Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #45,931 of 46,553
Trying to switch low/hi gain on my Magni 3+ with 6XX and can't catch any difference. What exactly should I feel?
The impedance output seems to remain low on all settings, so I doubt there is a lot going on with the switch beside basic voltage gain. And if I'm correct on that guess, then the rule of thumb should be to use a low setting and switch up if your headphone doesn't get loud enough. That's it. Several engineers, including 2 who designed the amp I was asking about, suggested going with that by default.

I wish to bring to your attention that most people have never tested the sound change from gain switch properly, meaning the higher gain is always louder, rising faster when we turn the knob, so they can very well mistake low gain vs high gain with the "louder is better" feeling.
What @baskingshark described for low gain, matches well with how people would describe loud VS quieter. Probably pure coincidence ^_^.

Beside the rule of thumbs that I tend to follow because why not, I'm fairly convinced in practice that most of the time it doesn't matter for sound. Some settings will just be a PITA when turning the volume knob.

Amps where the gain is for input gain, amps where the high gain has very high impedance, or where the lower gain is a special last minute fix for sensitive IEMs because the amp sounded like garbage at the default setting(hiss like hell or distorts) into very low impedance, could require more considerations or cause extra sound differences. But I don't think your amp fits any of those scenarios.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #45,933 of 46,553
Just put the HD600 new pads on the HD650 cause I can't wait til ZMF takes 14 days to ship pads from IL to MO.
At first I really wanna hate them. I tried metal's eq to see how I'd like them and immediately turned it off. After switching artists into more mellow stuff, I started vibing with these. The 600s were hurting my ears a bit since I've been listening to music quite a bit and got forced to go to a Weezer concert, so they could use a break. These just hit the spot.

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:22 AM Post #45,934 of 46,553
Sennheiser 6xx vs Hifiman Edition xs
20230524_220720.jpg

I had a few days of and took some time to compare the 2 openback headphones i have at home at the moment.
These don't quite play in the same ballpark. although i know that the 6xx is half the price of the Edition xs, all mods on the 6xx and the fact that its brothers sell for around 400€/600€, make me think these could compete with each other.

I did all listening with the topping G5 in quite environment streaming via Qobuz from my phone.

6xx:
(Custom Cans Copper Kit, Memoryfoam Pads, upgrade copper 4.4mm Cable)
20230524_200815.jpg

Pros:
-Intimate
-Easy on the ear charakter
-Better vor quite listening dont need that much to come alife
-Good resolution in the midrande

Whit cc mod and new pads:
-More "full band" performance than before, better bass quality and quantity.
-Improved soundstage, more room to breath for each Instrument in the mix
-Can't confirm the 3 blob imaging, i get L/R, far L/R, high L/R, Center and even high Center (of cause when it is in the mix)
-Very comfee/secure fit

Cons:
-Trebble on high listening level can get shrill
-dosent always able to follow the mix when its getting really busy

Edition XS:
(With Dekoni Seepskin pads)
20230521_172003.jpg

Pros:
-Bigger soundscape
-Bass reaches deeper
-Bass impact
-Overall resolution and detail retrieval especially in the bass and trebble in comparisons
-Imaging is more precise, has more flow, is easyer to follow
-Can handle a lot of volume without getting fuzzy
-Good comfort if you don't move a lot

Cons:
-not a laid back sonic charaktere
-needs more power/gain to shine
-Fit, bit to less clamp, feels a bit lose on my head

Conclusions:
Sooo in the end I think i take.... bought!
I think there are simply enough difference that i want to keep bought for different reasons.
6xx for more Vocal / Acoustic music and the Edition XS form IDM / Rap

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #45,935 of 46,553
Sennheiser 6xx vs Hifiman Edition xs

I had a few days of and took some time to compare the 2 openback headphones i have at home at the moment.
These don't quite play in the same ballpark. although i know that the 6xx is half the price of the Edition xs, all mods on 6xx and the fact that ists brothers sell for around 400€/600€, make me think these could compete with each other.

I did all listening with the topping G5 in quite environment streaming via Qobuz from my phone.

6xx:
(Custom Cans Copper Kit, Memoryfoam Pads, upgrade copper 4.4mm Cable)

Pros:
-Intimate
-Easy on the ear charakter
-Better vor quite listening dont need that much to come alife
-Good resolution in the midrande

Whit cc mod and new pads:
-More full band than before, bass quality and quantity.
-Improved soundstage, more room to breath for each Instrument in the mix
-Can't confirm the 3 blob imaging, i get L/R, far L/R, high L/R, Center and even high Center (of cause when it is in the mix)
-Very comfee/secure fit

Cons:
-Trebble quality on high listening level can gets shrill
-dosent always able to follow the mix when it gets really busy

Edition XS:
(With Dekoni Seepskin pads)

Pros:
-Bigger soundscape
-Bass reaches deeper
-Bass impact
-Overall resolution and detail retrieval especially in the bass and trebble in comparisons
-Imaging is more precise, has more flow, is easyer to follow
-Can handle a lot of volume without getting fuzzy
-Good comfort if you don't move a lot

Cons:
-not a laid back charaktere
-needs more power/gain to shine
-Fit, bit to less clamp, feels a bit lose on my head

Conclusions:
Sooo in the end I think i take.... bought!
I think there are simply enough difference that i want to keep bought for different reasons.
6xx for more Vocal / Acoustic music and the Edition XS form IDM / Rap
That green really does something to my mind like I froze for a second looking at it, as if I was trying to access some memory, maybe it's a nostalgia TMNT vibe, I dunno but damn that's an amazing green. You could go full TMNT by painting the grill like the turtle's back.

It might be the shade of green and the finish on it, great looking cans!

What is the exact name or color number of that green?

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #45,936 of 46,553
That green really does something to my mind like I froze for a second looking at it, as if I was trying to access some memory, maybe it's a nostalgia TMNT vibe, I dunno but damn that's an amazing green. You could go full TMNT by painting the grill like the turtle's back.

It might be the shade of green and the finish on it, great looking cans!

What is the exact name or color number of that green?
Thanks a lot, yeah really dig the green too!
The turtle back grill idea is very cool.
And a purple stripe on the headband to donatelloing the crap out of it😂!
I would have to make a template out of adhesive film. And dont know how to do that reasonable.
But i keep that in mind!

Jun 29, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #45,938 of 46,553
I hope it is the same sound quality wise because otherwise I need to buy the 650 at some point.

The conventional wisdom says that are exactly the same sound quality wise and this is why the connected two separate threads in the past into one (this one). Also in the outside box from massdrop with the product details it writes HD650 clearly.

However one month ago one sennheiser sponsor answered twice in a similar comment in youtube saying/implying that the 6XX is not the same as the 650. When they mentioned to him that previous sponsors in the past ensuring otherwise and whether we should split this headfi thread again he immediately deleted his comments.

Nevetheless, from that moment he put some doubt in me.

I did not buy the 6XX because it was cheap as I paid taxes to be shipped in UK but because I liked the blue colour much more than the previous model. Back then around 2017 you could find the 600 and 650 from 200£ ro 250£ in amazon but did not like the original colour schemes (especially the 600).

The new version of HD650 and HD600 have better plastics and design IMO only the box is missing. For a reasonable difference in price I would choose them now instead just not to have any doubt in my head.

This is an interesting thread, a sub contractor who worked for Sennheiser discussed this, the 6xx and 650 are identical, just cheaper due to packaging etc

https://drop.com/talk/24232/whats-the-difference-between-the-hd6xx-and-the-hd650

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #45,940 of 46,553
This is an interesting thread, a sub contractor who worked for Sennheiser discussed this, the 6xx and 650 are identical, just cheaper due to packaging etc

https://drop.com/talk/24232/whats-the-difference-between-the-hd6xx-and-the-hd650
I knew that conversation but the guy that he replaced this sub contractor made the opposite comment in YouTube. That they are different. He deleted his comments later when probably understood the implications of what he said but he put some doubts on me already.

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #45,941 of 46,553
I've just sold 4 pairs of HiFIMan, I could not get comfy with then and just had various niggles, tried Custom Cans DT770 Pro and bass not for my liking now have the Custom Cans 6xx a d finally a headphone that fits well and has a sound profile I like. Tried 5 pairs to end up here
I also have the custom cans DT 770 + V3 Mod on hand. Really like the sound for a cosedback at that price, exciting but also balanced enough. I have to say that i am not very trebble sensitive, but get quickly listening fatigue from overdone upper midrange.
Wich Mod were installed at your CC DT 770?
The V2 Mod seems to have a more V-Shape tuning than the V3.
I find myself linkin the Comfort of the 6xx a lot, especially whit the Memoryfoam Pads .

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #45,942 of 46,553
I also have the custom cans DT 770 + V3 Mod on hand. Really like the sound for a cosedback at that price, exciting but also balanced enough. I have to say that i am not very trebble sensitive, but get quickly listening fatigue from overdone upper midrange.
Wich Mod were installed at your CC DT 770?
The V2 Mod seems to have a more V-Shape tuning than the V3.
I find myself linkin the Comfort of the 6xx a lot, especially whit the Memoryfoam Pads .

I'm not sure, I've emailed and asked, they were ordered in Feb this year.

I use the DT770 for when family are around due to isolation, phone laptop YouTube etc, and quite happy with general music. But I love the tighter bass and gorgeous mids from the 6xx, I mainly listen to acoustic, vocals and pop some jazz When I'm listening to rock and classical I don't mind what headphones I'm using for some reason , but for vocals it's the 6xx all the way. I've just sold Hifiman XS, Sundara, and Amanda Stealth, the latter really is outstanding but sold on and bought the CC DT770 Pro and CC HDxx for same prices the pair give me more flexibility

Jun 29, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #45,944 of 46,553
6XX's packaging is more expensive than 650's.

Just quoting a guy that worked with Sennheiser for 5 years until 2019

"The transducers, the care in selecting driver matching pairs and QC, and most other aspects of the HD 650 are the same as the HD 6XX, the only significant differences are the color, shorter cable, more economical packaging, and the price exclusive to Drop. It really was intended to be a strong value."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back