Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 27, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #3,466 of 46,518

Quote:
I got a really good deal on a 5ft headphile blacksilver cable which I've read does pretty much what i want with a bearable treble extension. I would like to stay away from copper here because I want to keep the bass as tight and away from the midrange as possible.

Not all copper cables are built equal. You can have tight bass with copper cables, but it's easier (IME) with silver. It really depends on the headphones too and what they were originally designed with.

Jun 27, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #3,467 of 46,518
I was in the same boat and ended up getting the Black Dragon for my HD600's.  Sold the HD600's and went to the HD650's and the Black Dragon is nice.  If you go down the middle (between Silver and Black), take a look at the Blue Dragon.. I think I would have gone that route instead id I originally had the HD650's.

Quote:
I will be ordering some hd650s this weekend. What is the best cable upgrade that doesn't "neautralize" the hd650s sound? I'm looking for something that keeps the laid back presentation of the hd650s that I've heard so much about yet brings in that extra clarity that the stock cable lacks.

So far I've read that the cardas, ZU, and Silver Dragon all extend the treble significantly which is something I'd like to avoid. A moderate amount of extension is fine but I don't want these to turn neutral on me.

My budget for the cable is roughly $300.

Jun 27, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #3,468 of 46,518
For those of you who are curious, here are some pictures of the old 'black silk' version of the drivers and newer 'steel mesh' version.

New= thicker Duofol material with parts number printed on diaphragm.
Old= thinner, shinier, with a number stamped on to the center of the diaphragm.

The back is the exact same thing, didn't want to take pictures of it. 

Jun 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3,470 of 46,518

Quote:
For those of you who are curious, here are some pictures of the old 'black silk' version of the drivers and newer 'steel mesh' version.

New= thicker Duofol material with parts number printed on diaphragm.
Old= thinner, shinier, with a number stamped on to the center of the diaphragm.

The back is the exact same thing, didn't want to take pictures of it. 

Excellent post! This clearly shows a difference in the physical driver. I've never seen that before.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3,473 of 46,518
I've just obtained some Amperex orange globe tubes (Holland, A-frames) for the Lyr and I cannot believe how much they've elevated this amp and consequently the HD650. I always thought the Fun's discrete amp section conveyed most the HD650's capabilities and the slight improvement the stock Lyr provided reinforced this belief. My first impressions of the HD650 matched with tubes were positive with the improvements in imaging and weight, but the initial tubes I tried in the Lyr sacrificed the transparency and resolve of my solid state amp for the musical presentation I craved.

The orange globes on the other hand are magical, and I encourage anyone with these cans and the Lyr to hear the great synergy at play here. The separation, width and depth of soundstage destroys the containment of the headphone listening experience. It's not a huge reverberated hall type soundstage, but it's certainly outside the head space, and the depth allows each instrument to occupy its own space. Imaging is elevated to another level as a result, and I now understand why this characteristic of the HD650 is talked up by those who've heard these cans perform at this level.

The bass is the most balanced and controlled I've heard from the HD650. It's organic and rich, and steps to the fore with authority when required. The smooth high end creates an expansive ceiling and accentuates the transparency and resolve being presented.

I don't usually listen to instrumental pieces but as I type this my internet radio stream is interrupted and it switches to the next available stream where Hans Zimmer's "King of the Pride" is playing and is followed by Ennio Morricone's "On Earth As It Is In Heaven". Epic. And fitting.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #3,474 of 46,518

Quote:
My Bottlehead Crack OTL amplifier should be ready next week, looking for a good source: pc -> ??? -> Crack -> hd650.
Any ideas?

You should wait untill the 30th when ''schitt'' brings out there new dac. if its as good as some of there amps are then it might be worth a pritty peny. :)

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:27 AM Post #3,476 of 46,518
I'm very interested to read up on the soon to be announced specs of the schitt DAC, but Bottlehead is going to be releasing a DAC kit of their own in the not too distant future.  Although I have been quite happy with my keces DAC, this will almost certainly be my next upgrade. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #3,477 of 46,518

Quote:
My budget for the cable is roughly $300.

That's quite the cable budget for a pair of phones that only costs a little over $300...

Have you contemplated funneling those funds towards a decent OTL amp instead?  There are quite a few worthy candidates in your price range, although I would chiefly recommend the BH Crack, discussed length at various points throughout this thread.  It works marvels with the whole Senn reference lineup (HD600/HD650/HD800's), and I suspect the sonic improvements you would perceive would be far greater than anything a cable could possibly provide.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #3,478 of 46,518

That's quite the cable budget for a pair of phones that only costs a little over $300...

Have you contemplated funneling those funds towards a decent OTL amp instead?  There are quite a few worthy candidates in your price range, although I would chiefly recommend the BH Crack, discussed length at various points throughout this thread.  It works marvels with the whole Senn reference lineup (HD600/HD650/HD800's), and I suspect the sonic improvements you would perceive would be far greater than anything a cable could possibly provide.

I purchased a headphile blacksilver cable from a forum member for $100. Ive got roughly 500-600 to spend so if i can get a good price on the 650s then ill definately look at a new amp. Right now im planning on buying the 650s from amazon for $450.

Sent from my htc thunderbolt.

Jun 28, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #3,479 of 46,518
I purchased a headphile blacksilver cable from a forum member for $100. Ive got roughly 500-600 to spend so if i can get a good price on the 650s then ill definately look at a new amp. Right now im planning on buying the 650s from amazon for $450.

Sent from my htc thunderbolt.

450.00 they can be bought for much cheaper than that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back