Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #45,946 of 46,514
Just to add, I get the right balance with the CC mod with the foam removed behind the pads, and the foam insert that's got a hole in it. Use a Mojo 2 and drop the bass shelf 1 and lift the mids 1
Yeah i also found that this combination works best.

Jun 30, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #45,948 of 46,514
3 denier tights replacing the foam

Attachments

• PXL_20230630_165603252.jpg
    PXL_20230630_165603252.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 1, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #45,949 of 46,514
It was. No more.
I just purchased another pair of HD650’s (I originally had the 650’s then got the 800’s sold those and the 650’s then got the 700’s but the 700’s and 800’s sucked so I got the 650’s again) They have virtually no packaging it’s nuts! I bought a pair of 560S’ at the same time and they have similar packaging to a pair of HD598’s I had. But the HD650’s I had in the day came with a nice solid box with a thin paperboard outer box. The new HD650’s come in a super compact paperboard box smaller than the HD560S’ box! The HD650s seem beefier now a little more robust. They changed the casting for them, they’re more squared off on the cross section less rounded.

Jul 14, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #45,951 of 46,514
Picked up another pair of 6XX. Senny is making them in Ireland again I guess. They are phenomenal.

I really don't know what it is but 6XX never sounds like 650 to me. It always sounds a tad clearer and seems to image better. Maybe I'm imagining this but I have found this to be the impression I get after owning multiple pairs over the years of each HP.
Can you expand on the differences you hear?

I can think of a few reasons why this may be. Possibly brand new pads vs ones that are worn in, and also the 6xx has the old mold vs the newer more angular mold of the new model 6 series, which could possibly cause a difference in how the cups sit on your head?

Sennheiser themselves have said several times that 6xx is a 650 with different paint. I've still always been curious to own a legit 650 lol.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:16 AM Post #45,952 of 46,514
Is HD 6XX/650 a good pair with 560s?
I know these sound different, but do they contrast enough to pair together? currently have a 560s but want something warmer & easier to listen to that's not too bassy, thanks

Jul 15, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #45,953 of 46,514
Is HD 6XX/650 a good pair with 560s?
I know these sound different, but do they contrast enough to pair together? currently have a 560s but want something warmer & easier to listen to that's not too bassy, thanks
Sounds perfect for what you're looking for. They do pair very well, with the 560s being neutral leaning on bright with a wider sound stage, and the 6xx smooth and warm with a more intimate sound stage.

Jul 15, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #45,954 of 46,514
Sounds perfect for what you're looking for. They do pair very well, with the 560s being neutral leaning on bright with a wider sound stage, and the 6xx smooth and warm with a more intimate sound stage.
yeah I found a really good deal on one so might bite the bullet. One thing I like about Senns is that their replacement pads are cheaper & a lot easier to buy compared to other brands, some beyerdynamics pads I saw were like half the price of the headphones yikes

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #45,955 of 46,514
Does anyone use the ZMF perforated lambskin pads along with the Custom Cans copper mass-loading mod? I've been using the ZMF pads and want to get the Custom Cans mod but want to first make sure that it would have the same or similar effect on the sound as it would if I were using the stock pads.

Jul 19, 2023 at 1:36 PM Post #45,956 of 46,514
Does anyone use the ZMF perforated lambskin pads along with the Custom Cans copper mass-loading mod? I've been using the ZMF pads and want to get the Custom Cans mod but want to first make sure that it would have the same or similar effect on the sound as it would if I were using the stock pads.
I use the ZMF suede sub pads and CC mod and it's great.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #45,957 of 46,514
I think I just had an epiphany. The 6XX is the only headphone, let alone item that I possess that I would go out and buy the very next day without hesitation in the very unlikely event it broke.

No other headphone has taken me like this one. I am so married to the presentation and vocal purity as much as I am the shape and comfort of the headphone, to the extent I'm starting to hypothesize that these aural characteristics are perhaps heavily associated with the cup shape. Which leads me to my next question, do you believe there is innate quality to the sound of any Sennheiser headphone that follows this shape? Whether that be something of the 5, 6 or 7 series? I only ask because that would give me a lot of motivation to get a product I've been wanting to try for a long time, the 660. I do believe cup design has a profound impact on radial patterns of a headphone that do drastically change the perceived response which is not reflected in a 1-dimensional FR analysis, not unlike how speakers have a wildly differing ability to radiate uncoloured sound throughout a wide range of angles.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #45,958 of 46,514
I think I just had an epiphany. The 6XX is the only headphone, let alone item that I possess that I would go out and buy the very next day without hesitation in the very unlikely event it broke.

No other headphone has taken me like this one. I am so married to the presentation and vocal purity as much as I am the shape and comfort of the headphone, to the extent I'm starting to hypothesize that these aural characteristics are perhaps heavily associated with the cup shape. Which leads me to my next question, do you believe there is innate quality to the sound of any Sennheiser headphone that follows this shape? Whether that be something of the 5, 6 or 7 series? I only ask because that would give me a lot of motivation to get a product I've been wanting to try for a long time, the 660. I do believe cup design has a profound impact on radial patterns of a headphone that do drastically change the perceived response which is not reflected in a 1-dimensional FR analysis, not unlike how speakers have a wildly differing ability to radiate uncoloured sound throughout a wide range of angles.
Well, I just bought them recently, and you took the words right out of my mouth. They are a stupendous bargain for the sound you get, and I have completely forgotten my other headphones in the 2 weeks I've had these. What you postulate could very well be plausible, and I too await answers to your question. Enjoy.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #45,959 of 46,514

They really are incredible, so smooth and buttery but also detailed and textured, although apparently, the new ndh-30 is just like the 600 but with actual flat bass, so we might have a new king I dunno

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:23 AM Post #45,960 of 46,514
Great portals to the wide world of music:
DE73A22F-CC84-4848-AEC5-D10237546A88.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back