Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 4, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #5,941 of 46,499
The HD650's are so amazing.  I've loved owning them for the last four years.  I'm now on the hunt to improve them.  I posted in the amp section awhile back hoping to get some AMP suggestions but i was ultimately told to pickup the Audeze LCD2 instead of upgrading my other components.  I have since tried the Audeze LCD2 and found it too uncomfortable to wear for any length of time over 30 minutes.

So I'm sticking with my HD 650's and after reading through about 200 pages of this thread trying to find some good ideas of what to buy next here is the list I've compiled:

Suggested combo for HD650 -

--Amps--

Schiit Lyr with Lorenz Stuttgart tubes
Woo A3
SPL Auditor (one reviewer mentioned my current Headroom Micro Amp was better)
Zana Deux SE (slightly out of my budget range)
Headamp GS-1
Graham Slee Solo SRG II
Darkvoice 337
Ear+ HD Super II

--DAC/Amp combo--

Matrix Cube
Nuforce Icon HDP
Grace Design m902

--DAC--
Bifrost
PS Audio DLIII

--Cables--

Stefan AudioArt E WS Noir
Double Helix Molecule
Headphile BlackCrystal

I listen to a wide range of music but mostly rock and electronic music (speed metal, hair metal, drum'n bass, dubstep).  What should I buy next?  My budget is around $1500.

**forgot to mention my setup is in my sig   =)

Mar 4, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #5,942 of 46,499

Quote:
Quote:

I love my HDP and have had my D5000's paired with it for quite a while now.  However, I found myself wanting to take off my headphones after a rather short time due to how in your face the Denon signature is.  I have just ordered a brand new pair of 650's and am really looking forward to seeing how they sound before and after burn in with the HDP!

Huh, good to know about the D5000's. I have been thinking of making those my next pair of cans as I want a closed ear set.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #5,943 of 46,499
I find the HD650's to be on par with higher end headphones when amped properly. They (when driven with the right amplification and source) can easily compete with the likes of the HE-500 and the LCD-2. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but there's no denying how awesome the HD650 can sound.

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #5,944 of 46,499
I am running a pair of denons d-5000 with a burson 160 ds and a littledot mk3  would the hd650 go well with either of these amps what im looking for is good phones for classical and jazz would the 650 be a good choice or a bad choice or does anybody have a better suggestion .Thanks

Mar 4, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #5,945 of 46,499
I can't say much to help you pick out your new setup, but I can give you some information on the HDP.  There are a couple things of note I think a potential buyer should keep in mind about this particular piece of hardware.

1. If you listen to high resolution files (higher than 16 bit, 44.1 khz sampling rate), the Icon HDP does not support the 88.2 khz sampling rate and such files will have to be resampled.  It supports up to 96khz over USB and 176/192 khz sampling rates via s/pdif, but that one particular sampling rate will not play.

2.  The HDP differs from the Icon HD in that it has a preamp which provides a pair of RCA analogue outs that you could run to something like another amplifier if you really only wanted the HDP as a DAC.  If you feel that you would get no use out of the preamp, the Icon HD is the exact same hardware otherwise, but costs about $100 less.  Neither is going to come close to taxing your budget, but not spending $100 unnecessarily is always nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundbot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other content clipped for space.

--DAC/Amp combo--

Matrix Cube
Nuforce Icon HDP
Grace Design m902

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #5,946 of 46,499
Quote:
I can't say much to help you pick out your new setup, but I can give you some information on the HDP.  There are a couple things of note I think a potential buyer should keep in mind about this particular piece of hardware.

1. If you listen to high resolution files (higher than 16 bit, 44.1 khz sampling rate), the Icon HDP does not support the 88.2 khz sampling rate and such files will have to be resampled.  It supports up to 96khz over USB and 176/192 khz sampling rates via s/pdif, but that one particular sampling rate will not play.

2.  The HDP differs from the Icon HD in that it has a preamp which provides a pair of RCA analogue outs that you could run to something like another amplifier if you really only wanted the HDP as a DAC.  If you feel that you would get no use out of the preamp, the Icon HD is the exact same hardware otherwise, but costs about $100 less.  Neither is going to come close to taxing your budget, but not spending $100 unnecessarily is always nice.

That's weird, my HDP plays 88.2kHz tracks.  I just now tested it with the 88.2 track on the Head-Fi Open Your Ears compilation.

My HDP is connected to my computer's SPDIF output.

Mar 5, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #5,947 of 46,499

Quote:

Seems like the (Tenor?) USB chipset is the limiting factor on 88.2k playback.

Mar 5, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #5,948 of 46,499
I am running a pair of denons d-5000 with a burson 160 ds and a littledot mk3  would the hd650 go well with either of these amps what im looking for is good phones for classical and jazz would the 650 be a good choice or a bad choice or does anybody have a better suggestion .Thanks

I personally own the MK IV and it's an excellent combination with the HD 650. Additionally I have heard many people being satisfied with the MK III / HD 650 combo.

I think it's a great combination, and I see no reason not to go for it.

The HD650's are so amazing.  I've loved owning them for the last four years.  I'm now on the hunt to improve them.  I posted in the amp section awhile back hoping to get some AMP suggestions but i was ultimately told to pickup the Audeze LCD2 instead of upgrading my other components.  I have since tried the Audeze LCD2 and found it too uncomfortable to wear for any length of time over 30 minutes.

So I'm sticking with my HD 650's and after reading through about 200 pages of this thread trying to find some good ideas of what to buy next here is the list I've compiled:

I listen to a wide range of music but mostly rock and electronic music (speed metal, hair metal, drum'n bass, dubstep).  What should I buy next?  My budget is around $1500.

If your budget is that high I seriously would go with new headphones. The LCD-2 wasn't comfortable? Try the Denon D7000 or the Hifiman HE-500. While I haven't tried these myself, I heard their comfort was excellent as well. (not to mention their sound)

Mar 5, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #5,949 of 46,499

Quote:

I would add the Decware CSP2 to the list. I just got mine and it's been a perfect match with the HD650. Possibly the best I ever heard. They don't go on sale very often, but can be had for about ~600 used. I've listened to a number of mid-tier amps with the HD650 including LD MKIII, MAD EAR+ HD, MF X-CAN V3, Gilmore Lite, m902, etc. and nothing has impressed me as much as this. The only other route I'd go is balanced. 

I'm with you as far as the LCD-2 being uncomfortable. It does sound impressive, but can't wear it for very long. 

Mar 5, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #5,950 of 46,499
@Tilpo - Coincidentally I might be picking up the D7k's for the office.  (office mates hate the sound leakage of my 595's.  I'll give the LCD2's another shot when I go to the audio shop again next weekend but I remember the weight being really heavy.

@SemiAudiophile - Thanks for the suggestion.  I will be adding that to my list.  Now I need to find a place to audition it.  Hehe.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #5,952 of 46,499
I agree with you completely.  With a proper set up, HD650 offers a different presentation to HD800, but just as enjoyable. IMO, it is the best value by far in head-fi.

Quote:
I find the HD650's to be on par with higher end headphones when amped properly. They (when driven with the right amplification and source) can easily compete with the likes of the HE-500 and the LCD-2. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but there's no denying how awesome the HD650 can sound.

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #5,953 of 46,499
I don't know if the Lyr counts as a "proper" amp, but my HD650's are way behind my HE-500 on it. But yea, the HD650 is still an awesome headphone. 

Quote:

Mar 5, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #5,954 of 46,499
I have 650's and 598's and a variety of headroom amps (I'm becoming a bit of a fan boy
for Headroom) and can speak to the "can others hear me) issue.  It simply hasn't been
an issue for me.  I don't listen to metal at skullcrushing volume, but at  what are normal
levels for me with a variety of music, the level of leakage into the room is pretty low.

I've listened to some far more expensive cans and haven't yet heard one that has wooed me
enough to buy.  some do a little of this or that better, but the 650 sounds "just right" to me and
I've been an audiophile (although not a headphile) for 40 years.  I think you're at a price point where
the increments in improvement are there...they get  increasingly smaller.
Hibuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back