Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #4,411 of 46,565
On Track 01? Yeah like I said it was minor but I thought I'd post it just in case it was an issue I should be worried about.

FYI for everyone, please post the track(s) you listened to!

Quote:
I listend to the trumped solo on my HD 650's and it sounded fine to me (quite ear piercing though).

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #4,412 of 46,565
Ah I forgot track 2. And good news I think. At 0:50 - 0:52 (of track 2) when he sings a loud high note like you said, I hear a definite distortion in the recording. It's apparent on my HD 650 and my SRH-940.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #4,413 of 46,565
Good, then you are hearing exactly what I was around the same time I did. It happens when he sings similarly throughout the track too, I noticed. FYI I said around 0:45 so people would hear all of it by starting there. I guess it is the track then!

Thanks for listening for me!!

Quote:
Ah I forgot track 2. And good news I think. At 0:50 - 0:52 (of track 2) when he sings a loud high note like you said, I hear a definite distortion in the recording. It's apparent on my HD 650 and my SRH-940.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #4,414 of 46,565

Maybe--but then again, everything sounds distorted on crappy, cranked-up speakers. They are only clear insofar as there is not even more noticeable distortion. Sounds like you guys have it pretty well sorted out though. :)

Quote:
Hmm, yeah not saying much but it seems that if there even is distortion, it would be even worse on crappy cranked up speakers, dontcha think? Thanks for the favor!!!

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #4,415 of 46,565
I'm really digging my HD650's (this is the appreciation thread after all). I am powering them with a Meier Audio Corda HeadAmp MK-II off a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 as a DAC. I also have a TTVJ Slim with DAC to power them. Both work great with the 650's.

I must say listening to some other headphones has become a bit of a drag now a days, the quality or lack thereof is quite emphasized. I still like my UM2's, now even more with a proper amp for them, they really pump on the 120Ohm output of the Corda.

On an HD650 related note, I've decided to make my own replaceable cable for 2 reasons, 1 the stock on gets tangled up on my as it's long and unwieldy, 2 I'm not a huge fan of laqcuered wires, I prefer properly insulated wires. I ordered some of my standby Canare Star Quad L4E6S, Cardas HPSC, nylon multifilament sleeving, some heat shrink, and my standby Neutrik Gold/Black 1/4" TRS.

I should have them made by the end of next week, I'll post pictures for sure.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #4,416 of 46,565
I really like my HD 650 cable actually. It's really soft, so stays out of my way much more than any other headphone cable I've had. It works fine, and seems tough. What more could you ask for (other than length complaints of course)? :)

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #4,417 of 46,565

Quote:
I really like my HD 650 cable actually. It's really soft, so stays out of my way much more than any other headphone cable I've had. It works fine, and seems tough. What more could you ask for (other than length complaints of course)? :)

My gripe with it is I haven't had good luck with laquere insulated cords, they tend to fray on me which makes them absolutely useless once that happens. The cables are quite nice, very supple and lay down well, but they're a little bit messy.

Sep 17, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #4,418 of 46,565
I'm not sure what you mean by lacquer insulated, I thought lacquer was hard almost like glass.

Anyway maybe you should give it a chance if you're afraid of the cable falling apart. I heard the HD650 is kevlar-reinforced, so I'm pretty sure it will hold up well. I've not heard of any fraying issues. You know these aren't $5 headphones, right? :p

Well DIY projects are fun I guess in any case, if you're bored :)

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #4,419 of 46,565
It's not lacquer. The wires are coated with enamel internally and I believe they have some fibers inside to toughen up the cable. The exterior insulation is probably made of some kind of vinyl.

I had a pair for about four years and the stock cable held up well. And if it doesn't, you can get a new one for about $12.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #4,421 of 46,565
Guys, apologies if this has been answered but I haven't read the whole thread.

How would you describe the sound sig of the HD650? Can anyone compare them to the HD25 II or Grado's please. I'm interested in buying a pair but i'm not sure if they will suit my tastes.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #4,422 of 46,565
I'm not sure I can compare directly, but I have SRH 940 (and soon AD2000's which I hear is somewhat grado-like).

The best I can say is this: HD 650 sound signature is addictive, in a way. The more I listen, the more I like it as my general purpose headphones. It may be different for everyone though.

The high end is absolutely there, and it's high quality. However it's definitely "recessed" a bit - it's quieter. They also sound less detailed if you're coming from energetic / detailed headphones, but after you listen, they have a wonderful refined precision and detail. This has two advantages: it's comfortable and doesn't sonically fatigue at all, and it makes pretty much everything sound good - even bad recordings.

Sep 18, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #4,423 of 46,565
Quote:
Guys, apologies if this has been answered but I haven't read the whole thread.

How would you describe the sound sig of the HD650? Can anyone compare them to the HD25 II or Grado's please. I'm interested in buying a pair but i'm not sure if they will suit my tastes.

Olor1n has HD650s and had Alessandro's.  Check with him.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #4,425 of 46,565

Quote:
lol, I think someone from the marketing, 'cause pads are changed for hygiene reasons also.

They really need to change that, I'm not sure I'm willing to spend that much on pads. 

I disagree about the high end. It's quality is the HD 650's weakness, it is peaky, it is loud. Recessed my a**. Dark my a**. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back