Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #4,576 of 46,502

Quote:
A Lamborghini wouldn't run on low octane fuel, no amount of detuning by retarding timing could stop the engine from knocking and being damaged.

No, a modern Lambo has absolutely no problem running on regular fuel.  Top power will diminish 5-10%.  This is also the case for a Ferrari 458, BMW M5, Porsche 911, Corvette Z06, Ducati 1198R, etc.

Back to your regular programming.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #4,577 of 46,502

Quote:
No, a modern Lambo has absolutely no problem running on regular fuel.  Top power will diminish 5-10%.  This is also the case for a Ferrari 458, BMW M5, Porsche 911, Corvette Z06, Ducati 1198R, etc.

Back to your regular programming.

Just thought I would confirm this.  All modern OBD cars can compensate for low octane fuel.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #4,578 of 46,502
Hmm... lately I've taken an interest to some bass heavy songs and bass boosted sound (for just a few songs). So, I tried a Sony XB700 to compared to my HD 650 EQ'ed with a big bass boost. I was expecting the XB700 to destroy the HD650 in terms of powerful bass impact, but to my surprise it actually sounded thin, muddy, and weak in comparison (it wasn't bad though). I'm surprised. Not only that, but the HD650 bass is far far more articulate, detailed, and even more impactful sounding - and of course the rest of the sound range is vastly more detailed and clear sounding. 

Is there something I'm missing here? To be fair I was running the XB700 unamped so that was probably it, but the stupid thing didn't have a 1/4" converter (and according to the manual it is "designed to run from mini headphone jacks"), so there wasn't anything I could do.

I suppose I underestimated the versatility of the HD650. I just hope massively EQing the bass up won't hurt it, but nothing sounds even slightly distorted and I'm listening at non-deafening levels so I assume that's okay.

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #4,579 of 46,502
Hello.  I am new to the forum and thought this would be a good place to start.  I have a long history with hifi starting in cars and pro audio/live music in my teens and twenties, and home theater in my thirties and forties.  I have been using IEM's for several years with various sources and a total airhead, but just made the jump into over ear with HD 650's and the E7/E9.  After over 100 hours break in, the headphones sound like they are starting to settle in.  I am a little confused by some users' comments regarding the 650's having rolled-off highs and a sound that is too laid back; for me, anything more would border on strident.  And if anyone is still wondering about the E7 alone vs the E7/E9 together, the E9 made a huge difference for me in the low end definition and overall sound stage and presentation.  I am looking forward to trying the E7 alone with the IEM's, but that will have to wait for the long plane rides next week.   

Oct 17, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #4,580 of 46,502
Well my SRH940's are somewhat treble forward of neutral (very detailed treble), and compared to them my HD650's will sound like much of the upper treble is missing. If you fire a gun in a video game the SRH940 gives that supersonic "crack" sound perfectly, whereas the HD650 muffles it. EQ'ing restores it perfectly though, so it's not lacking in quality, just quantity IMO.

Now this may have something to do with "synergy" with my DAC/Amp, but I understand mine is pretty neutral so I don't know what else to say. Either that or you or I have an odd HD650.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #4,581 of 46,502
Oh OK if you thought the T1s sounded better with the same equipment then good for you but I still think I'll stand by crap in crap out until I run across a situation like yours where that proves wrong.

Quote:
I don't know about a Fiio over usb, but I'll tell you about the 5 days I spent without power after hurricane Irene.  I used my Fuze and a Portaphile connected by a coiled 1m microphone cable that made a great FM radio antenna.  I used my 650s, 880s and mostly my T1s which I think qualifies as a 1K headphone.

I also had occasion to use the Fuze alone after the 9v ran dry on the Portaphile, and never found an occasion to raise the volume up higher than 3/4 with the 600ohm T1s.

In every instance the T-1s had an order of magnitude more resolution and sound stage, and a more articulated bass than the other headphones.... just like it did with my GS-1 amp. 

The 650s also sounded great, as did the 880s, but even straight out of the Fuze the T-1 was obviously the better headphone.  When the Fuze was amped, the margin widened even further.

Does my computer rig with its North Star dac and GS-1 amp sound better than the Fuze or the Fuze with a portable amp?  Of course it does and it can play much louder than I want to listen.  But, during the blackout, the Fuze alone did quite well all by itself and had no trouble driving any of the headphones I mentioned.

Just to make sure my recollection was accurate, I fired up the Fuze and am listening with the T1s as I type this.  Did a quick comparo with the 880s (only because they happen to be right near by) and I was back to the T1s in a second.  There is that much difference... even from a Fuze.

So headphones first guys.

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #4,583 of 46,502

Quote:
I don't know about a Fiio over usb, but I'll tell you about the 5 days I spent without power after hurricane Irene.  I used my Fuze and a Portaphile connected by a coiled 1m microphone cable that made a great FM radio antenna.  I used my 650s, 880s and mostly my T1s which I think qualifies as a 1K headphone.

I also had occasion to use the Fuze alone after the 9v ran dry on the Portaphile, and never found an occasion to raise the volume up higher than 3/4 with the 600ohm T1s.

In every instance the T-1s had an order of magnitude more resolution and sound stage, and a more articulated bass than the other headphones.... just like it did with my GS-1 amp. 

The 650s also sounded great, as did the 880s, but even straight out of the Fuze the T-1 was obviously the better headphone.  When the Fuze was amped, the margin widened even further.

Does my computer rig with its North Star dac and GS-1 amp sound better than the Fuze or the Fuze with a portable amp?  Of course it does and it can play much louder than I want to listen.  But, during the blackout, the Fuze alone did quite well all by itself and had no trouble driving any of the headphones I mentioned.

Just to make sure my recollection was accurate, I fired up the Fuze and am listening with the T1s as I type this.  Did a quick comparo with the 880s (only because they happen to be right near by) and I was back to the T1s in a second.  There is that much difference... even from a Fuze.

So headphones first guys.

I can say exactly the same thing WRT my experience with the K701, HD650 and LCD2.  I also learned that even though I still think I know I hear differences in amps, dac, cables and clocks I think EQ and DSP can do just as much.  For free if you try.

Oct 18, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #4,584 of 46,502
so my 650's should be here tomorrow, and for now i just have an e7/e9 combo. as of yet, i've just had a pair of ad700's and the mhp 839's. i know the 650 will blow away both of these in basically all categories, but will it beat them in literally ALL categories? also, how do the 650's pair with the e7/e9? i do plan to eventually upgrade my dac/amp but for now i know it powers them adequately.

thanks in advance :D

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #4,585 of 46,502
I think the E7/E9 combo will work fine to start out.

Quote:
so my 650's should be here tomorrow, and for now i just have an e7/e9 combo. as of yet, i've just had a pair of ad700's and the mhp 839's. i know the 650 will blow away both of these in basically all categories, but will it beat them in literally ALL categories? also, how do the 650's pair with the e7/e9? i do plan to eventually upgrade my dac/amp but for now i know it powers them adequately.

thanks in advance :D

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #4,586 of 46,502
+1 Agreed.. the E7/E9 is a good place to start.  If you're happy with them, then stay with it.  Also know that the HD650's are more capable with better dec/amp combos. 
I started off with the E7/E9 and moved to a Matrix Mini-i.  Much better DAC and the amp is comparable in driving the 650's.  Next move is the Lyr.
Anyway, I'm sure you'll enjoy the combo!

Quote:
I think the E7/E9 combo will work fine to start out. 

Oct 18, 2011 at 2:49 PM Post #4,587 of 46,502

Quote:
Oh OK if you thought the T1s sounded better with the same equipment then good for you but I still think I'll stand by crap in crap out until I run across a situation like yours where that proves wrong. 

The only reason you don't know this yet is because you haven't actually made the comparison yet.  Once you do, you'll see. 

Transducers always make the biggest difference to the way your rig will sound.

Quote:

I can say exactly the same thing WRT my experience with the K701, HD650 and LCD2.  I also learned that even though I still think I know I hear differences in amps, dac, cables and clocks I think EQ and DSP can do just as much.  For free if you try.

+1 for the headphones and +1 for EQ and DSP.

But, darned if I don't hear those imaginary differences too.......

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #4,588 of 46,502
I received my 650 about two hours ago!  Listened to Steely Dan Aja album... 
atsmile.gif
  Initial thoughts are very positive!  I expected them to sound not that great right out of the box and with no burn-in, but from the first note I was in musical bliss!  The 650 takes all the good points of my other headphones and improves upon them while getting rid of the bad points.  Still in the Honeymoon stage obviously.

Also, I hear no veil whatsoever with my 650.  That was my main concern before hearing these.  I had been listening to the SR80i's when the 650's arrived and going straight from them to the 650 didn't sound veiled at all.  I actually think the D2000 sounds darker to me than the 650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back