Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #44,821 of 46,514
So I've tried them out today for 5 hours.

I must say, once I get the fit right (which isn't hard to do, but they need to fit differently on your ears than stock pads, with the highest part of the earpad as low on your ears as possible for optimal sound) they do sound even less resonant than the stock pads, and have tighter and more bass.

Yep, I don't feel like getting any other earpads. These sound amazing (again, once the fit is as I described above, if you fit them otherwise, they'll sound distant and dull).

I did use the stock HD 650 foam, I didn't try the foam that came with the pads, which is noticably thicker. It was good enough for me
Very late reply but wanted to say thanks for this. One of the only positive impressions of the Yaxi pads I cound find. I decided to take a chance on them since the official pads are ridiculously priced for Canada and I figure these might be longer lasting. Are you still using them?

They took a while to fit on so it was hard to try and do quick comparisons.. but I might mess with them again soon and switch back to the original, thinner driver covering sheet of foam. Bass was improved to my ears and I couldn't identify with the negative reviews saying stuff like the imaging and staging suffers.

Mar 20, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #44,822 of 46,514
Very late reply but wanted to say thanks for this. One of the only positive impressions of the Yaxi pads I cound find. I decided to take a chance on them since the official pads are ridiculously priced for Canada and I figure these might be longer lasting. Are you still using them?

They took a while to fit on so it was hard to try and do quick comparisons.. but I might mess with them again soon and switch back to the original, thinner driver covering sheet of foam. Bass was improved to my ears and I couldn't identify with the negative reviews saying stuff like the imaging and staging suffers.
Hey, no I’m not using them anymore - sold my HD650 a while back because I wanted more bass but even the Yaxi pads had that thick pads type of resonance, even though it was noticably less than the Dekoni Velours and Brainwavz Sheepskin.

But the best pads I’ve heard for the HD650, were the Philips Fidelio L2 pads. Those ones truly are as smooth in the attack and decay as stock pads, yet with the FR response smoothness and bigger bass of pleather pads.

Mar 20, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #44,823 of 46,514
Hey, no I’m not using them anymore - sold my HD650 a while back because I wanted more bass but even the Yaxi pads had that thick pads type of resonance, even though it was noticably less than the Dekoni Velours and Brainwavz Sheepskin.

But the best pads I’ve heard for the HD650, were the Philips Fidelio L2 pads. Those ones truly are as smooth in the attack and decay as stock pads, yet with the FR response smoothness and bigger bass of pleather pads.
Interesting. How did you fit those on?

Mar 20, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #44,827 of 46,514
just rediscovered the 6xx's again for the 20th time after not listening to them for months. this time on my new gear, questyle cma 12. I have to say, the smoothness of class a combined with the beautiful midrange of this series just made me fall in love with them again. just incredible headphones that offer things that no other headphones can.. even those 2k+

Mar 21, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #44,828 of 46,514
I took the ear mounts off of the Yaxi pads, stuck them under the Philips pads and attached them
extreme padding! This is good to know in case i could ever use another replacement, it's cheaper than pretty much anything made for the 6 series. I picked up some of the generic knockoff replacements that look correct but (as I've seen pointed out elsewhere) do not actually snap on!

Sticking with the Yaxis. If nothing else, the less touching my ear, the better. I did some fast (non-snapped-in) swapping last night and I get what you mean that there's some extra resonance with the Yaxis. And I like it overall. Demoed a bunch of different stuff.

Am back to the original, thinner driver covering foam. Though I can't say I'm a goldenears enough to notice any difference to the ones Yaxi provided. That'll be some backup since the originals are fine.

btw in the midst of all this I steamed my original pads (elevated in a covered pot of simmering water) and it really does give them back some thickness. I can't say how long that would hold up for. But it at least seemed to be a fair fight in doing a shootout with the knockoffs and the Yaxis.

Mar 22, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #44,829 of 46,514
ZMF perforated suede ear pads are pretty good with the HD650. need more time to really decide if I like them more than the stock pads, but I'm enjoying what I'm hearing so far

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #44,830 of 46,514
ZMF perforated suede ear pads are pretty good with the HD650. need more time to really decide if I like them more than the stock pads, but I'm enjoying what I'm hearing so far
Which model pads?

Mar 24, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #44,831 of 46,514
Been thinking about my listening habits and sound signature preferences and I've come to the conclusion that my current ZMF Aeolus might honestly be a bit of an overkill for my needs and requirements (plus I've been having some comfort issues with them). Anyone here who was happy with their Aeolus but still decided to, for whatever reason, "downgrade" to a pair of 650s? How did you feel about it in the end? With the money I'd get from selling the Aeolus I could fairly easily get a pair of 650s and a tube amp, which is definitely an appealing idea, but I'd be curious to maybe hear some thoughts from folks who may have done exactly that before I do anything.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #44,832 of 46,514
Mar 24, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #44,833 of 46,514

Users who are viewing this thread

Back