Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 16, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #2,476 of 46,519
Nice dude! Don't be too disappointed with the amp, just enjoy the journey. Way too many people around here are uppity and say "ohhh, you're driving it with that POS, hur duh hur." It's one component at a time, that's how you'll have the most fun!

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #2,479 of 46,519
@logwed: Thanks, man. I don't know what I've gotten myself into, but I'm guessing with the HD650, it'll just get better from here.

@Uchiya: Awesome suggestion! Pretty sweet price.

Sadly though, Headroom just e-mailed to say the headphones are delayed for a week or two. Poo.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #2,480 of 46,519
After owning both HD 800 and LCD2, my HD 650 finally arrived today. My first impression running off the Phoenix single ended (way worse than balanced) is already positive. Very good build quality. Not on HD 800 level of course, but I don´t feel bad about dropping these! Very lightweight and the most comfortable headphones I´ve ever tried. The HD 800 is also very comfortable, but it´s a little bit too big for me (still very nice though). The LCD-2 isn´t in the same league as either one comfort wise (they feel like wearing a coca cola bottle on your head weight wise).

As for the sound, well, I think the Sennheiser leaflet describes them well. I don´t hear a veil at all, sounds very natural, yet towards the easy listening direction. Beautiful treble. Not overdone, but not underdone (LCD2) either! This is what I´ve been looking for. Sounds good with all genres I´ve tried so far, but I have to give a special shoutout for the beautiful warm midrange. Are these neutral? Not really (neither are the LCD2 if you ask me, and HD 800 almost if it weren´t for the overdone treble). But they are tuned towards feeling the music, not analysing it! For once I actually agree with the marketing talk. The HD 650 are pretty much the Sennheiser "musical" line.

Even at this early stage (started burning them in now), I can already say I will be keeping these. There is nothing at all that annoys me in the sound signature - but no I don´t mean that they are perfect. Less detail than LCD2 and HD 800, but if I had to choose just one of the three and they´d all be the same price, I´d select this one. Looks like I found my first keeper headphones. This is what I wanted when I bought the LCD-2. The tonality is in the same direction, but not overdone and most importantly the soundstage is way beyond what the LCD2 can do. So is the comfort (which is extremely important, almost as important as the sound). Will add a more neutral can to my collection later though, something treble happy to use for classical etc.

Oh and PS: Audio-gd house sound is FANTASTIC with these. The Phoenix and REF7 have fantastic synergy with these. Highly recommended for anyone who finds overdone treble annoying, but isn´t willing to start wearing a brick / doesn´t like the ortho limited soundstage :)

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #2,481 of 46,519

Quote:
After owning both HD 800 and LCD2, my HD 650 finally arrived today. My first impression running off the Phoenix single ended (way worse than balanced) is already positive. Very good build quality. Not on HD 800 level of course, but I don´t feel bad about dropping these! Very lightweight and the most comfortable headphones I´ve ever tried. The HD 800 is also very comfortable, but it´s a little bit too big for me (still very nice though). The LCD-2 isn´t in the same league as either one comfort wise (they feel like wearing a coca cola bottle on your head weight wise).

As for the sound, well, I think the Sennheiser leaflet describes them well. I don´t hear a veil at all, sounds very natural, yet towards the easy listening direction. Beautiful treble. Not overdone, but not underdone (LCD2) either! This is what I´ve been looking for. Sounds good with all genres I´ve tried so far, but I have to give a special shoutout for the beautiful warm midrange. Are these neutral? Not really (neither are the LCD2 if you ask me, and HD 800 almost if it weren´t for the overdone treble). But they are tuned towards feeling the music, not analysing it! For once I actually agree with the marketing talk. The HD 650 are pretty much the Sennheiser "musical" line.

Even at this early stage (started burning them in now), I can already say I will be keeping these. There is nothing at all that annoys me in the sound signature - but no I don´t mean that they are perfect. Less detail than LCD2 and HD 800, but if I had to choose just one of the three and they´d all be the same price, I´d select this one. Looks like I found my first keeper headphones. This is what I wanted when I bought the LCD-2. The tonality is in the same direction, but not overdone and most importantly the soundstage is way beyond what the LCD2 can do. So is the comfort (which is extremely important, almost as important as the sound). Will add a more neutral can to my collection later though, something treble happy to use for classical etc.

Oh and PS: Audio-gd house sound is FANTASTIC with these. The Phoenix and REF7 have fantastic synergy with these. Highly recommended for anyone who finds overdone treble annoying, but isn´t willing to start wearing a brick / doesn´t like the ortho limited soundstage :)

Yep, they're a (sort of) jack of all trades; master of none.  I can't wait to hear them balanced.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2,482 of 46,519
Ebayer by the name of razordogdeals, authorized Sennheiser dealer.  Has them for 349.95 for bid and you'll win it for that price.  With the money saved u can pick up a 5' Silver Dragon mk2 from Drew at Moon-Audio for 225.  And I know a lot of people here are pushing for the "top tier" phones but the hd650 with a matched amp is audio-fi heaven.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #2,483 of 46,519
My experience with the "top tier" phones has been a mixed experience. In terms of comfort, they are all a step back from the previous flagships. Most importantly, they all seem to have a fatal annoying flaw (while at the same time doing many things almost perfectly). STAX is an exception though, but they have their own issues (difficult to import etc, limits choice). 

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #2,484 of 46,519
Glad you're enjoying the phones, but I'm a little unclear on this sentence. How can a treble happy can be more neutral? And why would a treble happy can be more suitable for classical? I listen to classical on the 650 and would not want anything brighter. The 650 is beautifully balanced for classical.

Quote:
Will add a more neutral can to my collection later though, something treble happy to use for classical etc.

Feb 18, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #2,485 of 46,519
Glad you're enjoying the phones, but I'm a little unclear on this sentence. How can a treble happy can be more neutral? And why would a treble happy can be more suitable for classical? I listen to classical on the 650 and would not want anything brighter. The 650 is beautifully balanced for classical.

Don't you crank the treble dial on your amp though?

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2,486 of 46,519
I received my pair from Dakmart today for $315.  I only have a iBasso D2+ Boa, but they are already stunning to me with this amp!  HD 650 has officially replaced Um3x as my favorite listening device~~
beyersmile.png

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #2,488 of 46,519

Quote:

Wow. That is some testimonial.

I agree with the synergy the HD650 has with the Audio-GD house sound. Even on my modest setup it's hard for me to fathom how it could get better. You and SP Wild aren't doing us poor HD650 owners any favors though, with your impressions and evil temptations. The NFB-10WM is very appealing but surely, even that's in diminishing returns territory.... right? Guys?

Edit: Just had a peak in the Phoenix thread. Wow. So tempted to go ALL IN!

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #2,489 of 46,519
Having a LCD-2 to compare myself, I generally prefer the smoother and cleaner sound of the LCD-2.  Different ears.  

The HD 650 wins on soundstage, but the LCD-2 simply sounds vastly more lifelike, and the soundstage isn't bad (I think the new tilted pads may have opened it up).  Also, the 650 is more comfy, too...  So it will definitely keep a place on the counter phone stand and will get plenty of appreciation...

Of course the LCD-2 is 3x the price, which makes a discounted 650 still an excellent, in fact an amazing value.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Feb 19, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #2,490 of 46,519

Quote:
Quote:

Don't you crank the treble dial on your amp though?

Oh god, you've caught me! Oops, didn't mean to say that. 
redface.gif

No, my point was, how can a "more neutral" headphone be "treble happy"?  Surely more neutral means it doesn't favour any part of the spectrum.  

PS: I only add a dash of treble. Never beyond 2 0'clock.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back