Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #4,427 of 46,554
I needed the money so I downgraded to a cheaper setup. I am actually really enjoying the TMA-1's straight out of my iPhone though. I loved the HD650's, but don't miss them. The HD650's with the HeadRoom Amp/DAC didn't sound all that much better, certainly not several hundred dollars better. The iPhone 4 is a fine source and the TMA-1's are a fine sounding little headphone. I might get back into the high end market again, but not for a while. 

Quote:
Quote:

Why do you sell it? any particular qualities you don't like?

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #4,429 of 46,554
Grados and the HD-650s are radically different. Rock sizzles, even on my SR- 80s, in a way that it doesn't on the HDs. However, the HD-650s will have you re-discovering your music (assuming you don't listen to ICP or crud like that) in a way the low end Grados just don't.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #4,430 of 46,554
who? Me? 

I have no regrets. I didn't really lose much money reselling either the headphones or the amp. Bought the headphones for 330, sold them 8 months later for 285, bought the amp for 800, sold it 8 months later for 600, so no big loss.

I have a cheaper more reasonable setup right now.

Quote:
Should have bought something cheaper/more reasonable. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #4,432 of 46,554
Well, I really like the TMA-1's. They actually remind me a lot of the HD650's. 

Quote:
@ Jason

It's too soon for you to say you don't miss them.  =]

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #4,433 of 46,554

Quote:
@ Disastermouse  

Wow.  Haven't seen you here in ages.  Lol.  

@ Jason

It's too soon for you to say you don't miss them.  =]

Lol. Same reaction from me. Welcome back DM.

Also, I listen exclusively to my LCD-2 now and have contemplated moving the HD650 on. If I do so, I know I'll only buy them again down the track like others here, so they stay.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4,434 of 46,554
Quote:
I needed the money so I downgraded to a cheaper setup. I am actually really enjoying the TMA-1's straight out of my iPhone though. I loved the HD650's, but don't miss them. The HD650's with the HeadRoom Amp/DAC didn't sound all that much better, certainly not several hundred dollars better. The iPhone 4 is a fine source and the TMA-1's are a fine sounding little headphone. I might get back into the high end market again, but not for a while. 

Oh, I see, thanks.

Sep 20, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #4,435 of 46,554

Quote:
...... the HD-650s will have you re-discovering your music.....

Quite so.  After a couple of months with the HD 650s in hand, their most salient feature to my ears is in the detail of their audio presentation.  Albums that I've listened to countless times before through my floor speakers reveal new subtleties through the 650s.  For example, Dianna Krall's brief inhale as she moves close to the mike and prepares for the next verse, the strings of John Clayton's double bass slapping the fingerboard or Tony Wilson's left-hand sliding up the guitar neck.  No doubt part of this is purely the "headphone experience" bringing the sound much closer to your ears than speakers standing across the room, but the HD 650s do this in spades, imo.  Returning to the floor speakers, I can hear the same detail noted above, but it is more recessed and is  therefore often ignored in the listener's perception.  IMO, this is why many previous posts on this thread comment on rediscovering their music through the HD 650s.

I would also say, however, that the "650 effect" is much less on older remastered recordings.  Classic jazz recordings of the 1950s remastered to digital are generally very good, yet seem to lack not only the detail that you hear on a modern well engineered recording, but also present a narrower sound stage to the music.

I still like to lift the volume on stereo, but the HD 650s are providing a most enjoyable alternate experience for a semi-audiohile.

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #4,436 of 46,554
When it comes to "hearing things you've never heard before", I find this much more noticeable with more forward/bright/detailed headphones. Still, despite it's laid back sound signature, the HD 650 still has an amazing amount of detail - you just have to listen for it sometimes (and that's not a bad thing). 

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #4,437 of 46,554
What is the chain that you drive them with? 

Quote:
When it comes to "hearing things you've never heard before", I find this much more noticeable with more forward/bright/detailed headphones. Still, despite it's laid back sound signature, the HD 650 still has an amazing amount of detail - you just have to listen for it sometimes (and that's not a bad thing). 

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #4,438 of 46,554
Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it's starting to feel that the right side is louder than the left on these hp's. It's subtle enough to bother me. I don't notice this on my earphones...

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #4,439 of 46,554
milosolo: I'm running off a Audio-gd NFB-12 which is a bit dark itself, so perhaps that conceals a bit of detail.

Sep 21, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #4,440 of 46,554

Quote:

Of the 3 cans I have the HD 650 is my favorite all-around to listen to. However I've noticed exactly what you've described, the Grado's emphasize much more of the "hearing things you've never heard before" effect, but they're also much more fatiguing to my ears. I can listen to the HD 650's for an extended period of time & not experience fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back