Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 7, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #46,171 of 46,512
You know, for the 650/6xx being such a complimented headphone, I was pretty letdown when I got to try a pair. I don't know if it's me not loving the house sound, but it just sounded boxed in. I definitely felt some of the warm mids come through, but man I just couldnt vibe with it.
It might have been the head amp you were using... the DAC... Or, they needed to be broken in.

If you lived near me I would invite you to my messy apartment and let you hear for yourself.

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #46,172 of 46,512
It might have been the head amp you were using... the DAC... Or, they needed to be broken in.

If you lived near me I would invite you to my messy apartment and let you hear for yourself.
I ended up running through both my schiit stack(classic magni/modi), and my little XDuoo TA-02 hybrid. I know folks say tubes make it shine, and maybe if I actually ended up getting a stronger tube setup I would have found what I was looking for on it.

Oct 7, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #46,173 of 46,512
I ended up running through both my schiit stack(classic magni/modi), and my little XDuoo TA-02 hybrid. I know folks say tubes make it shine, and maybe if I actually ended up getting a stronger tube setup I would have found what I was looking for on it.

I used to get (almost) in trouble when I sold audio, because my boss did not want me praising tubes to some customers. That was back in the 70's.
Solid state has come a long way since those days when tubes had the lead. Very good tube units sounded great.
But, I now use solid state exclusively. I found cabling cabling and AC conditioning makes a big difference. Back when tubes caught on
the interconnect cabling was inferior and caused distortions that tubes tamed down.

Getting a good/right set up from outlet to speakers is the key.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #46,174 of 46,512
You know, for the 650/6xx being such a complimented headphone, I was pretty letdown when I got to try a pair. I don't know if it's me not loving the house sound, but it just sounded boxed in. I definitely felt some of the warm mids come through, but man I just couldnt vibe with it.

Oct 8, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #46,175 of 46,512
Global warming, you might think it’s funny making fun of everything I say. Someday it will come back to you that is for sure.
Its not "Global" warming. Its "Lobal."

Like we have right and left lobes to our brain!

"Lobal warming" for a headphone forum name is very clever! :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #46,176 of 46,512
so what sort of music would sound good on a pair of HD6xx?

I was listening on some EDM(hardstyle/trance) music on the Z1Rs and I love what I'm hearing. I moved to the HD6xx and I feel it's a downgrade. I'm listening to some classical concerto right now and I feel I've heard better sound.

(just moved to a pair of Focal clears and subjectively, it sounds better/more enjoyable)

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #46,178 of 46,512

I was listening on some EDM(hardstyle/trance) music on the Z1Rs and I love what I'm hearing. I moved to the HD6xx and I feel it's a downgrade. I'm listening to some classical concerto right now and I feel I've heard better sound.

(just moved to a pair of Focal clears and subjectively, it sounds better/more enjoyable)

So...owning all three of these, I can say I enjoy them all and they all get playing time!
Beyond that, it's fair to say that one might expect $1500 cans to outperform $200 cans...yes?

In the end, everybody has different sonic preferences and I'm sure some folks might like the Senns more than the Sonys and the Focals.
To each his/her own :beerchug:

My hope for HeadFiers is that they are focusing on enjoying the music and not stressing about the equipment differences.

FWIW, my HD6XXs are one of my top 'Shuffle' headphones...meaning I can hook them up to my system and hit shuffle enjoying them for hours across many genres.

Oct 11, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #46,179 of 46,512
My hope for HeadFiers is that they are focusing on enjoying the music and not stressing** about the equipment differences.
** true ….. however, listening to, reading about / writing about, posting pix / seeing pix of all the gear (and tubes) is 🤪 fun!

Oct 12, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #46,180 of 46,512
Beyond that, it's fair to say that one might expect $1500 cans to outperform $200 cans...yes?
the hd650 (which is the same as the HD6xx from I've read) are at the top of the class when it came out (and that's nothing to do with their selling price)

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #46,181 of 46,512

the Clears shouldsound much better, they cost over five times the price

Oct 12, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #46,182 of 46,512
the hd650 (which is the same as the HD6xx from I've read) are at the top of the class when it came out (and that's nothing to do with their selling price)

Yeah...not sure I'm getting your point but it can take me a while at times :wink:

Anyway, I've owned the HD650 (sold it...dumb mistake!) and then the HD6XX (won't ever sell it...don't repeat dumb mistakes!)
The 6XXs are a much better value (imo) at the $179 I paid for them than the 650s were for $315. Aside...they're the same to my hearing

Audio is funny regarding value proposition though. Consumers will pay big $$$$ for very incremental (often unperceivable) 'improvements' in their equipment.

My point was that different people appreciate different cans for different reasons -- what makes this hobby so cool. :beerchug:
Guarantee you there are people on HeadFi that like the Senn 6 series cans better than the Focals & Sonys.

Related example -- I owned HD800s at the same time I owned the 650s. The 650s got more playing time than the 800s. I sold the 800s at the same time I sold the 650s. Never regretted selling the 800s; repurchased the 650s (as 6XXs) and made a vow to myself to never sell them again.

For me, I like all three of them...appreciating them in different ways. To my and many others thinking, there's no 'one right answer' for Personal Audio...maybe that's why it's called 'Personal' :smirk:

In the end, hopefully people are finding a way to make them(selves) smile; ain't so hard to do if they know how... :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 9:09 AM Post #46,183 of 46,512
Every time I put the 6xx back on, I wonder why I have any other headphones. Its always an "ahhhh" moment, where I think to myself "this is all I really need".

I've been on a bit of a planar/ Hifiman kick lately, having recently bought the Edition XS and then the Ananda Stealth. Been comparing and analyzing them along with the Sundara a bunch recently. Last night I decided to just throw the HD6xx on as a reference point, and I was immediately impressed all over again. I can't even really describe in fancy audiophile terms why, but they just sound right.

With the HD650 being on sale recently, I can get a pair through work for $299. I've been debating doing it, just to have a genuine version of an all time great.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #46,184 of 46,512
Every time I put the 6xx back on, I wonder why I have any other headphones. Its always an "ahhhh" moment, where I think to myself "this is all I really need".

I've been on a bit of a planar/ Hifiman kick lately, having recently bought the Edition XS and then the Ananda Stealth. Been comparing and analyzing them along with the Sundara a bunch recently. Last night I decided to just throw the HD6xx on as a reference point, and I was immediately impressed all over again. I can't even really describe in fancy audiophile terms why, but they just sound right.
… the joy of rediscovery … ☺️ … from owning multiple headphones … ✅

Oct 13, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #46,185 of 46,512

With the HD650 being on sale recently, I can get a pair through work for $299. I've been debating doing it, just to have a genuine version of an all time great.
Honestly imho it has to do with their mids and consistent effortlessness they have to their sound regardless of the system. The HD 650’s and HD 600’s midrange and timbre are class leading and honestly few headphones do it better. That’s one reason why they have such a claim to fame regardless of their weaknesses.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back