266 of 46,520
Decided I'll write up a review of the HD650 and compare it to the HD800 over the coming weeks. Here is my contribution so far in terms of pictures:

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #6,268 of 46,520
Is there anywhere I could call in and get these for 400 or under or am I stuck looking at used pairs? And, how does the soundstage compare to AKG Q701s? I find the Q701s a little too distant sometimes, a little too large, especially for certain rock recordings or poorly done recordings that have instruments thrown all into the extremes of the soundstage. Are the HD 650s a little more realistic? How do they do for films and games? 

Mar 28, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #6,269 of 46,520

Quote:
Is there anywhere I could call in and get these for 400 or under or am I stuck looking at used pairs? And, how does the soundstage compare to AKG Q701s? I find the Q701s a little too distant sometimes, a little too large, especially for certain rock recordings or poorly done recordings that have instruments thrown all into the extremes of the soundstage. Are the HD 650s a little more realistic? How do they do for films and games? 

If you can wait for sales at Amazon. I got mine for $350 (new) last December during Christmas sales.

Mar 28, 2012 at 3:44 AM Post #6,270 of 46,520
I'd say if you don't like the soundstage, yes the 650's are going to suit you better, they do games and movies just fine, as far as the Price there is always razordog deals, an authorized seller that selsl on ebay, you're still covered under warranty, since your invoice from paypal to him is your reciept. He keeps items like this listed as private also. Make him an offer, or wait. Many forum members buy from him. Never seen a compaint that I recall.  good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back