Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #781 of 46,554
Is it true that the HD650s have much stronger bass than most open cans? I love the airy sound and huge soundstage of my AD900s, but would prefer powerful bass (think Bose or DT770 Pro.) If the 650s combine those properties, I will probably buy a pair.

I am currently using the HP jack in my Onkyo reciever, but I also have an older Sony CD changer with its own headphone output built in that I could try instead. Is one of those good enough to drive the 650s?

(Man, I hate this keyboard. I keep having to edit due to stuck keys!)

Aug 12, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #782 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it true that the HD650s have much stronger bass than most open cans? I love the airy sound and huge soundstage of my AD900s, but would prefer powerful bass (think Bose or DT770 Pro.) If the 650s combine those properties, I will probably buy a pair.

I am currently using the HP jack in my Onkyo reciever, but I also have an older Sony CD changer with its own headphone output built in that I could try instead. Is one of those good enough to drive the 650s?

(Man, I hate this keyboard. I keep having to edit due to stuck keys!)

No, it's not true. Don't expect DT770 Pro-level bass from any open can, let alone the HD650s. The bassiest open headphones I've heard are the PRO2500 and the DT990. The HD650 are quite balanced. The bass and lower mids are a bit north of neutral but you'll never feel they have too much bass unless you come across a monstrously bassy recording.

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #785 of 46,554
I love my HD650 for its warm bass, lush, wonderful vocals, amazing instrument separation, depth and very smooth high end.

The only cans that can beat it is only HD800, but still HD650 has some strengths that hold its own against HD800.

I'm keeping this with HD800 (ordering)

Aug 14, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #786 of 46,554
I'm waiting for a big price-drop, ala HD650, not forking out a grand.

Aug 14, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #787 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You mean DacMagic with this or what? So do you think that its not worth going balanced? But i have DacMagic for about few months because its new version and i really like it. And it was not cheap so i dont want to sell it right now.

I could not agree more on the quality and value of the DacMagic. I have no intention of selling mine until a USB DAC which accepts 24/192 for hi res playback becomes available for less than 3K. The DacMagic is that good in my opinion.

Aug 19, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #788 of 46,554
I am now a happy HD650 owner. I thought I might need a new amp also, but they sound great from my Onkyo receiver. I am done with headphone shopping now, because there is simply no "up" from here (short of HD800, which costs more than I will ever be willing/able to spend.)

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:04 PM Post #789 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob T /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the HD650's certainly have more bass than K701's for example. I owned both and was able to do a direct A/B comparison.

The HD650 certainly sounds bassier but I get the impression the K701 is somewhat clearer and more detailed in the bass region - you just can't hear it well.

Aug 19, 2009 at 2:59 PM Post #790 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanielCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 certainly sounds bassier but I get the impression the K701 is somewhat clearer and more detailed in the bass region - you just can't hear it well.

What good is being clearer and more detailed if you can't hear it well?
confused.gif

I listened to some acoustic jazz on my 650s, and it sounded just like what I remember from live jazz clubs, so I don't really see any room for improvement in that area, personally. (In fact, I am hard put to find any weaknesses at all, other than lack of isolation.)

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #791 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What amp do you use?
It's interesting you mention lack of punch. I listened a lot of Alan Parsons Project and Pink Floyd last week. I was actually impressed how slammy it sounded.
I did a reality check by switching between my Darkvoice and the headphone out of my DAC.
The difference in punchyness is really easy to tell. My Darkvoice definitely lifts it up. To an impressive level actually. Mind you this is a tube amp. Another myth busted about all tube amps lacking punch.
My point is the HD650 needs a nice amp to really shine.

Yes you need of a good amp able to work at 600ohm impedance of the HD650's.

I drive mine with Antique Sound Lab MG-Head OTL MarkIII amp.

Very very good performances with tubes!!!

Aug 19, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #792 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listened to some acoustic jazz on my 650s, and it sounded just like what I remember from live jazz clubs, so I don't really see any room for improvement in that area, personally. (In fact, I am hard put to find any weaknesses at all, other than lack of isolation.)

Exactly. There's a lot of talk here about which phone has the better bass, smoother treble etc. When I judge a phone, I listen to live acoustic music--in my case classical at the Sydney Opera House--and judge my phones from that. And what I hear consistently validates my choice of the HD650.

This isn't to say the 650 is perfect--far from. Just that it's balanced to emulate live acoustic music heard from a reasonable distance, which is what I'm after. That's why I'm not interested in a brighter phone like the 800, even if I could afford it. It may give me a better soundstage, which would be nice, as would better instrumental separation, which I'm sure it has. But if it's significantly brighter I feel it would give me better insight into the music's details at the expense of that illusion of being in the concert hall, Row 30, Seat A1. Not to mention have a poorer tolerance of less than perfect material, which is one of the 650's great strengths.

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #794 of 46,554
Quote:

Originally Posted by angelo60 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes you need of a good amp able to work at 600ohm impedance of the HD650's.

I drive mine with Antique Sound Lab MG-Head OTL MarkIII amp.

Very very good performances with tubes!!!

You probably meant 300 Ohms good sir
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back