Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #5,342 of 46,525
The BUDA does not have a built-in DAC currently, though yes, it is above the price-range of the original inquirer. I think we just get sidetracked talking about it.

Quote:
You guys realize the BUDA has a built in DAC and costs $1600 right?

Dec 22, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #5,343 of 46,525
anybody tried the graham slee solo amplifiers on the HD650?
whats your feedback?

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #5,344 of 46,525
Yeah my bad I just thought I might say that accepting  corrections because I wasn't completely sure, but it does cost >$1k right? When I saw someone say next balanced amp and saw that I was like WHOA big price jump

Quote:
The BUDA does not have a built-in DAC currently, though yes, it is above the price-range of the original inquirer. I think we just get sidetracked talking about it.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #5,345 of 46,525
Believe the BUDA goes for $1700--so yeah, it's pricey. Seems like Headroom products tend to be a bit on the pricier side by and large, though once you get one in your hands you'll understand why. They may not be very flashy, but it's hard to deny their build quality. (And I'm just talking about their Micro line, though it looks like everything else they produce is along the same lines.)

Quote:
Yeah my bad I just thought I might say that accepting  corrections because I wasn't completely sure, but it does cost >$1k right? When I saw someone say next balanced amp and saw that I was like WHOA big price jump

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #5,346 of 46,525

Quote:
Believe the BUDA goes for $1700--so yeah, it's pricey. Seems like Headroom products tend to be a bit on the pricier side by and large, though once you get one in your hands you'll understand why. They may not be very flashy, but it's hard to deny their build quality. (And I'm just talking about their Micro line, though it looks like everything else they produce is along the same lines.)

Hmm. The BUDA paired with their desktop DAC seems really nice. May have to see if I can get my hands on them. $1700 can almost buy you an Apex Peak + Volcano. 
L3000.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #5,347 of 46,525

Quote:
Yeah, I'd love to hear their BUDA paired with their UDAC--even their entry level stuff sounds great, to my ears. Can only imagine what their flagships sound like.

I have heard their flagship models many times and it is very good for around 2 grand. It's a bit too solid statish for my taste as I prefer tubes somewhere along the line.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #5,348 of 46,525
Cavalli Tube Hybrid in the house.  Sounds good.  First thing that jumped out at me was the feathery midrange, ambience and serious dynamics.  Then I changed tubes & everything changed.  So what jumps out at me is that this circuit is transparent.  It powers these cans very well and they're not left wanting for anything.  

I sold my NFB-3 DAC after just 3 weeks of ownership.  Stepping up to the Antelope Zodiac D/A converter.  Will update with impressions once I receive it next week.

Dec 23, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #5,349 of 46,525

Quote:
Cavalli Tube Hybrid in the house.  Sounds good.  First thing that jumped out at me was the feathery midrange, ambience and serious dynamics.  Then I changed tubes & everything changed.  So what jumps out at me is that this circuit is transparent.  It powers these cans very well and they're not left wanting for anything.  

I sold my NFB-3 DAC after just 3 weeks of ownership.  Stepping up to the Antelope Zodiac D/A converter.  Will update with impressions once I receive it next week.

Very nice. Like the open design on top.

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #5,350 of 46,525
The Specs for the Anthem I-225 are below the Anthem drives the hd-650 really well compared to the SR-71. As far as sources I have a Anthem Cd-1 and a music hall MMF-5 with Dynavector 10X5 and Project Tube Box SE. I mostly listen to vinyl. Would the headphones really see an improvement with a different amp given the specs listed below? I'm new to the headphone world and I'm a bit confused on how headphones and headphone amps correlate power requirements etc. etc.
Headphone Output
500 mW into 32 Ω at 0.03% THD+N​

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #5,351 of 46,525
Just passing 30 hours now of burn in with slightly above comfortable/tolerable listening levels playing a huge variety of music.

They already sound better, should I continue this for another couple days?

Should I be more specific on the music I'm playing? As mentioned its pretty much all of the floyd/weezer/linkinpark/sublime/metallica/coldplay/offspring/foofighters albums and then some. Should I focus more on hip hop or something? I don't have any of that on lossless but my sister does on her itunes which I could share, or I could do pandora.

Dec 23, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #5,352 of 46,525
I am burning mine in playing Dire Straits brothers in arms Sacd so far 20 hours and they are sound better than out of the box. I was not impressed at first I was trying to find a headphone to compliment my Usher X-718's and my Polk Lsi-15. I have high hopes after reading all the positive reviews.

Dec 23, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #5,353 of 46,525
Update...  ...
I just listened for about 5 hours.

The set up is as this: OPPO OPDV971H player ==> Onkyo HT R520 receiver (low end and old) ==> HD 650 ==> my ears. 

My listennings inluded violin, piano, symphony, pop, vocal and some traditional Chinese music (the instruments, such as  Zheng, Pipa, Guanzi, Dizi, are very different from western instruments).

Overall I am very happy with the 650, especially considering I have not used a better amp yet and it's not broken in yet. This is my first decent headphone. But I do have pretty good home theater setup. Movie expereience is no less than at local AMC theater. I may have bragged a bit 
L3000.gif
 My fronts are Klipsch F-3 with dual subs MFW-15 from av123. At least the bass is earth shaking and chest punching in my room. So I do know bass on this part.

The 650 has clear and clean sounds. Treble are really bright crystal clear but not harsh at all.   The bass is tight and clean. I only feel the bass is muffled or murky when I listen to the Chopin etude by Ashkenazy on the first first track on this CD http://www.amazon.com/Chopin-Etudes-Frederic/dp/B0000041PZ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1324628819&sr=8-8 . I am not so sure how original recording was and how it would be played out on other setups. So if you have this CD please play it and share your expereince. I did not play all tracks. I had grabbed about 30 CDs and listened some works and songs selectively. To my suprise, my computer can drive the HD 650 without any amp. It has a 3 year old mobo fron EVGA. I am going to use optical out from it to connect to icon HDP to the HD 650.

Quote:
Received 650 at workplace. Only have tablet with mp3 to play. It's worse than my $20 creative phone. I know I know, this weak mp3 play can't drive the
300 Ω phone. My HDP only arrives next week. Hope my cheap old receiver can serve me some driving power after I got home.

Per Sennheiser website there is replacement parts of the ear pad. It's some kind of cloth pad and there is only one pair preinstalled on the phone. There is no spare pair of ear pad, right?

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #5,354 of 46,525

Quote:
The Specs for the Anthem I-225 are below the Anthem drives the hd-650 really well compared to the SR-71. As far as sources I have a Anthem Cd-1 and a music hall MMF-5 with Dynavector 10X5 and Project Tube Box SE. I mostly listen to vinyl. Would the headphones really see an improvement with a different amp given the specs listed below? I'm new to the headphone world and I'm a bit confused on how headphones and headphone amps correlate power requirements etc. etc.
Headphone Output
500 mW into 32 Ω at 0.03% THD+N​

Hmm, those spec aren't too bad.  Do you still find the HD650 a little too dark out of the I-225?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back