Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 30, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #46,366 of 46,499
I find the elex quite different to the whole 6 series.

I understand that someone that loves the 6 series signature cannot be offended by the tonality of the elex (because there is nothing to be offended) but i could not see the elex as a super 650 as advertised from drop even from miles away.

For me timbre and tonality goes in favour of the 6 series dynamics to the elex. Elex have a wow factor that after sometime it diminishes itself the 6 series is the beloved darling which always return to.
I haven't heard the Elex but heard the Elear (which was also touted as a super HD 650), sounded nothing like the HD 6xx series at all. I've only heard one headphone that gets close to the HD 6xx family sound signature that isn't a Sennheiser and that's the R70x, they're some differences of course but it's the closest thing I've heard in terms of tonality and timbre.

The HD 6xx series has the edge in terms of midrange nuance and vocal detail whereas the R70x imho has an even more neutral response, better perceived bass extension (excluding the 660S2), and much better imaging. Not sure on how I perceive their scaling compared to the HD 6xx series as I haven't heard them on a truly high end system. I don't think I like them as much as my HD 660S2, but I do like them more than my HD 660S and HD 650. Don't currently own a HD 600.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #46,367 of 46,499
I have Focal Clear OG, and I still reach for HD600 often. Focal is technically superior in many aspects, while its energetic nature is quite different to HD600. In a casual listening session I might take HD600 for its more natural presentation, rather than a in-your-face sound that forces attention. I don't mind the smaller soundstage, but I do wish HD600 have better imaging. However, there are many music that are not constructed on image precision, and HD600 has always been relevant to me through out the time.

HD600/650/580 are known for scaling, while I feel my Clear OG is more amp picky. It's rather easy to get a glaring sound on this.

I owned a HD650, exchanged for a second pair of HD600 as I left my first pair at hometown. To me the difference between HD650 and HD600 is more than subtle. HD650 wasn't bad, but just at the time I needed a familiar sound to reference on for my audio task.
Very good analysis.

For me focal and sennheiser 6## complement well its other. Definitely can be justified to have both.

Dec 31, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #46,368 of 46,499
I haven't heard the Elex but heard the Elear (which was also touted as a super HD 650), sounded nothing like the HD 6xx series at all. I've only heard one headphone that gets close to the HD 6xx family sound signature that isn't a Sennheiser and that's the R70x, they're some differences of course but it's the closest thing I've heard in terms of tonality and timbre.

The HD 6xx series has the edge in terms of midrange nuance and vocal detail whereas the R70x imho has an even more neutral response, better perceived bass extension (excluding the 660S2), and much better imaging. Not sure on how I perceive their scaling compared to the HD 6xx series as I haven't heard them on a truly high end system. I don't think I like them as much as my HD 660S2, but I do like them more than my HD 660S and HD 650. Don't currently own a HD 600.
Yes i agree. The super HD 650 marketing statement can be interpreted along these lines: someone that likes the tonality of 650 cannot be offended by elex.

But are very different in terms of timbre and dynamics. I like both.

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #46,369 of 46,499

The R70x has a 3khz edge that kills my enjoyment with them on less than stellar recorded tracks..

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #46,370 of 46,499
The R70x has a 3khz edge that kills my enjoyment with them on less than stellar recorded tracks..
That’s interesting because I never once found them bothersome in that area, but it's a complaint I heard mentioned. My ears are completely at ease with the R70x. But it’s like with the HD 600 and HD 650 some find their upper mids too shouty and others don’t. It was a common enough complaint they toned down the upper mids on the 660S/660S2. Though possibly a bit too much as I find the 660S/S2 a touch muted in that region.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 6:06 PM Post #46,372 of 46,499
Custom Cans UK cnc backweight modification kit for HD6XX. To modify further, remove driver-side foam, ear-side foam, replace ear-side foam with fine mesh, leave the cnc backweight ‘doughnut hole’ unfilled. See below:6683BF7C-6125-40D7-A030-76D60CEB336C.jpeg
Sorry for the massive thread bump here, @jonathan c , but I just did the chrome/copper ring mod from Custom Cans for my HD 6XX.

Interested in possibly replacing ear cup foam with mesh, as you did. Where did you source that mesh?

Thanks.

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #46,373 of 46,499
Sorry for the massive thread bump here, @jonathan c , but I just did the chrome/copper ring mod from Custom Cans for my HD 6XX.

Interested in possibly replacing ear cup foam with mesh, as you did. Where did you source that mesh?

Thanks.
Wow, it's strangely quiet in this thread...
I believe the mesh is organza that he got at a crafts store. I tried looking at my local Michael's but couldn't find any. Then my wife happened to get a gift from work that came in an organza sack. Perfect. My daughter's princess dresses would also make good donors if I'm in the mood for pink and purple, but I'm pretty sure any princess would notice her dresses looking more ragged than usual.

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #46,374 of 46,499
I believe the mesh is organza that he got at a crafts store. I tried looking at my local Michael's but couldn't find any. Then my wife happened to get a gift from work that came in an organza sack. Perfect. My daughter's princess dresses would also make good donors if I'm in the mood for pink and purple, but I'm pretty sure any princess would notice her dresses looking more ragged than usual.
Are there any stores in 'Hither, Thither, Yon'? Do you have to 'blind buy' all your audio stuff? 😳🤣

Jan 15, 2024 at 11:19 PM Post #46,375 of 46,499

Thanks.
It was Michael's. It looks like 'funeral veil' material 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Jan 16, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #46,378 of 46,499
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #46,379 of 46,499
You're indicating here that the organza mesh is just a fairytale of it making a difference to the sound, but I'll suggest you try it on and measure it.

Jan 16, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #46,380 of 46,499
You're indicating here that the organza mesh is just a fairytale of it making a difference to the sound, but I'll suggest you try it on and measure it.
More majickal faerie dust than fairytale, methinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back