Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #5,326 of 46,512
Quote:
Nice. How does it compare to the O2? Any better and it's an Apache slayer
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Actually now I sympathize with Howard; yesterday this girl couldn't tell the difference between my SM3s and her Beats earphones.

I haven't picked up the CTH yet, tomorrow's the day.  Will post some initial thoughts tomorrow.  Can't wait to start tube* rolling this sucker.

*(apologies ac500, for triggering your tourettes!) 

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #5,327 of 46,512
I wll receive my 650 tomorrow and NuForce HDP next week.

As the HDP does not have balanced cable connection, my next amp purchase (may be 1 year or more later) would have to have balanced connection. Any great amp with balanced connection that is great for HD 650 and also does not break bank? say under $1000. Since the 650 is great my next phone would be at the level of HD 800 (at least 1 year later unless I got some windfall $) so the next amp must be also suited for that kind of phone.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #5,328 of 46,512

??? I don't get it. Is "EQ" considered a swear word around here? :pYou didn't trigger that anyway.

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #5,329 of 46,512

Quote:
I wll receive my 650 tomorrow and NuForce HDP next week.

As the HDP does not have balanced cable connection, my next amp purchase (may be 1 year or more later) would have to have balanced connection. Any great amp with balanced connection that is great for HD 650 and also does not break bank? say under $1000. Since the 650 is great my next phone would be at the level of HD 800 (at least 1 year later unless I got some windfall $) so the next amp must be also suited for that kind of phone.

Maybe the HeadRoom Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp? I'll snoop around for awhile and see if I can find any under $1000. For now, ask some more experiences Head-Fi members that have some balanced amps in their possession.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #5,330 of 46,512

Quote:
If you liked the Grado sound maybe you should try an higher model to the same price range as the HD650. If you think the SR60 was lacking detail try the SR325is or the Alessandro MS2i for a little bit laid back.

I liked it but I'm not sure it's what I want. It was just really fun to listen to at that moment.

Dec 22, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #5,331 of 46,512

Quote:

??? I don't get it. Is "EQ" considered a swear word around here? :pYou didn't trigger that anyway.

I've seen people around here get their knickers in a knot about this. I don't really get it though. It's your equipment and ultimately your ears. I've used eq to make my 595s warmer but I haven't felt the need to eq anything with the 650s. In fact, I much prefer them uneq'd.

Cheers

Dec 22, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #5,333 of 46,512

Quote:
Hi everyone new to the forum and just joined the 650 family. They are being powered by a SR-71 and or my Anthem I-225. So far I feel my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9a sound better.  The 650 only have five hours on them however so I think they will sound better after break in. I have read many great things about these headphones hopefully they achieve the sound I'm looking for.

As good an amp as the SR-71 is, I suggest investing in a dedicated desktop headphone amp and source.  A quality desktop amp and source is recommended for optimal performance from the HD650.

Dec 22, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #5,334 of 46,512

Quote:
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Actually now I sympathize with Howard; yesterday this girl couldn't tell the difference between my SM3s and her Beats earphones.

I haven't picked up the CTH yet, tomorrow's the day.  Will post some initial thoughts tomorrow.  Can't wait to start tube* rolling this sucker.

Wonder if she could tell the difference between your 650s and her Beats 
biggrin.gif

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #5,335 of 46,512
Received 650 at workplace. Only have tablet with mp3 to play. It's worse than my $20 creative phone. I know I know, this weak mp3 play can't drive the
300 Ω phone. My HDP only arrives next week. Hope my cheap old receiver can serve me some driving power after I got home.

Per Sennheiser website there is replacement parts of the ear pad. It's some kind of cloth pad and there is only one pair preinstalled on the phone. There is no spare pair of ear pad, right?

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:39 PM Post #5,336 of 46,512
Hey all, just got a pair of hd650s to go with my matrix m stage amp! I really wanted to get the hdp nuforce and see a lot of people like it, but didn't have the $$. So i was wondering about the comparison in SQ between my setup (650s+matrix m stage) vs the 650s + the hdp...if anyone has any answers it would be greatly appreciated!

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #5,337 of 46,512

The BUDA is one expensive piece of the toys. From their website it seems it's a great product and would work perfect with HD 800. But on this forum it has only one review. It indicates not many people are really using it. It ranks #35 while the nuForce HDP ranks #3. I know the rankings are very skewed due to # of reviewers and their biases. But really, how much difference can we tell between the balanced and unbalanced? That lonely reviewer said what he heard was only the louderness.

Quote:
Maybe the HeadRoom Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp? I'll snoop around for awhile and see if I can find any under $1000. For now, ask some more experiences Head-Fi members that have some balanced amps in their possession.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:23 PM Post #5,339 of 46,512
Yeah, I'd love to hear their BUDA paired with their UDAC--even their entry level stuff sounds great, to my ears. Can only imagine what their flagships sound like.

Dec 22, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #5,340 of 46,512

Quote:
The BUDA is one expensive piece of the toys. From their website it seems it's a great product and would work perfect with HD 800. But on this forum it has only one review. It indicates not many people are really using it. It ranks #35 while the nuForce HDP ranks #3. I know the rankings are very skewed due to # of reviewers and their biases. But really, how much difference can we tell between the balanced and unbalanced? That lonely reviewer said what he heard was only the louderness.

With the right headphone, the difference can be significant, but getting there can be quite expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back