Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #2,491 of 46,527
This is exactly the way I feel with my Grado RS1i and my Beyer T1.Those are both special phones(and WAY more expensive) but my next trip abroad I will bring only my HD 650.

Quote:
After owning both HD 800 and LCD2, my HD 650 finally arrived today. My first impression running off the Phoenix single ended (way worse than balanced) is already positive. Very good build quality. Not on HD 800 level of course, but I don´t feel bad about dropping these! Very lightweight and the most comfortable headphones I´ve ever tried. The HD 800 is also very comfortable, but it´s a little bit too big for me (still very nice though). The LCD-2 isn´t in the same league as either one comfort wise (they feel like wearing a coca cola bottle on your head weight wise).

As for the sound, well, I think the Sennheiser leaflet describes them well. I don´t hear a veil at all, sounds very natural, yet towards the easy listening direction. Beautiful treble. Not overdone, but not underdone (LCD2) either! This is what I´ve been looking for. Sounds good with all genres I´ve tried so far, but I have to give a special shoutout for the beautiful warm midrange. Are these neutral? Not really (neither are the LCD2 if you ask me, and HD 800 almost if it weren´t for the overdone treble). But they are tuned towards feeling the music, not analysing it! For once I actually agree with the marketing talk. The HD 650 are pretty much the Sennheiser "musical" line.

Even at this early stage (started burning them in now), I can already say I will be keeping these. There is nothing at all that annoys me in the sound signature - but no I don´t mean that they are perfect. Less detail than LCD2 and HD 800, but if I had to choose just one of the three and they´d all be the same price, I´d select this one. Looks like I found my first keeper headphones. This is what I wanted when I bought the LCD-2. The tonality is in the same direction, but not overdone and most importantly the soundstage is way beyond what the LCD2 can do. So is the comfort (which is extremely important, almost as important as the sound). Will add a more neutral can to my collection later though, something treble happy to use for classical etc.

Oh and PS: Audio-gd house sound is FANTASTIC with these. The Phoenix and REF7 have fantastic synergy with these. Highly recommended for anyone who finds overdone treble annoying, but isn´t willing to start wearing a brick / doesn´t like the ortho limited soundstage :)

Feb 19, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #2,493 of 46,527
Alright the burn-in reach 50 hours+ and here is it goes.

E7/E9+Blacksilver cable vs E7/E9+Stock cable

1. blacksilver cable have more details especially with FLAC files less apparent with mp3 (192kbps for reference)
2. the vocal is also less muddy with the blacksilver cable compared to the stock cable
3. music seems cleaner with the blacksilver cable as well
4. I noticed this only with the FLAC file where the stock cable seem lack of speed

E9+HRT MS2+ w/stock cable vs E7/E9+Stock cable

1. one distant difference is the HRT MS2+ DAC provided much higher volume than the E7, all the music is louder with the HRT MS2+.
2. most of the sound of the E9+ HRT MS2+ w/stock cable sounds pretty much like the E7/E9 w/Blacksilver cable
3. bad recording music (some youtube video) with the HRT MS2+ is not enjoyable while the E7 isn't as bad in this scenario.
4. the HRT MS2+ bring the music closer if you know what that mean

E9+HRT MS2+ w/Blacksilver cable vs E9+HRT MS2+ w/stock cable

1. with the Blacksilver cable the details are more revealing
2. soundstage is wider with the Blacksilver cable
3. vocal seems more lively or live like with the Blacksilver cable

My conclusion is that the Blacksilver cable actually not a bad investment consider the price against other brand aftermarket cable.  For the money the Fiio E7/E9 probably the one of the best deal under 200 in my opinion, it did sounds much better than my HT Omega Claro Plus sound which is retail around $175.  E9 use the same headphone amp chip as the Asus Essence ST/STX.  I do believed diminish return as price increase and the audio improvement is not as scale well.

If some haven't read the E9 vs Beta22 amp comparison read it here post #128.

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2,494 of 46,527
What did you think of the construction of the Blacksilver? One review criticised its many joins, so that I expected it to look quite amateurish. It doesn't.

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #2,495 of 46,527
The construction of the Blacksilver is better than the stock cable to me cause it feels
1. not hard plastic like the stock, it feels easier on the hand like clothing feels not sure the exact wording to use.
2. I haven't tried other aftermarket cable so can't compare the professional level, but the price of the Blacksilver is the cheapest I can find. 

I count around 5 joins in my 1.5 meters long cable, 2 at each termination.  Just in case I upload the pictures of the cable.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2,496 of 46,527
I wonder how stiff and brittle that cable is compared to my uppoc copper (which seems to have the same thickness and is also encased in nylon multifilament sleeving). I'm curious to hear how it may sound on my setup.

Feb 19, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #2,497 of 46,527
There's no problem with stiffness or brittleness, nor microphony. As to sound, it's reputed to be the brightest cable available, which of course suits the 650 but would be a disaster with a DT880 or K702. It's all synergy.  

Feb 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #2,499 of 46,527
Cat Power's The Greatest in alac is phenomenal through these headphones. I went back to the more neutral Earth hdam and... wow, that voice! I love her.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #2,500 of 46,527
Well I was looking at various Grados for the last week or so, but I just pulled the trigger on one of these.  Got one from ebay from that razordogdeals guy.

Should I go for a FiiO e9 to go along with my e7 or get a Schiit Asgard?  Not looking to dish out the money for anything more expensive than that yet.

What do you guys think?

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:57 AM Post #2,501 of 46,527

Quote:
Well I was looking at various Grados for the last week or so, but I just pulled the trigger on one of these.  Got one from ebay from that razordogdeals guy.

Should I go for a FiiO e9 to go along with my e7 or get a Schiit Asgard?  Not looking to dish out the money for anything more expensive than that yet.

What do you guys think?

I can vouch for the E9. Truly a great amp. I'm never buying a different amp.

Anyway I just want to mention how truly amazing the HD650. I've never been so satisfied; I never feel upgradtitis when listening to my HD650.

Listening to Bonnie Pink and School Food Punishment; the mids are so realistic it's as if the vocals were not recorded through a mic but sung directly to my ears.

My DT880 is a joke compared to my HD650.

Can't understand how one could prefer something over the HD650 (in it's price range) or feel that it's not bright enough.

Feb 20, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #2,502 of 46,527
Quote:
I can vouch for the E9. Truly a great amp. I'm never buying a different amp.

Anyway I just want to mention how truly amazing the HD650. I've never been so satisfied; I never feel upgradtitis when listening to my HD650.

Listening to Bonnie Pink and School Food Punishment; the mids are so realistic it's as if the vocals were not recorded through a mic but sung directly to my ears.

My DT880 is a joke compared to my HD650.

Can't understand how one could prefer something over the HD650 (in it's price range) or feel that it's not bright enough.

Man, you're making me mad Headphone.com delayed the shipment. =(

Can't wait though. I think I'll be saving up for the E7/E9 combo, if not something more expensive.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #2,503 of 46,527
Time for an update now that I´ve burned these in for two days with my iPod during the night etc. By the way, man these sound bad from an iPod (just as they should with their specs) :D I was shocked how muddy they were. But to get to my actual current impressions now that I´ve listened to lots of different material with these...

I think these sound a lot like an out of head soundstage version of the Shure 530 I used to have. And by that I mean very high praise, as I easily prefered the Shure530 tonality over the LCD-2 and HD 800. So to comment on Bisayabois "Can't understand how one could prefer something over the HD650 (in it's price range)"... To be honest I really, really prefer these over all the high end dynamic headphones I´ve heard (including the T1, HD 800 and LCD2). The HD 650 tonality is just perfect to my ears, and it still has beautiful soundstaging. Don´t get me wrong, the current high price flagships do many things extremely well, but all in my experience have an extremely annoying flaw. The HD 650 has no such flaw. The only minus I´ve discovered is that they don´t sound nearly as good as the high price ones with low volume listening. But they are the only dynamic headphones I´ve tried in addition to the LCD2 that allow me to crank up the volume without getting any sort of listening fatigue (also known as the HD 800/T1/DT 880 SHRILL SIBILANCE OF HELL that prevents all attempts at higher volume listening).

That is a remarkable achievement. In all the headphones I´ve tried, I honestly think the HD 650 as an overall package sound the best. With the current low price, these are also extremely good value. I sincerely hope Sennheiser revisits the HD 650 design goal someday with a new product (as stated in the manual, easy listening musicality instead of the hardcore neutrality target of the HD 800). I would love to see the HD 800 ring drivers, angled, with the tonality of the HD 650. But until that happens, these are for me, the best headphones I´ve tried in the dynamic headphone world. I wouldn´t have expected to end up with these, as I specifically decided to go for the new praised flagships. Can´t wait to balance the cable so I can hear the full 2W per channel at 300ohm in pure class A that the Phoenix delivers :) Judging by the iPod test, these really, really like a lot of power to bring them alive. Amped properly, these is no veil, simply a glorious relaxing, but powerful sound. The bass strikes hard, highs are beautifully non-fatiguing and natural without being too recessed like on the LCD2. The midrange is a bit forward and warm, like on the Shure 530. 

PS: I also prefer the K701 over the current flagships I´ve tried, and those will probably end up my second dynamic headphones to complement these.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:09 AM Post #2,504 of 46,527

Quote:
Time for an update now that I´ve burned these in for two days with my iPod during the night etc. By the way, man these sound bad from an iPod (just as they should with their specs) :D I was shocked how muddy they were. But to get to my actual current impressions now that I´ve listened to lots of different material with these...

I think these sound a lot like an out of head soundstage version of the Shure 530 I used to have. And by that I mean very high praise, as I easily prefered the Shure530 tonality over the LCD-2 and HD 800. So to comment on Bisayabois "Can't understand how one could prefer something over the HD650 (in it's price range)"... To be honest I really, really prefer these over all the high end dynamic headphones I´ve heard (including the T1, HD 800 and LCD2). The HD 650 tonality is just perfect to my ears, and it still has beautiful soundstaging. Don´t get me wrong, the current high price flagships do many things extremely well, but all in my experience have an extremely annoying flaw. The HD 650 has no such flaw. The only minus I´ve discovered is that they don´t sound nearly as good as the high price ones with low volume listening. But they are the only dynamic headphones I´ve tried in addition to the LCD2 that allow me to crank up the volume without getting any sort of listening fatigue (also known as the HD 800/T1/DT 880 SHRILL SIBILANCE OF HELL that prevents all attempts at higher volume listening).

That is a remarkable achievement. In all the headphones I´ve tried, I honestly think the HD 650 as an overall package sound the best. With the current low price, these are also extremely good value. I sincerely hope Sennheiser revisits the HD 650 design goal someday with a new product (as stated in the manual, easy listening musicality instead of the hardcore neutrality target of the HD 800). I would love to see the HD 800 ring drivers, angled, with the tonality of the HD 650. But until that happens, these are for me, the best headphones I´ve tried in the dynamic headphone world. I wouldn´t have expected to end up with these, as I specifically decided to go for the new praised flagships. Can´t wait to balance the cable so I can hear the full 2W per channel at 300ohm in pure class A that the Phoenix delivers :) Judging by the iPod test, these really, really like a lot of power to bring them alive. Amped properly, these is no veil, simply a glorious relaxing, but powerful sound. The bass strikes hard, highs are beautifully non-fatiguing and natural without being too recessed like on the LCD2. The midrange is a bit forward and warm, like on the Shure 530. 

PS: I also prefer the K701 over the current flagships I´ve tried, and those will probably end up my second dynamic headphones to complement these.

Thanks for that. I'm not buying any more full-size headphones lol. :)

I'll just be waiting for Sennheiser to do like you said a new and improved HD650.. if that's possible.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #2,505 of 46,527
I finally believe these to be broken in at almost 300 hrs, so I have been trying cables. I have the stock of course, as well as the Cardas and original Stefan Audio Arts Equinox. I like the fact that the Equinox seems to open up the upper mids and treble a bit (less "veil"), but the midrange and bass is not as seductive as the stock cable. Not sure what to make of the Cardas on the 650's - just seems kinda of "blah" and "gray" to me compared to either the OEM or Equinox.

The Blue Dragon and Zu Mobius (which doesn't seem to be available anymore from what I can see - at least I can't find a link to anyone selling it via Google) seem to be the primary "mainstream" alternatives. Not sure whether to try a Blue Dragon or stick with OEM. I guess I need to search and read through all of the 650 cable threads again 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back