Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #46,187 of 46,533
I ended up running through both my schiit stack(classic magni/modi), and my little XDuoo TA-02 hybrid. I know folks say tubes make it shine, and maybe if I actually ended up getting a stronger tube setup I would have found what I was looking for on it.
I run my 6XX's through my Schiit stack too ( Heresy, Vali 2++, Loki Mini and Modi Multibit 2 ). They sound fine but where they sound just a bit better is the Vali 2 ++ with a WE 396A tube. I think to myself as I listen that it sounds pretty damn good.

Oct 13, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #46,188 of 46,533
Maybe no other headphone can do it better...
I’ve heard a few that do it better and I own one I find does it better (Beyer DT 480) but it's also modded and it's vintage. It's hard to express how effortless, detailed, engrossing, and organic that headphones mids are. The HD 600 and HD 650 are the closest I've heard on any reasonably priced headphone.

These two headphones are basically my midrange/vocal kings.
IMG_6622.jpeg

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #46,189 of 46,533
Every time I put the 6xx back on, I wonder why I have any other headphones. Its always an "ahhhh" moment, where I think to myself "this is all I really need".

I've been on a bit of a planar/ Hifiman kick lately, having recently bought the Edition XS and then the Ananda Stealth. Been comparing and analyzing them along with the Sundara a bunch recently. Last night I decided to just throw the HD6xx on as a reference point, and I was immediately impressed all over again. I can't even really describe in fancy audiophile terms why, but they just sound right.

With the HD650 being on sale recently, I can get a pair through work for $299. I've been debating doing it, just to have a genuine version of an all time great.
That's been my trip lately as well. Have owned the Deva wireless for a good while now and recently bought the 6XX. Been thinking to move up in planar, but man I'm leaning hard into Sennheiser now. They just bring it all home for me. Shooting for a 660S2 next. Hifiman who?

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #46,190 of 46,533
That's been my trip lately as well. Have owned the Deva wireless for a good while now and recently bought the 6XX. Been thinking to move up in planar, but man I'm leaning hard into Sennheiser now. They just bring it all home for me. Shooting for a 660S2 next. Hifiman who?
HD6XX or HD600 and HD660s2 complement each other very well...i believe you will not regret it...planar what???

Oct 14, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #46,191 of 46,533
I wrote in the HD600 thread that the only product that I sold and ever regretted enough to repurchase was a Citizen BN00004H dive watch. I finally acknowledged the same level of regret for selling my HD650, so I bought an HD600. Now the HD600 is a fine headphone in its own right, but I still craved that HD650 midrange as a change of pace to my HD800S.

So when I saw a smokin' deal on an HD6XX on eBay, I snagged it. It has been a few years since I sold the 650, but I immediately remembered why I loved it so much. But in the meantime, my system evolved substantially upstream. So now I am also floored at how well the 6XX scales.

It is still missing sub bass, and its soundstage is noticeably smaller than my HD800S, but driven by my Violectric's high voltage there is no trace of "Sennheiser veil".

It seems silly to drive a headphone that cost me barely over a hundred dollars used, with a stack of gear costing twenty five times its cost. But it is remarkable how well the 6XX keep up and gives up so little in terms performance.

Wow - you all are right!

Oct 18, 2023 at 10:35 AM Post #46,192 of 46,533
I know this has been asked many times over the years but there does not seem to be any after-market pads that sound the same as the sennheiser ones and last longer, i seem to be getting through pads every 18 months (more or less daily use for an hour or so) and am looking for ones that sound the same but last longer.

Any ideas as of late 2023?

d

Oct 18, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #46,193 of 46,533
I know this has been asked many times over the years but there does not seem to be any after-market pads that sound the same as the sennheiser ones and last longer, i seem to be getting through pads every 18 months (more or less daily use for an hour or so) and am looking for ones that sound the same but last longer.

d
18 months isn’t that bad 🤷🏻‍♂️. You might: (i) periodically clean the pads with a cloth dampened with cold water / dish soap, (ii) rotate the earpads 180 degrees within the earcups to extend the earpad life.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #46,194 of 46,533

d
I have a Yaxi hybrid pad, can't hear the difference

Oct 23, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #46,195 of 46,533
This experiment wasnt done with the utmost care (no average positioning measurements).

HD650 stock VS spidercage removed.jpg

^ fresh 2023 version pads, EARS

Surely less damping will mean higher bass distortion but surely its a trade-off too?

The 3kHz shout with HD650 has always been my biggest gripe, removing spider cage (and it's foam) basically reduces 3kHz relative to other parts of frequency response. And in general, I prefer less acoustic impedance on headphones due to perceived increase in bass dynamics so this mod has a lot of win potential for me. Subjectively, tonality sounds improved and sorta faultless upon first impressions to my schiit ears, and now wondering if HD600 is preferable overall with same mod (perhaps cleaner bass). Ordered HD600!

I got the idea to do this mod because ime less acoustic impedance means more mid-bass amplitude and less 2-3kHz. I was keeping HD650 stock as a reference tool but got bored of that so thought why not mod.

IMG_1099.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #46,196 of 46,533

d
Why? the cost of new ones after 18 months is negligible.

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:43 PM Post #46,197 of 46,533
Why? the cost of new ones after 18 months is negligible.
18 months is 547 days, or 547 hours of listening (1 hour per day). I'm not sure how long Senn 6xx pads are supposed to last. Does anyone have an idea? Does Sennheiser have any guidelines for it's customers about how frequently to change the pads?

Oct 24, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #46,198 of 46,533
This experiment wasnt done with the utmost care (no average positioning measurements).

HD650 stock VS spidercage removed.jpg
^ fresh 2023 version pads, EARS

Surely less damping will mean higher bass distortion but surely its a trade-off too?

The 3kHz shout with HD650 has always been my biggest gripe, removing spider cage (and it's foam) basically reduces 3kHz relative to other parts of frequency response. And in general, I prefer less acoustic impedance on headphones due to perceived increase in bass dynamics so this mod has a lot of win potential for me. Subjectively, tonality sounds improved and sorta faultless upon first impressions to my schiit ears, and now wondering if HD600 is preferable overall with same mod (perhaps cleaner bass). Ordered HD600!

I got the idea to do this mod because ime less acoustic impedance means more mid-bass amplitude and less 2-3kHz. I was keeping HD650 stock as a reference tool but got bored of that so thought why not mod.

IMG_1099.jpeg
To clarify, you installed the CC mod and removed the spider cage?

Oct 24, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #46,200 of 46,533
To increase HD650 highs I tried removing the part of the silver metal baffle filter that covers the edges of the drivers. Didnt go so well… Too difficult to simply cut with a knife, so accidentally ended up pushing the entire silver material off in one piece (its glued on).

IMG_1113.jpeg

IMG_1115.jpeg

^ back-side after putting back together without baffle filter

Now I am experimenting with replacement baffle material… Good news though, there is more highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back