Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 11, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #4,141 of 46,514

Quote:
great price on a mint set.  keep in mind there are two versions of the hd650. if you go back in this thread you can see the differences.  what suggestions are looking for? ar eyou looking for an amp?

Mostly just wondering if the Bryston BP26DA is up to the task, and if I even need an amp. Thanks for the version info . Can you tell by this picture which version it is?.

$(KGrHqJ,!hIE458p9CevBOQ1ngc49w~~0_3.JPG

Can you tell by this picture which version it is? It's from the auction listing

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:18 PM Post #4,142 of 46,514

Can you tell by this picture which version it is? It's from the auction listing

I'd say new version, you can see the silver color of the back of the driver plate between the plastic panels

Aug 11, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #4,143 of 46,514
Ok, well while I was downtown Manhattan today working I stopped by JR World and went to test drive the HD650 and the HD598. I could tell a big difference in the build quality between the two immediately. The 650 felt more solid than the 598. I decided to try on the 598 first and it felt good with the velour ear pads I can compare it to a Corvette. I then took them off and tried on the 650 and OMG wow, there was a huge difference, it felt more like sitting in a Rolls Royce because it was so soft and plushy. I think that alone would make me buy the 650s. I know you 650 owners feel good when you put on your HPs, right? You know what I am talking about.You all probably shaking your heads yes and smiling as you read this.

Anyway, the sound seemed a lil more muffled on the 650 than the 598 and the bass was pretty good on both sets. I kept switching between the two and that is what I noticed. I do not know what source they were using, I am sure a bad one. But I don't know, the 650 felt so good. At this point I am not sure what to get so I am going to wait it out and see. Since I live in City and I am mobile a lot I might just get the Bose noise cancelling HP until xmas so I can get the 650 or 800 with a really good amp. I will be needing both anyway because that is how my lifestyle is now. But the plush feeling when putting on those 650s was like heaven, they just make your ears sink in them like there being cuddled. 
L3000.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #4,144 of 46,514
Quote:
Ok, well while I was downtown Manhattan today working I stopped by JR World and went to test drive the HD650 and the HD598. I could tell a big difference in the build quality between the two immediately. The 650 felt more solid than the 598. I decided to try on the 598 first and it felt good with the velour ear pads I can compare it to a Corvette. I then took them off and tried on the 650 and OMG wow, there was a huge difference, it felt more like sitting in a Rolls Royce because it was so soft and plushy. I think that alone would make me buy the 650s. I know you 650 owners feel good when you put on your HPs, right? You know what I am talking about.You all probably shaking your heads yes and smiling as you read this.

Anyway, the sound seemed a lil more muffled on the 650 than the 598 and the bass was pretty good on both sets. I kept switching between the two and that is what I noticed. I do not know what source they were using, I am sure a bad one. But I don't know, the 650 felt so good. At this point I am not sure what to get so I am going to wait it out and see. Since I live in City and I am mobile a lot I might just get the Bose noise cancelling HP until xmas so I can get the 650 or 800 with a really good amp. I will be needing both anyway because that is how my lifestyle is now. But the plush feeling when putting on those 650s was like heaven, they just make your ears sink in them like there being cuddled. 
L3000.gif

Aside from comfort don't evaluate the phones sonically at J&R, at all.  They have terrible ancillaries there.  

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #4,146 of 46,514
After listening it over the past day or so. I love the synergy with the HD650 and the HDP. Music just sounds so much fuller. I pretty much listen to all types of music and it handles everything fairly well. I can't wait for it to better fit to my head for the optimal listening experience.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4,147 of 46,514

Quote:

L3000.gif

I actually bought mine from the manhattan J&R, and I actually brought my own amps with me, using an ipod classic through LOD as a source. I wasn't going to risk taking impressions off their dodgy equipment. Did you get a chance to try the HD800?

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #4,148 of 46,514
I'm very jealous of you guys--where I live, the only headphones that I can try before I buy (as if) are all Skullcandy, Bose, and Beats. *Jealous.*

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:51 PM Post #4,149 of 46,514

Quote:
I'm very jealous of you guys--where I live, the only headphones that I can try before I buy (as if) are all Skullcandy, Bose, and Beats. *Jealous.*

In the UK its actually very similar surprisingly. Ive only ever seen two shops which show some proper headphones.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #4,150 of 46,514

Quote:
In the UK its actually very similar surprisingly. Ive only ever seen two shops which show some proper headphones.

Closest thing I've got to a store that sells mid-fi/hi-fi headphones here is Guitar Center... and even then the 'good stuff' is all online. And the one by me doesn't have a listening station for testing out headphones anyways. In fact, you need a step stool or a ladder or a pole with a hook or something to get to most of them.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #4,151 of 46,514

Quote:
I actually bought mine from the manhattan J&R, and I actually brought my own amps with me, using an ipod classic through LOD as a source. I wasn't going to risk taking impressions off their dodgy equipment. Did you get a chance to try the HD800?

Wow. You brought you own amps thats a good idea. No I didn't not see it on the rack to be tested but as I was leaving I did see a whole bunch of HPs in the glass case and the 800 was there looking all used up. I did not know those were there to be tested until you just said this now. Plus I didn't have the money for those anyway but maybe next time I will try them just to listen to how they sound.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4,153 of 46,514
Does this mystical J&R have lots of other high-end headphones as well? Next time I'm in NY I can drop by and listen... Since the chances of me ever getting to hear them around here are slim-to-none.

Aug 11, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #4,154 of 46,514
The HD800 off of J&R's stuff is the very reason I posted what I posted earlier, it's abysmal.  Their amplifier (by the glass case) did some justice to the DX000s and Grados, ie. low efficiency, easy to drive headphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back