Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 15, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #44,896 of 46,499
Apr 15, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #44,897 of 46,499
Apr 16, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #44,898 of 46,499
Nice!

In terms of sound and comfort, how are they different from the stock pads?

It's several slight changes that i think add up to a nice whole. There's a bit less lingering of notes, a hair more attack, a tad bit less warmth and mid hump, but also less deep bass. The mids are just as textured but there's more finesse and effortlessness because of the aforementioned changes. There's a ever so slight lift in the treble, no harshness though even though there's less material over the driver. I think the soundstage is slightly smaller in width, but depth and imaging are little better. Comfort is fine for me, although my ear touches the backing material. I can wear them for hours on end with no problems. Really like the look too as I'm able to see the whole driver while it's basically still covered. In a nutshell it sounds a little more like the 600 but still really musical. Finally, this is what my ears are telling me so your mileage may vary of course. But i do think this mod is worth trying. Also remember these Yaxi pads are for the Sony MDR-M1ST which is fairly neutral HP. The Yaxi pads were aiming to emphasize neutrality even more on the M1ST imo, so it makes sense that they would change characteristics of the 650 the way they do. I know this from experience as I owned the M1ST and used the Yaxi pads with them.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2022 at 10:21 PM Post #44,901 of 46,499
Just got 6xx delivered. Only Have a short listening session so far and only other set I have to compare is ananda. Using with bf2 and lyr amp

Initial impressions much more comfortable and snug fitting secure. General Sound quality but is not too far behind the ananda. Soundstage being the main difference I first listens a/b between the two.

Def seem like a good buy at $200. I have never heard the sundara to compare even price range

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #44,903 of 46,499
6xx's left side bit the dust today. I already have 800s's but I liked them enough I may just replace them anyway...
You checked the cable, right?

May 1, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #44,905 of 46,499
I’ve tried many hifimans, audeze, Dan Clark/drop Aeon open, etc., etc., all of which have much to admire, but I always end up selling them and keeping the Sennheisers. My 650s have Dekoni hybrid pads, no foam behind the drivers, and custom mogami wire with furutech connectors all around, but the point is that when they are on my head I immediately become immersed in the music, as opposed to listening to technicalities of the equipment. I know it sounds trite, but it’s true. Musical is musical, end of story. If you are looking for headphones through which to consistently enjoy your music (as opposed To creating the ultimate measurable hifi experience in your home), you could hardly do better than a pair of properly driven* HD650.

*”Properly driven” is a topic which is comprehensively discussed above. Tubes or class A SS with a hefty power supply that can handle big voltage swings are the generally accepted answers. Puny iPhone op-amps, etc., won’t cut it, leading people to falsely believe that the 650s are slow or veiled. They are not, they just need to be properly fed.

NB: I should mention that my listening, while eclectic, consists primarily of jazz, classical, Dead, etc., so I express no opinion as to whether the 650s are equally compatible with death metal, EDM or other more ‘extreme’ (to me) genres.

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #44,906 of 46,499
I’ve tried many hifimans, audeze, Dan Clark/drop Aeon open, etc., etc., all of which have much to admire, but I always end up selling them and keeping the Sennheisers. My 650s have Dekoni hybrid pads, no foam behind the drivers, and custom mogami wire with furutech connectors all around, but the point is that when they are on my head I immediately become immersed in the music, as opposed to listening to technicalities of the equipment. I know it sounds trite, but it’s true. Musical is musical, end of story. If you are looking for headphones through which to consistently enjoy your music (as opposed To creating the ultimate measurable hifi experience in your home), you could hardly do better than a pair of properly driven* HD650.

*”Properly driven” is a topic which is comprehensively discussed above. Tubes or class A SS with a hefty power supply that can handle big voltage swings are the generally accepted answers. Puny iPhone op-amps, etc., won’t cut it, leading people to falsely believe that the 650s are slow or veiled. They are not, they just need to be properly fed.

NB: I should mention that my listening, while eclectic, consists primarily of jazz, classical, Dead, etc., so I express no opinion as to whether the 650s are equally compatible with death metal, EDM or other more ‘extreme’ (to me) genres.
Highlited parts in bold = Done that / share the same opinion / same experience, etc.

May 4, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #44,907 of 46,499
Not sure if this was answered (backtracking but couldn't get shortlisted responses) - looking to get a HD650 as my main HP, would a Xduoo MT-602 bring out wonders or what would be the best $200 option if ever? Also, is there a diff between those made in Ireland and Romania? Eyeing one that's Made in Ireland with the latest box (no longer having the heavy luxury box inside).

May 4, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #44,908 of 46,499
I'm back to the stock pads. It's amazing to me how much my preferences change.

May 4, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #44,909 of 46,499
I’m the same way. Sometimes I think it’s the change itself that we crave, not necessarily the result of the change. In any case, foolin’ around with stuff is what makes it a hobby!

May 5, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #44,910 of 46,499
Not sure if this was answered (backtracking but couldn't get shortlisted responses) - looking to get a HD650 as my main HP, would a Xduoo MT-602 bring out wonders or what would be the best $200 option if ever? Also, is there a diff between those made in Ireland and Romania? Eyeing one that's Made in Ireland with the latest box (no longer having the heavy luxury box inside).
Spend the extra $50 on the Schiit Asgard 3 if you're after a high quality amp that'll make the HD6XX sing.

Ireland vs Romania is irrelevant, beyond some teething issues in the first 6 months of Romanian production, which has long passed.

I’m the same way. Sometimes I think it’s the change itself that we crave, not necessarily the result of the change. In any case, foolin’ around with stuff is what makes it a hobby!
The pads themselves change over time, particularly with HD 600/650/6XX. The brain can adjust to sound signatures too, but hydration levels, blood pressure, nerve health/damage, etc, all have an impact too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back