Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Sep 14, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #46,051 of 46,564
Which one has fuller lower mids and smoother uppermids and highs between HD650 and Cal1H?
Fuller lower mids the Cal1H. Smoother upper mids and treble that honestly depends on the amp and system. On the Lake People G111 MKII (still new so still need to spend more time with it) I think I’ll give the slight edge to the Cal1H but on say an Schiit Asgard 3 and many other amps I tried, the HD 650. The Cal1H’s upper mids are quite sensitive to amplification.

I find the G111 MKII an inherently smoother more refined sounding amp than the Asgard 3. The Asgard 3 is warmer but not quite as refined and smooth. Both headphones sound smoother on the G111.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #46,052 of 46,564
Can I get some opinions on prices for used 6XX?

I understand that the 6XX is sold on Drop.com for $199 brand new. As I'm outside the US, there would be an extra $20 for shipping and an extra 10% of the total for customs/duties, so the grand total on my end would come out to around $242.

Looking around used posts in my part of the world, I'm seeing a lot of secondhand sets for around $140-$145 after currency conversions. One person claims that they got their pair shortly after the initial release, but used it only ten times and kept it in the included box since then, but otherwise it still functions as expected. Another person said they got theirs thirdhand, but that there is very little wear and tear. Posts with boxes show the old Massdrop logo instead of the current Drop logo.

Overall a good deal, despite how long people may have had it?

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #46,054 of 46,564

I understand that the 6XX is sold on Drop.com for $199 brand new. As I'm outside the US, there would be an extra $20 for shipping and an extra 10% of the total for customs/duties, so the grand total on my end would come out to around $242.

Looking around used posts in my part of the world, I'm seeing a lot of secondhand sets for around $140-$145 after currency conversions. One person claims that they got their pair shortly after the initial release, but used it only ten times and kept it in the included box since then, but otherwise it still functions as expected. Another person said they got theirs thirdhand, but that there is very little wear and tear. Posts with boxes show the old Massdrop logo instead of the current Drop logo.

I bought a brand new one last week from Drop and it was in the "old" Massdrop box.

YMMW.

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #46,055 of 46,564
You'll probably have to pay your local customs/VAT also on used ones, so figure that in your considerations. (and do the sellers charge for the shipping?)
Oh, these are all local private sellers. Not shops, so there are no customs/VAT to pay.

A couple of those posts are in my city, so I'd basically pay bus fare to and fro. A couple posts are in a different city, so I'd pay about an extra $3-5 for shipping.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #46,056 of 46,564

I consider the HD 650/6XX to be underpriced at $200. $145 for like new is an insane steal, in my book. Buy them quick, before somebody else does!

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #46,057 of 46,564
I consider the HD 650/6XX to be underpriced at $200. $145 for like new is an insane steal, in my book. Buy them quick, before somebody else does!
Yeah, $200 or under for a brand new pair is a steal for these IMO.

Sep 15, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #46,058 of 46,564
The 650/crack combo has been a top 3 setup for me now for 15 years. That lush natural tone gives me that schoolboy crush feeling every time. I gets gobs of detail, but they are able to do it without ever sounding harsh or strident. This setup for me is, in a word, captivating. It's the very reason that I listen to music and remain in the hobby.

Forgot to add, that red base RCA driver tube is what unlocked rainbows and unicorns for me. The beauty of the tone is indescribable.

Attachments

• crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 15, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #46,059 of 46,564
Oh, these are all local private sellers. Not shops, so there are no customs/VAT to pay.

A couple of those posts are in my city, so I'd basically pay bus fare to and fro. A couple posts are in a different city, so I'd pay about an extra $3-5 for shipping.
Oh, if you can get it locally, it's a no-brainer. You can check it out before forking out the money, if it's really in the shape it's advertised.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #46,060 of 46,564
To my understanding, the 6XX is borderline identical compared to the 650. I’m at a shop right now demoing the 650. What kinds of differences can I expect with the 6XX other than the visual ones like color?

So far I like the closed-back-like clamp on these. no idea if they can or should be tighter since these are store units and who knows how many times they’ve been worn.

Sep 15, 2023 at 10:49 PM Post #46,061 of 46,564
To my understanding, the 6XX is borderline identical compared to the 650. I’m at a shop right now demoing the 650. What kinds of differences can I expect with the 6XX other than the visual ones like color?

So far I like the closed-back-like clamp on these. no idea if they can or should be tighter since these are store units and who knows how many times they’ve been worn.
If made around the same time and similar pad wear/clamp reduction they should basically be identical. Maybe some tolerance differences but not sure if it will have much if any impact on the sound. New HD 650’s and new 6XX’s should have the refreshed pads so eliminates the sonic changes the pad refresh did. If one is older than a couple years it will likely have the old style pads and will sound a little different.

If you get a used one you may want to get new pads sometime down the road depending on the amount of wear they have and if they don’t sound like you hope. Some people like how they sound with worn pads more than fresh pads. And some may prefer the sound of the old pads. These headphones sound can be affected a lot by pad wear is why I’m mentioning it.

When the pads are taken off the headphone new pads will have a clear plastic ring on the rear whereas it’s matte black plastic on the old pads. I am curious about the pad wear difference between new and old pads as I think I recall one change was the new pads foam was supposed to keep their shape better than the old style which likely increases their lifespan and is likely less affected sonically by wear if true. *So far it seems true as my current pairs are retaining their pad shape and firmness better than I recall my pairs with old pads did.

1694833568806.jpeg

Physically the HD 650 feels more premium in the hand than the HD 6XX, 600 (new ones feels less premium than the old granite finished ones), HD 660S/S2. This is due to the painted mold, what feels like a thicker grill, and the glossy plastic used on the earcups (matte plastic on other HD 6xx headphones).

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #46,062 of 46,564
If made around the same time and similar pad wear/clamp reduction they should basically be identical. Maybe some tolerance differences but not sure if it will have much if any impact on the sound. New HD 650’s and new 6XX’s should have the refreshed pads so eliminates the sonic changes the pad refresh did. If one is older than a couple years it will likely have the old style pads and will sound a little different.

If you get a used one you may want to get new pads sometime down the road depending on the amount of wear they have and if they don’t sound like you hope. Some people like how they sound with worn pads more than fresh pads. And some may prefer the sound of the old pads. These headphones sound can be affected a lot by pad wear is why I’m mentioning it.

When the pads are taken off the headphone new pads will have a clear plastic ring on the rear whereas it’s matte black plastic on the old pads. I am curious about the pad wear difference between new and old pads as I think I recall one change was the new pads foam was supposed to keep their shape better than the old style which likely increases their lifespan and is likely less affected sonically by wear if true. *So far it seems true as my current pairs are retaining their pad shape and firmness better than I recall my pairs with old pads did.

Physically the HD 650 feels more premium in the hand than the HD 6XX, 600 (new ones feels less premium than the old granite finished ones), HD 660S/S2. This is due to the painted mold, what feels like a thicker grill, and the glossy plastic used on the earcups (matte plastic on other HD 6xx headphones).
I’ve seen the granite finish maybe once or twice in person, so I don’t think I’ll really notice anything different as far as hand feel is concerned.

I will say, though, that after testing the new 650 at a shop earlier today, I definitely notice a difference in the frame’s firmness compared to the 598 that I have. I haven’t tried a lot of over-ears, but I appreciate that the 650 clamps like a closed back on my head. I imagine the 6XX should have similar firmness if complaints about tightness I’ve seen online are anything to go by.

Sep 17, 2023 at 2:47 AM Post #46,064 of 46,564
Are paddings compatible between the 650 and 6XX?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back