Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 23, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #4,636 of 46,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooce /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm not saying they are bright headphones when compared to the rest of the headphones out there.
But it seems they added some 'sparkle' to the HD 650.
Which isn't always desired, in my opinion.

Why not just return them, or perhaps an exchange for a HD 600?  Not everyone is going to like the HD 650.

Quote:
The packaging is awful for a high-end headphone.

At is modest price, the HD 600/HD 650 are low mid-range.  If they arrive safe and sound the packaging did its job.  I don't listen to the box.

Oct 23, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #4,637 of 46,514
Oct 23, 2011 at 9:57 AM Post #4,638 of 46,514
Quote:
Looks like I'll be selling my HD650. I like the Denon D7k more than these. Had a really good time with them, sad to see them go...

Funny that you say that, because I've had the D7k for about 2 years now, and I just ordered a set of HD650 to have a change of pace.  But I may end up determining that they're not worth keeping in the long run.

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #4,640 of 46,514

Quote:
from tFiiO D3Hippo Box+ ampNokia 5800xm interconnect (free haha)hmmm i dont' have golden ears!! there is no significant difference in sound using the same burned-in HD650, to my ears...except for more noticeable sssss and 10% less punchy bass...or is it because, as they say, the HD650 is forgiving to amps and sources BUT improves as the amp and source improve?  8)now, should i go balanced or stay with this "all min setup"

if you enjoy your setup, enjoy it. dont ask ppl what you should do because everyones gonna have something different to say.  i went through upgrading this and that to everyones suggestions and impressions.  it gets old.  

the 650 do get better as gear gets better but really, what % better is it to YOUR ears? is it worth the $ for the % for YOUR ears? thats the question. :)

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #4,642 of 46,514

Quote:
Actually to be fair, we were discussing the smell from the 650 box a while ago on this thread, some of us were fond of it! I lost my box years ago but apparently the smell stays there for ever! haha

Oh man, fond of the smell?
I can only put that down to someone refusing to acknowledge any faults with their new purchase because they are happy with the actual product or whatever. Sennheiser, if they cared, should be far more controlling of the packaging and their suppliers.

The box lacks so much class.
It's true that you don't listen to the box as others have said here, but man...it's just not what you want to see (smell) when first opening your new purchase.

It really kills me that a little effort would have gone a long way here, and they didn't bother. Look at some unboxings online of many headphones far cheaper than this, and the packaging is drop-dead gorgeous and the attention to detail excellent. And when these products ship to you, you don't pay an exorbitant amount of postage due to the weight. Efficiency and class.

Anyway, enough about the box.
:)

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #4,643 of 46,514

Quote:

Why not just return them, or perhaps an exchange for a HD 600?  Not everyone is going to like the HD 650.

At is modest price, the HD 600/HD 650 are low mid-range.  If they arrive safe and sound the packaging did its job.  I don't listen to the box.

The place I bought it doesn't have the 600. Plus here in Australia, if I were to buy the headphone here, I would pay about double the price (!!).
So I have to buy it overseas and I have to use a USA mail forwarder because Sennheiser USA don't allow their authorised dealers to send overseas (they want to protect their distributors here, so they can rob us blind).

Even if I wanted to return it (which I don't), it would be a multi-month operation.
I'll wait and see if Sennheiser fill the lower-priced slot that the HD 600 filled.

As far as I understand things, some of the new models don't match the HD 600.

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:54 PM Post #4,644 of 46,514
I actually think the 650 had the best packaging of any headphones I've bought so far.  Box arrived in perfect condition, not a single dent, smudge or scratch.  No weird smell either, I've had the box open beside me for the past week and lay the 650 back in the box when I'm done listening.  Just my experience.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #4,645 of 46,514

Quote:
No bad smell in your box?
Hmmm.

I open the box.
Top of the box has that loose thin piece of foam they didn't even bother to glue (classy).
I smell it and it's awful, and it's worse when you smell the underside of it of the foam piece.

MAJOR STINK.

Foam rectangle block: MAJOR STINK.

Foam that the headphone sit on: MAJOR STINK.

I can only conclude that this is stinky foam and I am more sensitive to it than others.
The packaging is awful for a high-end headphone.
The cheap textured silver veneer box is laughable.

My foam didn't smell bad.  Why don't you contact Sennheiser about it.  Maybe you ended up with counterfeits.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #4,646 of 46,514
I like my box, although once I took the headphones out I could never get them back in enough to close the darn thing so I cut out some of the foam and added some more packagy stuff elsewhere, pimipming it. :)

Can't you just buy a $10 headphone case anyway? 

Mine didn't/doesn't smell. Maybe yours got to hot or something and it partially melted?

idk. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #4,647 of 46,514

Quote:
Plus here in Australia, if I were to buy the headphone here, I would pay about double the price (!!).

I have heard before that those in Oz get nailed at times with some astounding price mark-ups. 
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #4,648 of 46,514

:D

Wapiti, yep. And what's worse is the Australian dollar has been roughly on par with the USD for a long while now.
Satellite_6, yeah I can buy a case. But I shouldn't have to. Right now it lives in a bubblewrap bag on my desk. It's not easy to just throw your headphones in the supplied box along with the cable. Headphones need to be adjusted to small size, then cable neatly put inside there if you want complete protection with the lid down. Far too annoying without modifying the box, as you've found out :)
upsateguy, B&H doesn't sell counterfeit. Plus I can tell from the sound that it's not. Maybe they changed foam suppliers? My box looks legit too :p
brokenthumb, I had some dents on the corrugated outer cover that slips over the ugly and large and stinky box :) Not that I really care.

Oct 24, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #4,650 of 46,514
I used to go out with someone who had a smelly box....  she didn't last long.

(sorry)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back