Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 23, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #4,456 of 46,554
Just ordered a set from uniquesquared.com (authorized dealer) for 300.10 shipped.
I used a inc500YAY! 10% off coupon a long with a 5$ off anything for registering on their site off their 339.00 price,
which is already lower than amazon's ~350 price.
This is probably one of the best New from authorized dealer deals going on right now.

I'm really eager to hear these babies. I needed a set of good open phones badly lol. 

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #4,457 of 46,554

Yeah, with some many new manufacturers and boutique amp makers around, people almost overlook how good Headroom amplifiers are. A great inviting sound that drive phones with authority. I'd love to get a micro one day, I'm still grooving with a 12-year old Total Airhead.
Quote:
Really liked the HD-650 with the Micro Amp you have (even more than the Asgard!). The Micro Amp also loves the K501, K601 and K702. One of these days I may buy one of their DACs. The one I have needs upgrading very badly.

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #4,458 of 46,554

Quote:

x2.

The fatigue thing is important and goes to overall experience. My Grado's were extremely detailed, but after a couple hours, I was done. The 650's are smooth, mellow, and easy to listen to, even for long periods. Unlike other phones, taking them off does not make you say - "Ah, it feels good to get those off my head!

Absolutely! I bought the DT 770 Pro as my first good cans because of how everyone here raved about how comfortable they are (plus they're closed & relatively inexpensive), although in truth the 650 are even more comfortable to wear.

Quote:
Really liked the HD-650 with the Micro Amp you have (even more than the Asgard!). The Micro Amp also loves the K501, K601 and K702. One of these days I may buy one of their DACs. The one I have needs upgrading very badly.

That's great to hear, I've been considering the K/Q701/702 as the next pair I buy. There's very little mention of the Micro Amp/Dac on here, but I'm glad I went with them. I can tell a big difference in sound on all 3 of my cans compared to the soundcard output, Logitech speaker jack, and PA2v2 pocket amp that I have. The sound really "comes alive", especially on the 650.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #4,459 of 46,554
I've had a pair of HD650s for some months now, and I'm really seeing why these are so highly praised. I used have the AKG K701s (with a Heed Canamp), and those phones were just thin sounding and almost annoingly bright. Also they weren't at all comfortable - not least because of the headband. The AKGs are probably the furthest from a "balanced" sound you could get. The bass simply isn't there.

I'm driving the Senns with an Apogee Duet with great results, even though many - if not most - audiophiles on this forum seem to think these cans need something truly special and expensive to be driven properly. And this "Senn-veil"? I don't get it. The treble-region is plenty and bright and most of all natural and balanced. Beautiful, I would say. There is a very slight boost in the bass-department, but it's barely noticeable. And the mids, man are they well done. Upfront and clear. Guitars of any sort sound awesome.

These cans are BTW awesome for rock and metal - they have the bass-slam and mid-kick that's required in these genres. My D2000s sound very boxed in compared to these. Only thing that I could see making these cans better is the awesomely tight bass of the HD-25s, but then these would not be the same. I love 'em :)

Sep 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #4,460 of 46,554
^Your thoughts are very similar to my own.

One more thing to add, every once and a while someone claims that these headphone's sound signature is only good for genres like jazz and classical. Nothing could be further from the truth! 

Guitars do indeed sound amazing on them - listen to Jimi Hendrix and you'll hear some mind-blowing complexity that I think not even the HD 580/600's can quite reveal. 

:) 

Sep 24, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #4,461 of 46,554
Whilst i havn't much to compare them to, im loving my HD650's. Just got them several days ago, so there still burning in. But loving listening to them as they evolve. Just wondering if it would be worth buying a new cable for them? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether its worth buying a new cable?

Sep 24, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #4,462 of 46,554
I think it's been a while since I posted in this thread. My HD650 has continued to accurately represent every upgrade I have made to my systems over the last 5+ months that I've had them. I still have absolutely no good reason to upgrade to anything else. The Schiit Lyr has been the biggest contributor in improving the SQ.

Sep 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #4,463 of 46,554
I don't seem to find them very enjoyable for jazz and blues and soul (Tower of Power: Great American Soulbook album is the only soul I have heard with them). I can't explain why, but they just son't seem fit for those genres. Maybe I'll change my mind...

Quote:
^Your thoughts are very similar to my own.

One more thing to add, every once and a while someone claims that these headphone's sound signature is only good for genres like jazz and classical. Nothing could be further from the truth! 

Guitars do indeed sound amazing on them - listen to Jimi Hendrix and you'll hear some mind-blowing complexity that I think not even the HD 580/600's can quite reveal. 

:) 

Sep 24, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #4,464 of 46,554

Quote:
Whilst i havn't much to compare them to, im loving my HD650's. Just got them several days ago, so there still burning in. But loving listening to them as they evolve. Just wondering if it would be worth buying a new cable for them? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether its worth buying a new cable?

Just went balanced with my HD650 running a Zombie X Lightning cable there is a clear extension in the frequency range particularly the treble, the cable is silver plate so that was expected. I am also finding a big improvement in clarity and detail with the stock cable sounding blurred in comparison.

I would say around 50% of the improvement in sq is the cable and 50% the balanced setup, well worth the investment, however the stock cable is very good particularly in a single ended setup and I don't think a cable upgrade is good value without the switch to a balanced setup.

So if I were you I would stick with the stock cable at least until everything is well burned in.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #4,465 of 46,554

Quote:

Just went balanced with my HD650 running a Zombie X Lightning cable there is a clear extension in the frequency range particularly the treble, the cable is silver plate so that was expected. I am also finding a big improvement in clarity and detail with the stock cable sounding blurred in comparison.

I would say around 50% of the improvement in sq is the cable and 50% the balanced setup, well worth the investment, however the stock cable is very good particularly in a single ended setup and I don't think a cable upgrade is good value without the switch to a balanced setup.

So if I were you I would stick with the stock cable at least until everything is well burned in.

Thanks
smile.gif
its early days yet, so i'll see how it goes for a while. Hopefully the treble will begin to reveal itself and brighten up a little after a few weeks

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #4,466 of 46,554
What are you comparing the stock cable with to make this statement? Custom cables can improve perceived SQ even when used in single-ended mode. I would like to give a balanced setup a try someday to hear for myself what all the fuss is about.

Quote:

Sep 25, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #4,467 of 46,554
I've thought about trying a balanced setup, and I'd love to someday, I just don't know how worth it it will be. Can anyone describe the difference in sound quality? I love the sound I'm getting now with just the stock setup.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #4,468 of 46,554
The comparison is the HD650 Lightning to my SE tube amp via an adapter vs the stock cable to the same amp and the lightning balanced out of the Violectric vs the stock cable from the Violectric SE output.
I agree there is improvement in SE mode but compared to balanced the difference is quite small and so the value vs performance ratio is less.

I am a big fan of custom cables but I thought Walshy200 should get to know the stock signature before venturing into the world of custom upgrades, if only to be better equipped to asses the improvement.

Balanced is a new world, everything is bigger better more, when I switch to SE the sound stage narrows frequency extension drops off bass muddies. Everything is relative however and I am still more than happy to listen to my stock DT770 600s through the SE tube amp or even my Shure 215s and Ipod E11 combo, music is good any way you get it.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #4,469 of 46,554
That's interesting, I don't know anyone with balanced equipment, which is probably a big factor because I've never been able to listen. Some day in the future I may decide to upgrade. Right now I'm perfectly happy with my set up, so I don't think it's worth it yet (especially as a poor college student ha ha).

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #4,470 of 46,554
For the HD650, I think balanced has a greater effect than the cable itself, therefore it is more worthwhile to switch to balanced configuration than just upgrading the cable imo.

Based on earlier comments, I tried to terminate the stock cable to balanced just to experiment. But I had the hardest time. It was like the wires were solder repellent. The interesting part was the part of the wires were died in red and green color i guess to indicate channel. Has anyone successfully balanced the stock cable? Could've been my iron or me just having a bad day I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back