Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 27, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #5,026 of 46,499
Weird, I tried EQing the bass up (mostly the 50hz bass but I think I tried the other bass levels too) on my 650s in foobar and it completely overcame everything else and nothing but bass could be heard. The whole spectrum above like 70hz was GONE I mean GONE. Also, if I listened for a minute the distortion was so bad that I was afraid they would blow so I flatted everything back after a couple of seconds at most. Scary experience. I guess you got lucky in having 650s that EQ well with bass but mine sure don't. The EQ was almost maxed from what I remember but from what I remember there was like no difference without that or something like that, whatever the reason mine still don't EQ well with bass.

Quote:
If you ever consider getting XB500s or XB700s for bass fun, and you have HD650s, my recommendation is: DON'T. I tried XB700s a while back, and compared versus bass-boosted HD650s. The boosted HD650s were superior to the XB700s in every way, and could produce such powerful slamming / thumping / rumbling bass, it made the XB700s sound bass-weak in comparison. And of course, even with massive equalization, the HD650s were still a league beyond the XB700 in detail, clarity, and soundstage overall throughout the rest of the sound spectrum.

> Like if I'm watching Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers and a grenade or a bomb gets dropped, I love to be rocked just like it should be

This is exactly my experience with the HD650s. I was watching a HD action movie a while back, and I was continually impressed throughout the movie how realistic and perfect the explosions sounded. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #5,028 of 46,499
Strange, I didn't use foobar, maybe that was it. I took my default sound card's equalizer and turned everything almost completely except for 0-50hz, and then tapering down to 500hz. I can turn it up literally as loud as my ears can bear with no distortion. I find it hard to believe though that you'd be getting distortion and not me due to your headphones, could it be that foobar or whatever is screwing up the equalization? Or could it be your amp isn't powerful enough? I know that my NFB12 in particular is known for handling weighty bass particularly well. Also make sure your audio file is high quality obviously. I find that bass is one of the most noticeable things lacking in audio files less than FLAC or 128kbps mp3.

Anyway here is my equalizer configuration:

This particular equalization approximates a Sony XB700 somewhat, but has much crisper highs and mids obviously. Also obviously when you boost bass like this, the mids and treble are going to be recessed. They're still there, but certainly (intentionally) quieter than the bass.

Nov 27, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #5,029 of 46,499

Quote:
I'm not going to be buying these anytime soon unfortunately, just want to get some early looks on my future plans.

Also, I'm not too big on the recessed mids idea. I think the middle of music is the core in a lot of genres and I do not think having them recessed would be preferable. I'll still look into them though.

Another option for ya is Sennheiser's HD600.  It offers a flatter more neutral sound, with better balance throughout.  The sound is still natural with a bit warmth, and natural timbre along with excellent bass impact, weight and extension(a bit less bass than the HD650).  I find that it works better with more genres than the HD650 does.  That is not to diminish what the HD650 does, it is an excellent headphone.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #5,030 of 46,499
My setup is network streamed FLAC>foobar2000>USB Ps Audio DLIII DAC>Darkvoice 337 amp>Senn HD650s so my amp is powerful enough I know it. 1W i think (not sure if that's total or per channel though). I have had them pretty high for a few seconds where they distort badly but that was my test to see how far they would go, they don't seem damaged to me (i hope not!). My laptop has only a built in soundcard an I'm over USB anyway so only foobar for an EQ.

Quote:
Strange, I didn't use foobar, maybe that was it. I took my default sound card's equalizer and turned everything almost completely except for 0-50hz, and then tapering down to 500hz. I can turn it up literally as loud as my ears can bear with no distortion. I find it hard to believe though that you'd be getting distortion and not me due to your headphones, could it be that foobar or whatever is screwing up the equalization? Or could it be your amp isn't powerful enough? I know that my NFB12 in particular is known for handling weighty bass particularly well. Also make sure your audio file is high quality obviously. I find that bass is one of the most noticeable things lacking in audio files less than FLAC or 128kbps mp3.

Anyway here is my equalizer configuration:

This particular equalization approximates a Sony XB700 somewhat, but has much crisper highs and mids obviously. Also obviously when you boost bass like this, the mids and treble are going to be recessed. They're still there, but certainly (intentionally) quieter than the bass.

Nov 27, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #5,031 of 46,499

Quote:
Another option for ya is Sennheiser's HD600.  It offers a flatter more neutral sound, with better balance throughout.  The sound is still natural with a bit warmth, and natural timbre along with excellent bass impact, weight and extension(a bit less bass than the HD650).  I find that it works better with more genres than the HD650 does.  That is not to diminish what the HD650 does, it is an excellent headphone.

Oh ok, I'll look into it as well. How do you like the Q701 by the way?

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #5,032 of 46,499

Quote:
Oh ok, I'll look into it as well. How do you like the Q701 by the way?

I found the Q701 excellent(though, recently returned to Amazon).  I was quite impressed by the sound stage and its detail resolving ability.  The bass actually surprised me a bit with deeper extension and impact than I expected given all the reports of thin to non existent bass I had read.  It won't satisfy bassheads, but it is certainly not bass light.  Pair it with a warmer source or amp and you have a headphone that should work well with any genre. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #5,033 of 46,499

Quote:
I found the Q701 excellent(though, recently returned to Amazon).  I was quite impressed by the sound stage and its detail resolving ability.  The bass actually surprised me a bit with deeper extension and impact than I expected given all the reports of thin to non existent bass I had read.  It won't satisfy bassheads, but it is certainly not bass light.  Pair it with a warmer source or amp and you have a headphone that should work well with any genre. 

Why have you returned/sold so many of your cans?

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #5,034 of 46,499
Hi lovely people of the head-fi forum! I'm interested in getting the HD650 but I won't be able to afford getting an amp just to drive it. I already have the marantz PM4001 integrated desktop amp (used for driving my bookshelf speakers). Do you guys think it'll be good enough to drive the HD650 or am I better off looking at the Denon d2000?

Nov 28, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #5,036 of 46,499
I used a Denon AVR-1601 which is worth about $50 used these days, and it performed quite well.  Vintage and/or just generally good AV receivers can run HD650s well, some don't, like my other two Yamaha modern receivers.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #5,037 of 46,499
Another reason I am considering the HD650 is that my D1 was tuned with it so it should be a perfect match, or at least the best the amp/dac will sound.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #5,038 of 46,499

Quote:
Why have you returned/sold so many of your cans?

It's called Amazon's return policy.
tongue_smile.gif
  Seriously speaking, I didn't intend to buy and return that many headphones.  My audio spending budget has been pretty limited with only being able to buy the budget stuff.  So when I came across some extra cash, I was finally able to try out some of the big boys.  The mythical HD650 was my first choice and I found it didn't really shine the why I had hoped it would with my gear(Fiio E7/E9) so I returned it for the HD600 and that worked out better but still not quite to my satisfaction.  So I tried the HD598 then the Q701 and so on.

I think I'll eventually get them again, when I finally get that first real job so I can get the proper gear to power those higher-end headphones.  But, trying them out was quite educational though and I feel now I better understand this crazy hobby a bit more.

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #5,040 of 46,499
Welcome to the team! =)
Yea, whenever I write about cables I doubt myself...

Then I put them on.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back