Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #481 of 46,499
Yeah, that's what I keep reading. It really is a fantastic amp, especially for the $250 I paid for it. Of course, I see 332s in the $300-$400 range now, but my budget was much smaller when I bought it in September. I'm probably not going to upgrade until I can afford something in the $500+ range, as I'll probably get a new pair of headphones or a new CD player well before I feel the need to upgrade my amp.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #482 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now... if you want to try another "sweet" combo - try the D5000s with the Dv332, or even better the X-CANv8. They're great with either... and may actually be better than the Senns... in some respects (i.e. soundstage, organic tone and texture, shimmering treble, with even greater detail).

I'm betting you'll like those about as well as your Stax also.

Of course... assuming a good source.

You have definitely hit me where it hurts!! My pocketbook.
My most recent headphone purchase actually boiled down to the following:
Stax 404s to keep my Lambdas company and give my 313 amp a little more work, HD650s (which I ultimately settled on), and the Denon 5000s.
The final decision simply came down to money. I got the Senns for a net of $280. The Denons and 404s were going to run about $200 more.
That being said, unless I switch gears completely and go for the gusto, meaning an Omega Stax rig next, the Denon 5000s are probably my next move.
I have long been in the market for a Xin reference and continue to be. They are hard to find, even used, for a reasonable price. If you run across what you consider a good deal on one, definitely let me know.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #483 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, that's what I keep reading. It really is a fantastic amp, especially for the $250 I paid for it. Of course, I see 332s in the $300-$400 range now, but my budget was much smaller when I bought it in September. I'm probably not going to upgrade until I can afford something in the $500+ range, as I'll probably get a new pair of headphones or a new CD player well before I feel the need to upgrade my amp.

You are definitely smart to stay where you are for now. The clear cut level up is definitely in the $500 plus range. All the Darkvoice amps are superb including the 336i which is arguably the best deal for the money. I just happened to be able to afford the extra $90 at the time I pulled the trigger so I went with the 332. I found the 336i very tempting though.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #484 of 46,499
Guys... Does anyone know about a way to protect the headband? I have oily hair and It would be nice to have something around it to protect it over time. I know that the headband of BEYERDYNAMIC DT-770 can do, but the only site that sells them, here needs bank orders and stuff... Is there any alternative?

Aug 3, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #486 of 46,499
Quote:

Waitaminute...there are multiple versions of the 650s??

Yes... check out the "old" vs "new" version thead - more than you want to know.

Just be sure you get the HD650s with the white/silver metalic looking fabric covering the driver baffles, rather than the black silk looking fabric - you can see it from the outside through the screens/grills. Most all new HD650s since ~12/06 have been the "new" version.

The "real deal" right now is from B&H Photo, or J&R Electronics with the $50 rebate - net price is $280.

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:13 AM Post #487 of 46,499
Old and so called "new" sound identical, if there are any variations between different pairs they are not related to the age or the baffling material used.
Gradofan2, please stop that madness, for a person who never A/B-ed old and new pair you are way too active promoting "new" Senns and confusing newcomers here. Geez.

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #488 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Old and so called "new" sound identical, if there are any variations between different pairs they are not related to the age or the baffling material used.
Gradofan2, please stop that madness, for a person who never A/B-ed old and new pair you are way too active promoting "new" Senns and confusing newcomers here. Geez.

Here's the solution...

Either I'm right... or... you're right - correct?

But... there is the possibility that I'm right (I assure you I am, but it doesn't matter) - correct?

If there is the possiblity that I'm right, and you're wrong... then... any prospective buyer can quite simply resolve the issue... by... simply buying the "new" version (those produced since 12/06 and with the white/silver fabric covering the baffles)... and... they simply won't have to worry whether they sound alike, or not - they will have a pair of HD650s (or HD58/600s) that sound as good as they can... which is great!

So... forget the debate... and move on... with a pair with the white/silver fabric covering the baffles (the "new" version) - and no one will have to worry whether the "old" version sound different than the "new" version - it's no longer relevant.

Surely... even you... can understand that - right?

So... if you're about to buy the HD650s... DO NOT BUY A PAIR WITH THE BLACK SILK FABRIC covering the baffles... unless... you like a dark, laid-back sound with no highs - then... by all means do so!

Though... I can assure you... you'll be very pleased with the "new" version.

Or... maybe... you're one of those, who have the "old" version with the black silk fabric covering the baffles... and... you're a bit concerned you may not find too many buyers who want them? Just maybe... huh?

Which also... by the way... is one of the several reasons (I explained earlier)... why Sennheiser has not announced the "new" version, and denies they sound different than the "old" version.

"It's all... so very... elementary, my Dear Watson!"

Aug 3, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #489 of 46,499
I'm as ill-prepared for the new-vs-old-HD650 as anybody who hasn't A/B'd a pre-2007 (?) unit and a brand-new one. But I think its more reasonable for me to believe that there is a new version than to withhold judgment on the matter. My reasoning:
1. I have no reason to suspect those that claim to have noticed a difference.
2. I've read quite a bit about the pre-2007 HD650, and many claimed that it was "veiled", "sluggish", "blurry", and (my favorite) "chocolaty-sounding".
3. I bought my K701 solely on strength of Wes Phillips review of it in Stereophile (ah, those dark, pre-Head-Fi days!...). If I'm not mistaken, he compared the pre-2007 HD650 to the K701 amp'ed by a Max'd Desktop like mine, and preferred the latter, claiming it was more detailed. I kept the K701 for about a year. It was not more detailed than the HD650 I have on my head right now. I find it hard to believe he was talking about these HD650.
Therefore, most likely, I'm listening to the new HD650. (Therefore, I think you're right, Gradofan2.)

Not bullet-proof evidence, all right, but good enough for me right now.

beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:20 PM Post #490 of 46,499
Guys, without wanting to disturb anyone here, dont you have anything better to do than arguing about the models? Its all about sound in the end. Ok considering that the old model is veiled. Even if this is the case, we are talking about high end headphones here. They sound different in different setups. I am sure that the difference on sound from the new model in a good and moderate setup will be more prominent than the difference between the new and old model in the same setup (if there is any, assuming that gradofan2 is correct, I cannot disagree as I have not hear them both). The sound depends on the components. If someone find that there is some veil, changing the cables will help a bit. I have to say one word though. Even the new 650 (which I own) ARE veiled if you use them in a crappy equipment. Now I think sennheiser did a mistake on pricing these headphones that low. They rendered them consumer products for the avarage Joe with no amp and no good source. No, these headphones are high end and they need good stuff to shine. Take that in mind: Their sound completely changes and depends from the components. And now we are talking about different versions???

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #492 of 46,499
Quote:

Any pics of old vs. new, just for reference?

Yes... several.

Do a search on the relevant threads - I think their on at least two.

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #493 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeisnna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, without wanting to disturb anyone here, dont you have anything better to do than arguing about the models? Its all about sound in the end. Ok considering that the old model is veiled. Even if this is the case, we are talking about high end headphones here. They sound different in different setups. I am sure that the difference on sound from the new model in a good and moderate setup will be more prominent than the difference between the new and old model in the same setup (if there is any, assuming that gradofan2 is correct, I cannot disagree as I have not hear them both). The sound depends on the components. If someone find that there is some veil, changing the cables will help a bit. I have to say one word though. Even the new 650 (which I own) ARE veiled if you use them in a crappy equipment. Now I think sennheiser did a mistake on pricing these headphones that low. They rendered them consumer products for the avarage Joe with no amp and no good source. No, these headphones are high end and they need good stuff to shine. Take that in mind: Their sound completely changes and depends from the components. And now we are talking about different versions???

Whatever you said there... right.

But... you see... it simply makes no difference whether there is an "old" version vs "new" version, or whether they sound different.

You just have to make sure you get the Senns with the white/silver fabric covering the baffles... and... you may be certain you'll have GREAT sounding phones - period! The rest doesn't matter.

Unless... as I said below... you actually want the "veiled," dark, laid-back, slow sound of the HD650s with the black silk fabric covering their baffles.

Now isn't just a lot easier to say... get the "new" version... they sound GREAT?

Aug 3, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #494 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gradofan2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whatever you said there... right.

But... you see... it simply makes no difference whether there is an "old" version vs "new" version, or whether they sound different.

You just have to make sure you get the Senns with the white/silver fabric covering the baffles... and... you may be certain you'll have GREAT sounding phones - period! The rest doesn't matter.

Unless... as I said below... you actually want the "veiled," dark, laid-back, slow sound of the HD650s with the black silk fabric covering their baffles.

Now isn't just a lot easier to say... get the "new" version... they sound GREAT?

I didn’t want to start an argue with you, but YES maybe some people here want the dark and laid back sound of the first version. Who are you to judge what someone wants. You claim that Sennheiser, for more than two years from their first release of 650's untill they decide to change the internal, was selling crappy headphones. You claim that all the reviews about 650 before 2007 that were based on the old version were biased. All people here that bought the old headphones 2 years ago were listenning to crappy sound. Man... honestly.. what are you talking about? So... you made your point, I made mine.

On the other hand, I have read MANY posts claiming that the sound is identical. I didn’t want to dispute your claims in my previews posts but.. hey mate.. you really act like you have discovered America... No you just have an opinion about the matter that it is absolutely yours. If you want to gain some respect here by trying to convince anyone about differences between versions and also increase your post rate, then keep on... I am not going to follow you. It seems you have plenty of time to spend in this thread trying to help people avoiding this old evil black version that sticks the headphone plug in their a... while they are listening to music. Its not my business... have fun..

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #495 of 46,499
Quote:

Originally Posted by ironeisnna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn’t want to start an argue with you, but YES maybe some people here want the dark and laid back sound of the first version. Who are you to judge what someone wants. You made your point, I made mine.

On the other hand, I have read MANY posts claiming that the sound is identical. I didn’t want to dispute your claims in my previews posts but.. hey mate.. you really act like you have discovered America... No you just have an opinion about the matter that it is absolutely yours. If you want to gain some respect here by trying to convince anyone about differences between versions and also increase your post rate, then keep on... I am not going to follow you. It seems you have plenty of time to spend in this thread trying to help people avoiding this old evil black version that sticks the headphone plug in their a... while they are listening to music. Its not my business... have fun..

Then don't. I couldn't care less about your opinion vs my opinion - that's totally irrelevant in this matter.

It seems like "logic" eludes you!

As I said... "one more time"... IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE - none at all!

All you really need do... is make sure you get the Senns with the white/silver colored fabric covering the driver baffles - and you're certain to get... a GREAT SOUNDING SET OF PHONES!

And... as I also said... get the Senns with the black silk fabric covering the driver baffles - if you like the "veiled," dark, slow, laid-back sound of the "older" Senns.

There now... can you understand that any better? No mention of "old" version, or "new" version.

Its not only clear and easily understood... but... it is impeccably "logical."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back