Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #4,621 of 46,514

Quote:
That's curious.  What does it smell like?  Are you smelling mildew?  Did you buy them new?  If so, from a registered dealer?

(Also, I think you might be the first person who thought the 650s were too bright.)

It just smells awful; I can't compare it to anything. Did you smell your foam?
It's awful.

I'm not the first person who bought the 650s who thought they were a tad bright. And let's put this in perspective here, they are comparing them to other Sennheisers like the 600, not any 'bright' headphones. So it's subtle.

In fact, many have said they prefer the HD 600 sound over the 650.
Having never listened to the 600, I would have to guess that it's more balanced in this area, since I've heard others state it already.

I really don't care about others opinions who say these are bass-heavy phones. I don't hear that. Bass is pretty well-controlled.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #4,625 of 46,514

Quote:
LOL, from the smell in the box my guess is that he has a pair of water/chemical damaged headphones.

Well, having never smelled another box, I can't discount your guesstimate.
But I didn't see any signs of water damage or chemical damage.
In fact, the box is just like the unboxings I've seen on YouTube.

I just think it's stinky foam. Put your nose to it.
If yours isn't stinky, perhaps they are doing something different now.

This was bought from an authorised dealer.

Oct 22, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #4,626 of 46,514

Quote:
been away a while... is this still the 650 appreciation thread?

nice

Yes, it is. Have you listened to the HD 565 Ovation?
That's what I'm comparing it too. That is my reference.

I'm not saying these are "bright" headphones, but yes, a tad brighter than what I am used to.
I'm saying that what I would class as perfection isn't quite there.
Look at it in that context.

When headphones released years ago (for less money) sound better than the ones years later (for more money), well then I regard that as going backwards. The differences are subtle but there nonetheless.

These headphones are a little different in the mid/treble area.
To my ears.

I'm not saying they are bright headphones when compared to the rest of the headphones out there.
But it seems they added some 'sparkle' to the HD 650.
Which isn't always desired, in my opinion.

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #4,628 of 46,514

Quote:
LOL, from the smell in the box my guess is that he has a pair of water/chemical damaged headphones.

No bad smell in your box?
Hmmm.

I open the box.
Top of the box has that loose thin piece of foam they didn't even bother to glue (classy).
I smell it and it's awful, and it's worse when you smell the underside of it of the foam piece.

MAJOR STINK.

Foam rectangle block: MAJOR STINK.

Foam that the headphone sit on: MAJOR STINK.

I can only conclude that this is stinky foam and I am more sensitive to it than others.
The packaging is awful for a high-end headphone.
The cheap textured silver veneer box is laughable.

Oct 23, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #4,630 of 46,514
Yeah I think it's my amp or DAC. I'll find out sooner or later...when $$ allows...I'll probably get a Yulong D100 and use that as a DAC to see and try the HP out. Any objections here? $500 max on this thing I am gonna do. I was thinking Audio-gd NFB-10SE at first.

Quote:
We have different ears. I love the old Sennheiser HD565 Ovation. So to me that is "perfect" sound with "perfect" neutrality for all genres. This headphone is slightly different (a tad brighter) but still comes close.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #4,631 of 46,514

Quote:
Hmmm.

[SNIP]

I just received a new set of HD650's a couple of days ago and agree the foam has a strange smell. It definitely is not water or chemical damage, but rather just the smell of the foam.

Oct 23, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #4,632 of 46,514

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv50 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just received a new set of HD650's a couple of days ago and agree the foam has a strange smell. It definitely is not water or chemical damage, but rather just the smell of the foam.

Thanks a lot for backing me up on this, scottv50!

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #4,633 of 46,514
Looks like I'll be selling my HD650. I like the Denon D7k more than these. Had a really good time with them, sad to see them go...

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #4,634 of 46,514

Quote:
Hmmm.

I open the box.
Top of the box has that loose thin piece of foam they didn't even bother to glue (classy).
I smell it and it's awful, and it's worse when you smell the underside of it of the foam piece.

MAJOR STINK.

Foam rectangle block: MAJOR STINK.

Foam that the headphone sit on: MAJOR STINK.

I can only conclude that this is stinky foam and I am more sensitive to it than others.
The packaging is awful for a high-end headphone.
The cheap textured silver veneer box is laughable.

Actually to be fair, we were discussing the smell from the 650 box a while ago on this thread, some of us were fond of it! I lost my box years ago but apparently the smell stays there for ever! haha

Can't believe I'm actually discussing the smell of a headphone box... again.. oh well 

Also, give your 650's a good burn in period and they might settle down in the trebles for you. You never know, Sennheiser may have tweeked the drivers to brighten them up? After all there are a lot of peeps who think they are too warm sounding, they may have taken this on board.

Oct 23, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #4,635 of 46,514
from these:

to these home mini-setup:

FiiO D3
Hippo Box+ amp
Nokia 5800xm interconnect (free haha)

hmmm i dont' have golden ears!! there is no significant difference in sound using the same burned-in HD650, to my ears...
except for more noticeable sssss and 10% less punchy bass...

or is it because, as they say, the HD650 is forgiving to amps and sources BUT improves as the amp and source improve?  8)
now, should i go balanced or stay with this "all min setup"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back