Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 25, 2022 at 4:59 PM Post #45,616 of 46,525
Is the nickel one necessary or the cheaper version nickel apparently is made for the 6xx ?

Mine are all copper, but that’s not because of any financial or sonic consideration. When I bought my first one, that’s all they offered, and I wanted the others to match. I don’t believe anyone has suggested that they’ve noticed a sonic difference between the two. The nickel coating may make them more resilient (to what I don’t know, unless you use them on a seafaring boat), but I believe it to be merely a cosmetic difference. If the nickel one is physically fitted only to the 6xx, I’m unaware of it (without having checked for that specification - I don’t own a pair of 6xx, but I thought they were supposed to be the same as a 650). So, unless that is the case, I’d say get whichever one you prefer.

Edit: I just checked the website, and the nickel plated ones are indeed labeled as 6xx while the copper is labeled 600/650. Like I said, I don’t own 6xx and I’ve always just accepted the local ‘wisdom’ that they were the same, but if the ‘spider cages’ are different, all bets are off. If you’re unsure, you should ask @jfunk. I’m certain he’d be happy to answer all of your questions, and he’s certainly the most qualified.

Enjoy!

YMMV, IMHO, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #45,617 of 46,525
Sometimes it’s all about context. My entire bedroom system (including wires, but not including iPhone) cost me less than 2 car payments, yet, after another sleepless night, I just spent two+ hours flat on my back drifting in and out between sleep and absolute musical bliss. Sometimes I wonder about all the mega-fancy stuff. I’m not suggesting in any way that I am unhappy with any part of my ‘big rig’, or that ‘this is as good as it gets’, but holy crap, did the stars align for me just now, so I thought I’d share. HD650 with Dekoni elite hybrid pads and the copper ring mod, oem sennheiser cable, burson soloist sl 2 with a ‘basic’ Marigo power cord, Audioengine Bluetooth receiver with ancient audioquest lapis ic, and my Garcia/Grisman Spotify playlist. Maybe I was hallucinating (just a little 😚), but that modest little system (modest for us, ridiculously good to a normal human) allowed me to get there. I could live in that state forever. And not one thing in this bedside system is a current model. In fact, most of it is years old (the amp and Bluetooth receiver are probably only ~5 or 6 years old, but the ac and ic cables are going on 30, and the headphones are certainly 15+). Damn, boys! 5 out of 5.

:L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000::L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #45,620 of 46,525
A lot of people don’t realise health and mood has a big influence on perceived sound quality and enjoying music.
Indeed! There are times, not often, when - within seconds - the headphone system sounds like crows fighting over carrion 😣. Emotional / mental fatigue from the day have left their residue. The conclusion: “some other time”. The relief: workout #2.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #45,621 of 46,525
Positioning is perhaps the most import factor. A modded Momentum can sound as natural as the HD650 if the positioning is at the perfect angle, in which just a slight movement of the cups will get it sounding harsher or more closed in.

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #45,622 of 46,525
Mine are all copper, but that’s not because of any financial or sonic consideration. When I bought my first one, that’s all they offered, and I wanted the others to match. I don’t believe anyone has suggested that they’ve noticed a sonic difference between the two. The nickel coating may make them more resilient (to what I don’t know, unless you use them on a seafaring boat), but I believe it to be merely a cosmetic difference. If the nickel one is physically fitted only to the 6xx, I’m unaware of it (without having checked for that specification - I don’t own a pair of 6xx, but I thought they were supposed to be the same as a 650). So, unless that is the case, I’d say get whichever one you prefer.

Edit: I just checked the website, and the nickel plated ones are indeed labeled as 6xx while the copper is labeled 600/650. Like I said, I don’t own 6xx and I’ve always just accepted the local ‘wisdom’ that they were the same, but if the ‘spider cages’ are different, all bets are off. If you’re unsure, you should ask @jfunk. I’m certain he’d be happy to answer all of your questions, and he’s certainly the most qualified.

Enjoy!

YMMV, IMHO, just my $.03, etc., ad nauseum.
I have bought 2 times nickel plated version for 2 Hd650's because I think they look better, and with provided "label" they fit perfectly.

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:43 AM Post #45,623 of 46,525
Or….in case “L” & “R”, black plug & red plug are not enough, one could put a siLver doughnut in left & a coppeR doughnut in right….rather like port & starboard….🤪😜

Dec 28, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #45,624 of 46,525
I have bought 2 times nickel plated version for 2 Hd650's because I think they look better, and with provided "label" they fit perfectly.
I use the stickers on all of mine (although I only ‘needed’ them on the 650, I like the idea of an extra layer of ‘damping’, so I used them on my 580 and 600 too). I also don’t disagree that the nickel is prettier, but when I got my first set they only offered copper, so I stuck with it for the sake of consistency (read: OCD). Anyway, this answers the question about whether the nickel vs copper are headphone specific - it appears they are not. Thanks!
Or….in case “L” & “R”, black plug & red plug are not enough, one could put a siLver doughnut in left & a coppeR doughnut in right….rather like port & starboard….🤪😜
Lol! I actually like that idea, especially since the oem sennheiser 650 cord does not have a red plug. I’m not going to do it, but I like the way you think … 🤓

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #45,625 of 46,525
I allways feel the 3 dots on the left side, easier and quicker for me.

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #45,626 of 46,525
The HD6XX is still one of the best headphones on the market in 2022, better than a lot of the hyped-up kilobuck stuff. The catch is that you won't get the most out of it without a good amplifier. The HD6XX is fast and clean on the Quicksilver, it almost sounds like an electrostat.

Aye. I've no desire for new cans, but after thankfully selling my very basic starter hybrid tube amp, I'm super curious about trying a little nicer one A) mostly for the 6XX but B) also plays nicely with IEMs and everything.

Anyone have any suggestions cheaper than Quicksilver or Bottlehead's stuff? I am curious about Crack (lul)... the sticker price isn't so bad and I do like the kit aspect, but it can get pricey to import to Canada and I've heard it's not great for anything lower impedance.

Jan 5, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #45,627 of 46,525
Aye. I've no desire for new cans, but after thankfully selling my very basic starter hybrid tube amp, I'm super curious about trying a little nicer one A) mostly for the 6XX but B) also plays nicely with IEMs and everything.

Anyone have any suggestions cheaper than Quicksilver or Bottlehead's stuff? I am curious about Crack (lul)... the sticker price isn't so bad and I do like the kit aspect, but it can get pricey to import to Canada and I've heard it's not great for anything lower impedance.
I don't have a lot of experience with Amps, but love the 6xx with the Little Dot Mk III (OTL Tube Amp), as well as the Schiit Jotunheim 2 (SS amp only). Both reasonably priced and both work well with the Senns..... YMMV

Leo

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:14 AM Post #45,629 of 46,525

I have the musical fidelity x-cans v3 (modified by pink floyd in the UK) with pinkie psu, obviously you can only buy used but it was originally voiced for the hd600/650 and still sounds superb.

d

Jan 6, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #45,630 of 46,525
I have recently replaced pads on my 650. It's been at least 3 to 4 since I've last done this. And I have some concerns that they might be fake. I know packaging and things of the sort change from year to year, but this is why I'm concerned.

*just a plastic bag with a label done on a printer...no cardboard/paper at the top with colored Senn logo

*these new pads will NOT snap in place (at least with an amount of force that I'm comfortable with

*the round plastic ring that snaps into the cup is clear shinny plastic, whereas every other pad I've ever bought has been matte black

Am I crazy or have things just changed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back