Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 4, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #5,101 of 46,554
Quote:

Ah, just what I was looking for.  Thanks a lot for the link.
smily_headphones1.gif

Woo's OTL amps have a bit of a different flavor as compared to the transformer-coupled amps. The former measure with lower distortion and are very smooth. The latter are more dynamic and often described as sounding more like solid state.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Dec 4, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #5,102 of 46,554

Quote:
On the subject of tube amps, I see Woo Audio offers both transformer coupled and output transformer less tube amps.  Is there any benefit to having or not having output transformers in tube amps?

Yes...it depends on the headphones you're using and their respective impedances.

Have a look here to start:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparison-beyerdynamic-dt-880-32-ohm-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

About one of the best explanations that I've seen yet.

Dec 4, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #5,104 of 46,554

Quote:
Finally got myself an HD650. 
bigsmile_face.gif

I've yet to listen to anything that sounds bad out of these. Incredibly smooth and non-fatiguing, and also very, very comfortable.

Congratulations!!!!!

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #5,105 of 46,554
Had a pair of Grado 325is. Got tired of the fatigue. Purchased a pair of the HD650's with the intent to either return them, or sell the Grado's. I've already found a buyer for the Grado's.
smile.gif

Currently running these out of the headphone out of my Asus Essence ST.

Dec 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #5,106 of 46,554
That sounded like a scenario for a good movie  
popcorn.gif
. Congratulation and enjoy the 650 (and the HDP for a matter of fact)

Quote:

4 years ago when I started Medical school in the great white north, I discovered a small audio shop just across the street from me. I walked in, unassuming and naive, and quietly began to browse. The shop attendant looked at me and noticed my white apple earphones around my neck and told me to try some headphones on. He put a pair of 595 senns around my ears and I was completely blown away. My jaw literally dropped and he just laughed at me. I was in sonic bliss and revelled in the detail, separation of instruments, and the splendour of the soundstage that left me feeling like I was 10 rows from the front of the stage. I proceeded to demo the 30 other hi end headphones they had there and was never the same.

Immediately after that visit, I could never wear my apple earphones again, and I started reading up on threads at head-fi that lead me from curiosity to obsession. Every now and then, I would go back into the shop, sit down and listen to music for an hour or two. I never bought anything, cause I couldn't afford it, but the shop owner didn't seem to mind. He just kept feeding me new stuff. Almost 2 years ago, he got a pair of hd 650's and I fell in love. I rarely would try on another headphone. This was the one for me. Almost 4 years since my first visit, I walked into the audio shop yesterday and bought my first true headphones, the 650 senns. The shop keeper said it was about time. I agree.

I haven't listend to them yet (pure torture!) because i'm waiting for my nuforce icon hdp to come i. But when I do, i'll be glad to officially join the head-fi community.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #5,107 of 46,554
Listening to Ra at the moment through these cans. Hmm, not as much sparkle as the HD600, but I'm loving the smoothness and the easier-on-the-ears experience.

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #5,108 of 46,554

Quote:
Had a pair of Grado 325is. Got tired of the fatigue. Purchased a pair of the HD650's with the intent to either return them, or sell the Grado's. I've already found a buyer for the Grado's.
smile.gif

Currently running these out of the headphone out of my Asus Essence ST.

How is that working for ya? I have the STX and I'm upgrading from the HD555 soon. I plan on getting a proper amp soonish but I've heard mixed things about the Essence ST/X driving these and the HD600. 

Dec 9, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #5,109 of 46,554
You know, I'm really excited to use the HD650 on the Bifrost. So, I have the Valhalla, which refines the overall frequency response and adds a touch more sparkle to the treble and lushness to the mids. If the Bifrost really is a micro detail sucking DAC with a big soundstage, then it may be a match mad win heaven with the Hd650's. Maybe, just maybe....

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #5,110 of 46,554

Quote:
You know, I'm really excited to use the HD650 on the Bifrost. So, I have the Valhalla, which refines the overall frequency response and adds a touch more sparkle to the treble and lushness to the mids. If the Bifrost really is a micro detail sucking DAC with a big soundstage, then it may be a match mad win heaven with the Hd650's. Maybe, just maybe....

that sounds like an awesome combo.  i have the csp2 and waiting for the bifrost with the t1 and hd650. i hope its a good match but im scared it might be alittle dry. i like the "smoky jazz bar" kind of feel over the uber clarity 

Dec 10, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #5,111 of 46,554
Hey fellas, just got my hd 650 yesterday and could use some advice on what amp and dac I could get for $450. I've done allot of reading on this site and have come to a point that I narrowed it down to a few amps and dac to get, but the problem is I have zero experience on how it should sound like with an amp and a dac so the whole process of elimination is very hard to apply.

So far my list of contenders are this:

PreSonus central station
Schiit Asgard + Audinst HUD mx1
Matrix M-Stage (usb version) + Audinst HUD mx1
Yulong D100
NuForce Icon HDP

If any of this combo works or doesn't work please feel free to let me know. I have not listed any tube amps as I have not yet read up on it, but would like to hear some tube amp recommendation that will fit with my budget.

I know that you guys must be fed up will the whole "What amp / dac to get" question that pops up like a bad acne, but I hope one more wouldn't hurt, but if it isn't then I'll just have to try my luck and hope I get a combo that works..

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #5,112 of 46,554

Quote:
Hey fellas, just got my hd 650 yesterday and could use some advice on what amp and dac I could get for $450. I've done allot of reading on this site and have come to a point that I narrowed it down to a few amps and dac to get, but the problem is I have zero experience on how it should sound like with an amp and a dac so the whole process of elimination is very hard to apply.

So far my list of contenders are this:

PreSonus central station
Schiit Asgard + Audinst HUD mx1
Matrix M-Stage (usb version) + Audinst HUD mx1
Yulong D100
NuForce Icon HDP

If any of this combo works or doesn't work please feel free to let me know. I have not listed any tube amps as I have not yet read up on it, but would like to hear some tube amp recommendation that will fit with my budget.

I know that you guys must be fed up will the whole "What amp / dac to get" question that pops up like a bad acne, but I hope one more wouldn't hurt, but if it isn't then I'll just have to try my luck and hope I get a combo that works..

get HRT II+ instead of audinst.
better dac, the reason why people get audinst is because it is also an entry level amp.

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #5,113 of 46,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by  Hughkk

get HRT II+ instead of audinst.
better dac, the reason why people get audinst is because it is also an entry level amp.

Looks like a very solid dac, but unfortunately I only have a budget of $450 for both amp and dac combined.

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:13 AM Post #5,114 of 46,554
HRT MSII + Schiit Asgard thoughts?

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #5,115 of 46,554

Quote:
HRT MSII + Schiit Asgard thoughts?

I'm also interested in knowing if the HRT MSII is a good match with the HD-650.
My guess is that the MSII with the Asgard would make the HD-650 even warmer, which would possibly not be such a good thing.

I still haven't figured the HRT out yet. Some say it's actually a bright DAC, but I haven't found that to be the case. If this was true you'd think it'd make my SR-325is unbearable to listen to, but luckily it hasn't.

BTW I just know that the with my warm amp and the HRT, my HD-598 is very warm sounding, but I kind of like it. I do have a Mogami cable which makes it even "worse" though.

I always liked the HD-650, but it's like a total opposite of my favorite sound signature, but some days it's tempting to give it a fourth try
normal_smile%20.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back