Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #766 of 46,565
^The Source probably. depends if there is a weak link. There is an order in which to buy stuff.

I know it begins Headphones>Source[w/decent files]...

Aug 6, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #768 of 46,565
I prefer listening to FLAC. For so two main reasons; I can have X-thousand songs to hand and they're pretty much intangible data[infinitely copyable, pretty much indestructible, perfect/exact].

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #771 of 46,565
yes the difference is that huge.

Now whether the difference is worth the price premium... dont quite know about that. But then again I am the type that will never be able to justify a $1000+ headphone purchase

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:38 PM Post #772 of 46,565
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahlerfan999 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm archiving in flac, and I use foobar2000+lame when I want to quickly make mp3s for my mp3 player. My dream is to have my music collection on cd, flac on both of my computers and burned on dvd-r.

...or a few dl-BDs.
ksc75smile.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #773 of 46,565
Have there any comments made on the HD650 being rewired with a balanced cable?
I'm getting my cans balanced for my Audio-GD Phoenix amp.
Before listening to my new setup, I'd like to read more comments and impressions on the HD650 balanced.
So far, I've read that they benefit from the mod. Soundtsage is bigger and there is more instrument separation.

Aug 7, 2009 at 5:37 AM Post #774 of 46,565
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have there any comments made on the HD650 being rewired with a balanced cable?
I'm getting my cans balanced for my Audio-GD Phoenix amp.
Before listening to my new setup, I'd like to read more comments and impressions on the HD650 balanced.
So far, I've read that they benefit from the mod. Soundtsage is bigger and there is more instrument separation.

this is my next step too with my HD650..already started to save money for the headroom BUDA. from what i read here, the difference is absolutely felt but it is not night and day difference by meaning of turning the HD650 to a different can. but this is how things work in HI-FI...you need to pay a lot for a little improvement, but all the little improvements are combined to a big one eventually and create a lot better listening experience.

I feel that I just have to balance mine...I feel that they need this upgrade to excel. don't get me wrong, they sound very nice with my ultra micro stack, but it is still lacks some power, so if i am gonna upgrade my amp i will go for the top this time.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #775 of 46,565
How does 'balancing' exactly work?

Aug 10, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #776 of 46,565
I have HD650 for about 7 monhs now and i really like them. My current setup is in my sig. DacMagic > DarkVoice > HD650. This combo sounds good but i am thinking of going one step up. Balanced.
But i need some help. I dont want to spend a lot of money on this. I just want simple good balanced setup that is in any way improvement over stock.
But i dont know where to look. I need new headphone amp right? And cable for HD650. So what are good balanced amps for not too high price? And what cable should i be looking at? I need few examples to know where to start looking. And i will keep DacMagic so there is no need for dac in amp.

And the most important thing. Is going balanced really big difference in sound? What in sound is improved?

And i live in Europe so its easier to get things here. So links from US stores doesnt help me a lot because in this case i will have to pay customs, taxes...

Thanks.

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #777 of 46,565
Quote:

Originally Posted by ElephantTLK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
. I just want simple good balanced setup that is in any way improvement over stock.
Thanks.

IMO a balanced tube amp makes no sense, just get an amp with more gain. 99% of raving ameteur reviews of balanced tue amps are just because the reviewers like the higher gain.

SS is a different story if you are going for an ultra noise free amp (no hisss at high volume), look at building AMB's design.

My personal opinion is that even though its an expensive piece of gear your Sigma-Delta DAC is your weak link, I would upgrade that first. Look for something R2R + discrete or tubes, you want to get the opamps out of the electronic chain.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #778 of 46,565
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO a balanced tube amp makes no sense, just get an amp with more gain. 99% of raving ameteur reviews of balanced tue amps are just because the reviewers like the higher gain.

SS is a different story if you are going for an ultra noise free amp (no hisss at high volume), look at building AMB's design.

My personal opinion is that even though its an expensive piece of gear your Sigma-Delta DAC is your weak link, I would upgrade that first. Look for something R2R + discrete or tubes, you want to get the opamps out of the electronic chain.

You mean DacMagic with this or what? So do you think that its not worth going balanced? But i have DacMagic for about few months because its new version and i really like it. And it was not cheap so i dont want to sell it right now.

Aug 12, 2009 at 8:54 AM Post #779 of 46,565
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave650 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Totally true, that. The HD650 loves new things! I changed from Grado headphone amp, high gain, to the Darkvoice 336se, and my 650s just came even more to life, pushing serious air around in my skull.

Er, I'm pretty sure there's not supposed to be any air in there. Have you seen a doctor lately?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back