Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #2,101 of 46,554
i was just messing around with my portable player(HTC Incredible), loaded a new ROM onto it so i had to test out the audio. i tried it with my XB500's and then my Brainwavz M2 IEM's and i can no longer really stand the sound of either. both are too bassy and sound so narrow. then just for the hell of it i plugged my HD650's into it. i heard no clipping or distortion, it just didn't get very loud. then i grabbed my old Fiio E5 and hooked that to my portable and the HD650's. it wasn't as bad as i had imagined it would sound. obviously it's no HeadRoom amp, but it wasn't unbearable. it got loud enough as well.

this leads me to ask, what is the portable equivalent to the HD650 that is fairly efficient so it can be run straight out of my portable player? i would use the E5 along with it, but the E5 and other cheap amps like it that aren't solid metal are subject to nasty interference when used with cell phones as sources. so it would be better in my case to use them unamped. i'm thinking maybe the PortaPro's or the UR-55. any other suggestions?

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #2,105 of 46,554
For quality portability and flexibility, quite a few of us are using the Headstage Arrow. It's a design marvel, will drive your sensitive IEMs and has plenty of clean power to drive 300ohm cans.

Quote:
i was just messing around with my portable player(HTC Incredible), loaded a new ROM onto it so i had to test out the audio. i tried it with my XB500's and then my Brainwavz M2 IEM's and i can no longer really stand the sound of either. both are too bassy and sound so narrow. then just for the hell of it i plugged my HD650's into it. i heard no clipping or distortion, it just didn't get very loud. then i grabbed my old Fiio E5 and hooked that to my portable and the HD650's. it wasn't as bad as i had imagined it would sound. obviously it's no HeadRoom amp, but it wasn't unbearable. it got loud enough as well.

this leads me to ask, what is the portable equivalent to the HD650 that is fairly efficient so it can be run straight out of my portable player? i would use the E5 along with it, but the E5 and other cheap amps like it that aren't solid metal are subject to nasty interference when used with cell phones as sources. so it would be better in my case to use them unamped. i'm thinking maybe the PortaPro's or the UR-55. any other suggestions?

Jan 4, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #2,106 of 46,554

Quote:
Anyone tried this on the HD650?
I've done it today, and I'm listening to them right now: they actually sound different. Better? I don't know yet...

It's been discussed, but few seem to like the change long term; it seems to lose part of the  special warm, organic character of the 650s. I tried removing just the foam insert and found the sound a little echoey and metallic. I concluded that the designers knew what they were doing, which is a very reasonable thing to conclude.  

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #2,107 of 46,554

Anybody have any experience with this replacement leather headband?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-Headphone-Upgrade-HD650-600-580-Audiophile-/200476508258

I was looking for aftermarket cables, and just stumbled on it.  For $28, it almost seems like it's worth an impulse purchase, but if somebody's tried it and didn't (or did) like it, I'd like to hear their opinion before clicking the "buy now" button.  Been doing that way too much lately.  Now, back to the quest for the ideal, affordable upgrade cable....

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #2,108 of 46,554
I wouldn't put that on my sister's bicycle handlebars. :wink:

Quote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sennheiser-Headphone-Upgrade-HD650-600-580-Audiophile-/200476508258

I was looking for aftermarket cables, and just stumbled on it.  For $28, it almost seems like it's worth an impulse purchase, but if somebody's tried it and didn't (or did) like it, I'd like to hear their opinion before clicking the "buy now" button.  Been doing that way too much lately.  Now, back to the quest for the ideal, affordable upgrade cable....

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2,110 of 46,554

Quote:

Buy it. It works just fine. (Although, if you're in the US, you might be able to get the same thing from BeyerDynamic for somewhat less, since it's one of their replacement parts. Check their site).

Jan 4, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #2,111 of 46,554

Quote:
It's been discussed, but few seem to like the change long term; it seems to lose part of the  special warm, organic character of the 650s. I tried removing just the foam insert and found the sound a little echoey and metallic. I concluded that the designers knew what they were doing, which is a very reasonable thing to conclude.  

Metallic is probably the right word!
I'll try the mod for a week or so and then I'll put the foam back.
In the next few days I should also get a recabled DT880, 600ohm...We'll see if I like them :)

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #2,113 of 46,554
After weeks of reading and having hard time picking the right headphone I end up buying the HD650 on ebay today, also order the Fiio E7/E9 to pair it up.  Let's see how it fares against my ATH-A700 + HT Omega Claro Plus sound card setup. 

I kind love and hated this forum, after just a week in the forum already spend more money than I ever thought.  I do appreciated quality music, so I am grateful for the knowledge I gain from the forum.  I will report back after I have the setup to test.

Jan 5, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2,114 of 46,554
Just got my HD650 in the mail today and paired with my Essence ST soundcard and listening to some Ozric Tentacles, I think I've come a step closer to audio heaven.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #2,115 of 46,554
Got my second hand HD650 three days ago... I was waiting for this moment for so long.
Now it's near the wa6, and they sound really great!
...only some difficulties for the classical music: the piano (in some concertos with orchestra) sounds very nasal and "staccato" without the natural release of the notes... but other system to come for the classical listenings!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back