Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #2,296 of 46,499
Quote:
I think of getting a pair of 650s.

Could any1 tell me how well the 650s do with:

- female vocal jazz  
- acoustic / songwriters 
- alternative / rock (disturbed, bfmv, breaking benjamin, three days grace)
- prog (porcupine tree, dream theater)
- metal (judas priest, children of bodom, iron maiden)

some impressions would be nice

greez

They are excellent with vocals period (jazz or not) & also with acoustic guitars.  The only place I find them lacking is with classical & it's variants including some movie scores.   

Jan 27, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #2,297 of 46,499

Quote:
I think of getting a pair of 650s.

Could any1 tell me how well the 650s do with:

- female vocal jazz - Very good, one of their strong points is jazz, they can transmit that jazz club sensation awesomely nice.
- acoustic / songwriters  - Also very good, although can be slightly dark for some tastes, but overall I think this is also a strong 650 point.
- alternative / rock (disturbed, bfmv, breaking benjamin, three days grace) -  This might be one of their weaker points, although not that bad, its just that electric guitars are not the 650's forte, along with cymbals which IMO takes away the feeling in alternative and rock a little bit (although some might like their non-offensive treble reproduction).
- prog (porcupine tree, dream theater) - Ok, not great but not bad, but can lack the transient response to make this genres shine (particularly if not well amped IME). Also mid bass can get a little overwhelming in some DT recordings (in which Portnoy's drums are already slightly accentuated), but PT is pretty good through the 650. The layering that the 650 can achieve is what makes them not bad at all here.
- metal (judas priest, children of bodom, iron maiden) - Pretty much the same case as the above, except that the layering is not that important, once again they are ok, but can actually be pretty good with some of the brighter recordings in heavy metal like Iron Maiden's eponymous album.

some impressions would be nice

greez

Impressions in bold

Jan 27, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #2,299 of 46,499
Hi HFiers !!

Any of you guys heard both HD 650 and Denon AH-D5000 ? I'm really torn between these headphones and i cannot make the choice
frown.gif

i won't be able to hear them in a retail store before purchase. I can't afford the D7K as it's twice the price of the D5k here in EU.

D5k cost around €500
HD650 cost €300 but will need proper amp so the price won't be too different

Please help me
biggrin.gif
what is the more enjoyable to listen to ?

Music preferences : rock / electronic / jazz are the main ones , i listen to nearly all genres

thanks a lot !!
darthsmile.gif

Sorry for the off topic 
redface.gif

Jan 27, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #2,300 of 46,499

Quote:
Hi HFiers !!

Any of you guys heard both HD 650 and Denon AH-D5000 ? I'm really torn between these headphones and i cannot make the choice
frown.gif

i won't be able to hear them in a retail store before purchase. I can't afford the D7K as it's twice the price of the D5k here in EU.

D5k cost around €500
HD650 cost €300 but will need proper amp so the price won't be too different

Please help me
biggrin.gif
what is the more enjoyable to listen to ?

Music preferences : rock / electronic / jazz are the main ones , i listen to nearly all genres

thanks a lot !!
darthsmile.gif

Sorry for the off topic 
redface.gif

I would THINK you'd want to amp the D5k also.. just with a more current-strong amp, rather than voltage-strong. I could be wrong though.

Unrelated: Just got a HD650 in today, can't wait to test it! I will be deciding whether to keep it or my HD600. I COULD afford to keep both, but I'd feel so guilty when the money could go elsewhere, at least to a different type of can altogether!

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #2,301 of 46,499
Any fans of The National in here? I've not had an extended listening session for a few weeks and I'm gobsmacked at how the HD650 draws me into the music. Total engagement. Man I love these cans.

Edit: Perhaps it's the colouration introduced by the moon hdam in my dac's output stage, but for me the rendition of electric guitars is one of the HD650's towering achievements.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM Post #2,302 of 46,499
i also think they do great with electric guitar. i listen to mostly metal and prog rock which of course all has electric guitar.

Quote:
Any fans of The National in here? I've not had an extended listening session for a few weeks and I'm gobsmacked at how the HD650 draws me into the music. Total engagement. Man I love these cans.

Edit: Perhaps it's the colouration introduced by the moon hdam in my dac's output stage, but for me the rendition of electric guitars is one of the HD650's towering achievements.

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #2,303 of 46,499
Okay guys thanks for the impressions.

Is there actually a phone that is amazing-oh-awesome with electric guitars?
I had K701, which actually sucks with it, DT880 (but I miss the punch in the bass here, and the treble is a bit too loud) and now I'll try HD650..

seems like every phone is good at jazz/classical/acoustic but sucks at rock :frowning2:
Always thought about a Grado, but prices are craaaazy in EU

greez

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #2,304 of 46,499

Quote:
Okay guys thanks for the impressions.

Is there actually a phone that is amazing-oh-awesome with electric guitars?
I had K701, which actually sucks with it, DT880 (but I miss the punch in the bass here, and the treble is a bit too loud) and now I'll try HD650..

seems like every phone is good at jazz/classical/acoustic but sucks at rock :frowning2:
Always thought about a Grado, but prices are craaaazy in EU

greez

Is the price difference in Grado's worth buying them in USD and having someone ship to you?

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #2,307 of 46,499
Please HD650ers with headphone amps.  WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND for the HD650 for a budget of $300.00 or less (not a penny more!)
I am currently torn between the Purity Audio K.I.C.A.S or the Schiit Asgard.  I need a neutral amp that adds NO coloration.  Also, I have decided not to look into the Matrix m stage.

PLEASE HELP MEH

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #2,308 of 46,499

Quote:
Oh yes,

For example, the SR225i is 200$ at amazon.com, while it's 300€ in EU, which is like 411USD :frowning2:

greez

Do you know how much it might cost to ship to you? I'd be happy to ship a pair if you were able to buy them at amazon US and drop them to me. I'm sure some other head-fi'ers with good feedback might do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back