Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #44,851 of 46,536
I have three sets of headphones and the 6XX's were my least favorite until I changed the cable. I was skeptical about doing it, but it did improve the sound. Now I'm playing around with the idea of getting a Little Dot or Darkvoice tube amp to see what they could bring out of Sennheiser's. Just kicking it around, mind you.
What cable did you get?

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:42 AM Post #44,852 of 46,536
Finally got it - again - the Sennheiser HD 650 !

I had this headphone 5 years ago but unfortunately kept it only one year. At the time I was playing a lot on PC and then replaced it with a MMX300 as I wanted a closed-back headphone for isolation... Big regret eventually. The HD 650 was also my first open-back headphone and overall my favorite signature.

More recently, since last year, I've been enjoying the Philip Fidelio X2HR but wanted to come back to the Senn :)

My current gear is a Fiio K5 Pro (DAC + Amp / AK Chip model), but was already thinking in the upcoming months to upgrade. I've looked many pages on this thread and was lurking at two models : Ifi Audio ZEN CAN Signature 6XX, or DarkVoice 336SE. Either to replace or complete my Fiio :)

Oh also a cable (short size, maybe 1,5M max) of course to get along with a new amp :D

Apr 4, 2022 at 6:21 AM Post #44,853 of 46,536
Apr 4, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #44,855 of 46,536
Finally got it - again - the Sennheiser HD 650 !

I had this headphone 5 years ago but unfortunately kept it only one year. At the time I was playing a lot on PC and then replaced it with a MMX300 as I wanted a closed-back headphone for isolation... Big regret eventually. The HD 650 was also my first open-back headphone and overall my favorite signature.

More recently, since last year, I've been enjoying the Philip Fidelio X2HR but wanted to come back to the Senn :)

My current gear is a Fiio K5 Pro (DAC + Amp / AK Chip model), but was already thinking in the upcoming months to upgrade. I've looked many pages on this thread and was lurking at two models : Ifi Audio ZEN CAN Signature 6XX, or DarkVoice 336SE. Either to replace or complete my Fiio :)

Oh also a cable (short size, maybe 1,5M max) of course to get along with a new amp :D
Add the Schiit Asgard 3 to that list. :thumbsup:

Apr 4, 2022 at 8:05 AM Post #44,856 of 46,536
Add the Schiit Asgard 3 to that list. :thumbsup:
Got tired of tube matching on my OTL amp and got rid of it when I cleaned house of several high impedance Senns and Beyers. Eventually ended up replacing my sold-off HD650s with HD6XXs and picked up an Asgard 3...really enjoying the combo!

Apr 4, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #44,859 of 46,536
Thanks for the recommandations. Indeed the cable looks promising and not excessively expensive. I think I would invest max 150€ so it's in my budget.

Regarding the Asgard 3, I am really into this model! But will be more difficult to find in Europe apparently. I would take the model with DAC included to fully replace the Fiio K5 Pro.

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #44,861 of 46,536
I really like the build of the Furutech, it ticks all the "boxes" I wanted :)

Going to take it soon, because the stock cable is way to long for a desktop, also too bulky. It will be my first pricy cable (I guess the first of a long list lol )

Apr 5, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #44,862 of 46,536
I really like the build of the Furutech, it ticks all the "boxes" I wanted :)

Going to take it soon, because the stock cable is way to long for a desktop, also too bulky. It will be my first pricy cable (I guess the first of a long list lol )

Just be aware that it's not a fancy, braided design like some of the custom cables out there. It has a rubber sleeve. But for some reason the whole build feels solid and premium to me.

Apr 5, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #44,863 of 46,536
I've looked at closer range the pictures, it looks similar to the stock cable in the design (two different pieces joint together), but the Y splitter seems to be placed lower, so better.
It's true that at first, I was thinking of a braided cable. The design of the stock one doesn't botter me that much, it's really the length.

Apr 5, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #44,864 of 46,536
Thanks for the recommandations. Indeed the cable looks promising and not excessively expensive. I think I would invest max 150€ so it's in my budget.

Regarding the Asgard 3, I am really into this model! But will be more difficult to find in Europe apparently. I would take the model with DAC included to fully replace the Fiio K5 Pro.
Avoid all the in-built DAC models like the plague, as they're all remnants from the Asgard 2 and are not up to spec.

The Fiio would be far better via passthrough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back