Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 21, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #6,181 of 46,514

Quote:
Borrowed a HE-6 from a friend and compared to my HD650. He-6 has more details, better mid and treble. However, the upper treble is too high for most songs that I listened to. I listened to mostly current popular songs (pop, dance and soul genres). I have to use the EQ to lower down the upper treble. HE-6 is also lack of punchy and solid bass when compared to HD650. For the type of songs I am listening to, I still prefer HD650. As for comfort, HD650 feels more comfortable on the head. The pressure are more even on the head. I still haven't heard the LCD2/3 and HD800 yet. Until then, I am sticking with HD650.

By the way, HD650 sound awesome with Bifrost and Lyr and I still haven't upgrade the tubes, wires and fuse yet.

My setup: Laptop (flac) -> AudioQuest Forest USB cable -> Bifrost -> Lyr with stock 6BZ7 tubes -> HD650.

Sweet impressions. Even though the HE-6 sound is undeniably legendary, I prefer the HD650 over everything else I've listened to, that includes the HD800, the T1, and even the K1000.

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #6,182 of 46,514
Well I have my 650s and while they clamp my head a little hard.....I love them!  A week after they came I got the Schiit Asgard and I have to say that it really is a great combo.  The cans with the amp are fast and the bass feels very nice.  Compared to the STX amp the Asgard brings out the highs more and makes music sound better (lifting the "veil" people talk about?).  While the change is minor, it is definitely noticeable and I did not even have to compare the two.  Right after I plugged in the headphones to the amp I could hear the difference in the treble and the bass.

For the music I listen to these are some GREAT headphones!  If you are looking for something to listen to DnB, House, Dance, Electronic, Metal, Rock, and Progressive Rock then I think you will really love these cans.  Although, it would be hard to find someone who DOESN'T like these cans IMO.  Aside from them crushing my head a little.  :p

About how long does it take for the clamping force to lessen anyways?

Mar 22, 2012 at 4:18 AM Post #6,183 of 46,514
Glad you're enjoying the Senns.  Their laid-back nature makes them so easy for listening and long sessions.  For the clamping issue, try bending the headband to loosen the "death-grip" clamping.  Bend by holding the two earpieces, and slowly bend incrementally.  I had to do that to my HD650s.  Be gentle, and be careful.

Quote:
Although, it would be hard to find someone who DOESN'T like these cans IMO.  Aside from them crushing my head a little.  :p

Mar 22, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #6,184 of 46,514

Quote:
Glad you're enjoying the Senns.  Their laid-back nature makes them so easy for listening and long sessions.  For the clamping issue, try bending the headband to loosen the "death-grip" clamping.  Bend by holding the two earpieces, and slowly bend incrementally.  I had to do that to my HD650s.  Be gentle, and be careful.

Ah!  That is much better now!  I could feel right when they were starting to give a little and that is when I stopped.  Now they fit like the 595's used to, just with smaller earpieces.  
smile.gif

I have been comparing them to the 595's a lot today and I really like them.  The 595's have a more "in your face" (or ears) sound in the highs, but I do not consider that a good thing.  The 650's have them a little farther "back" which I like since your ears are more sensitive to higher pitched noises (I mean that a lower dB high pitch will sound just as loud as a higher dB low pitch sound) so it evens things out very well.  Plus the bass is just so nice for Electronic music, DnB, and Metal.  These really are great headphones!   
beyersmile.png

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #6,185 of 46,514

Quote:

I would certainly not use that way to bend them as that could very much damage the headband. You are supposed to bend the tiny metal part that is between the plastic headband and the earpiece, start by extending the earpiece to it's maximum length.

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #6,187 of 46,514
Hi, would really appreciate any feedbacks on how 's the Fiio E17/E9 combo with the HD650. I know it's not the best but right now I only have budget to upgrade to a decent DAC from my E7. Hopefully you guys with experience can give me some insight. Many Thanks.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #6,188 of 46,514

I asked a question regarding the E9 on post 6149 of this thread. Basically, it's good enough. I've also just recently been told that to really compare/beat with the E9 you're probably going to have to spend four times what a E9 new costs. I'm not saying I never will... but I won't be any time soon! I'd love to hear the input of anyone else though, too.

Quote:
Hi, would really appreciate any feedbacks on how 's the Fiio E17/E9 combo with the HD650. I know it's not the best but right now I only have budget to upgrade to a decent DAC from my E7. Hopefully you guys with experience can give me some insight. Many Thanks.

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:26 PM Post #6,189 of 46,514
Quote:
I asked a question regarding the E9 on post 6149 of this thread. Basically, it's good enough. I've also just recently been told that to really compare/beat with the E9 you're probably going to have to spend four times what a E9 new costs. I'm not saying I never will... but I won't be any time soon! I'd love to hear the input of anyone else though, too.

I'm pretty sure the Nuforce Icon HD amp would beat the E9, though I've never heard the E9.  It's only $300 new and includes a very high-end dac as well...

Mar 22, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #6,191 of 46,514
I've read a lot about both amps and listened to a lot of headphones through my HDP at meets.  The HDP amp can drive pretty much anything very very well.  Only for top tier cans will you want something more substantial, or if you are not happy with the sound signature.  The 6 moons review also raves about how much of  a bargain the unit is considering a comparable amp alone would run you at least the price of the HDP.  That's comparable, not better.

The FIIO seems like a good budget amp and that is what the company specializes in, budget gear.  NuForce is a very high-end company which has recently brought their technology to more consumer friendly designs and price ranges.

Mar 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #6,193 of 46,514

Some people regard the NFB-12 to be better than the E7/E9 combo, others do not. From what I've seen people are divided about 50/50 when it comes to E7/E9 vs. NFB-12. They are very similarly priced as well.

I have not heard the E7/E9 combo, but I can tell you that the NFB-12 performs excellently for it's price.

Mar 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #6,194 of 46,514

Quote:
Well I have my 650s and while they clamp my head a little hard.....I love them!  A week after they came I got the Schiit Asgard and I have to say that it really is a great combo.  The cans with the amp are fast and the bass feels very nice.  Compared to the STX amp the Asgard brings out the highs more and makes music sound better (lifting the "veil" people talk about?).  While the change is minor, it is definitely noticeable and I did not even have to compare the two.  Right after I plugged in the headphones to the amp I could hear the difference in the treble and the bass.

For the music I listen to these are some GREAT headphones!  If you are looking for something to listen to DnB, House, Dance, Electronic, Metal, Rock, and Progressive Rock then I think you will really love these cans.  Although, it would be hard to find someone who DOESN'T like these cans IMO.  Aside from them crushing my head a little.  :p

I clamped my HD650 on a box slightly wider than my head. After a few weeks, the clamping force will significantly lessen. I think it is safer doing it this way. Instead of a box, you can use books too or combination of both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back