Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #46,276 of 46,505
Stick with stock. Can't go wrong. Bought dekoni for my elex. Never again. Pads were slightly off center sound was inferior.
I bought mine with Dekoni on them, so I'll have to buy stock pads, which is why I'm curious to what difference to expect :)

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #46,277 of 46,505
I bought mine with Dekoni on them, so I'll have to buy stock pads, which is why I'm curious to what difference to expect :)
If there was one brand that required stock pads its sennheiser. Thats assuming you prefer sennheiser house sound. As sennheiser guru " metal 571" stated many times. My 6xx made a night and day difference when i replaced used pads. ie from dull lifeless sound to very vibrant with plenty of sparkle.

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #46,278 of 46,505
Stick with stock. Can't go wrong. Bought dekoni for my elex. Never again. Pads were slightly off center sound was inferior.
If there was one brand that required stock pads its sennheiser. Thats assuming you prefer sennheiser house sound. As sennheiser guru " metal 571" stated many times. My 6xx made a night and day difference when i replaced used pads. ie from dull lifeless sound to very vibrant with plenty of sparkle.
Concur with @Plieb I too prefer Sennheiser stock pads. @Lindholdt I think you might be in for a pleasant surprise... and no exaggeration there either.

Nov 28, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #46,279 of 46,505
Well, that's an easy decision then. Thank you guys 👍

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #46,280 of 46,505
To add a little variety to the opinions above, I use Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin on mine and I think they sound better than the stock pads. In my view you lose none of the natural timbre and you get a fuller sound. It's all about what your own ears tell you.

Sounds like you'll be able to evaluate between the two. Come back and tell us what you think.

Nov 28, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #46,281 of 46,505
To add a little variety to the opinions above, I use Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin on mine and I think they sound better than the stock pads. In my view you lose none of the natural timbre and you get a fuller sound. It's all about what your own ears tell you.

Sounds like you'll be able to evaluate between the two. Come back and tell us what you think.
Great to hear a different opinion, thank you for sharing it. 👍
And yes, the plan is to order the stock ones and test them out over the holiday season

Nov 28, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #46,282 of 46,505
Great to hear a different opinion, thank you for sharing it. 👍
And yes, the plan is to order the stock ones and test them out over the holiday season
Order stock ones the new version if possible. Probably is very difficult to find the old ones nowadays but you never know.

This is a personal preference but i would never consider anything than velour even if i needed to make a small sacrifice in sound quality.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #46,283 of 46,505
The pads on my just purchased hd600 are definitely thicker and a bit firmer than the pads of a few years ago. So yes they are a bit different. Also the pads on my recently discontinued 660s are also a bit different in that they have this slightly elliptical shape and give you a bit more room for your ears.
All are great.
Btw i bought new genuine sennheiser pads from Amazon about a year ago and they are the older version but still great. Sennheiser was out of stock back then.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #46,284 of 46,505
Simple question, is there is headphone higher up the chain that people conclusively agree has a better timbre & tonality than the HD6xx/650/600? I've been through all my headphones again recently and none of them compete with the HD6XX in this area, not even the HD800S, what headphone do you guys recommend if you want a higher end version of the HD6XX/650/600?

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #46,285 of 46,505
Simple question, is there is headphone higher up the chain that people conclusively agree has a better timbre & tonality than the HD6xx/650/600? I've been through all my headphones again recently and none of them compete with the HD6XX in this area, not even the HD800S, what headphone do you guys recommend if you want a higher end version of the HD6XX/650/600?
I love my 6xx headphones but like my hd800 better.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #46,286 of 46,505
I love my 6xx headphones but like my hd800 better.
The HD800/S is better in so many ways, but it still doesn't quite match the Timbre/Tonality of the HD6XX imo, that is my drug.

Dec 9, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #46,287 of 46,505
The HD800/S is better in so many ways, but it still doesn't quite match the Timbre/Tonality of the HD6XX imo, that is my drug.
Timbre and tonality probably not. Not even the new guard.

Technicalities and dynamics yet. There is a trafe off with them from there upwards according to my opinion.

Also timbre and tonality is a personal matter. If you like the timbre and tonality of a headphone stick with your guns and do not be influenced by others or the lower price or the technology or whatever. This is your personal taste and you should be proud for it.

Dec 9, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #46,288 of 46,505
Of the cans I own or owned, the HD800S, LCD-3, Stax Lambdas are technically “better” in several ways, but not as enjoyable a listen over several days. And it’s true timbre of instruments and sounds that draws me in to the HD6 series. However, over the last year, the ZMF Aeolus has clicked that tonality box even more for me.

Dec 9, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #46,290 of 46,505
I'm not sure there is one, to be honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back