Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #44,491 of 46,564
I've had my HD6XX's for about a month now, for the Drop price this have to be the best value headphone in the world, and I mean that quite literally, I can't even think of another headphone that would compare at this price, for a great a majority of people out there this could easily be end game, if anyone is reading this contemplating jumping into the higher end headphones this should be your starting block, this is where you begin, and potentially stay.
Is it even possible to get a headphone to perform the way the 6xx does with the addition of top tier soundstage and imaging (the two areas where it clearly lacks)? I don't think it is, otherwise there would be a consensus "this is it" headphone that would be out of this world popular as we speak. Maybe an EQd hd800/800s, though I have never heard them.

Oct 3, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #44,493 of 46,564
I have loved my HD650s for several years, and thought it was all the headphone I ever needed, esp. with a silver cable that brought the perspective a little more forward. And that the current Drop price it is remarkable value. But of course the upgrade bug is undefeated and recently and I started wanting a little more in the way of soundstage and imaging. After a whole lot of research I got a Hifiman Arya, and yep, it is exactly the upgrade I was looking for (as it should be for the price). It is has the detail and frequency extension that I loved with the HD650, but much bigger stage, and a little more forward presentation. For me it takes everything good about the HD650 and makes it better. But JMO, YMMV as always.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #44,494 of 46,564
Is it even possible to get a headphone to perform the way the 6xx does with the addition of top tier soundstage and imaging (the two areas where it clearly lacks)? I don't think it is, otherwise there would be a consensus "this is it" headphone that would be out of this world popular as we speak. Maybe an EQd hd800/800s, though I have never heard them.
To me the Aeon Flow Open X gets very close to this provided you run it on an amp with good current. It's pretty spectacular to my ears, equipment, and listening preferences. Ymmv.

Oct 3, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #44,495 of 46,564
I've had my HD6XX's for about a month now, for the Drop price this have to be the best value headphone in the world, and I mean that quite literally, I can't even think of another headphone that would compare at this price, for a great a majority of people out there this could easily be end game, if anyone is reading this contemplating jumping into the higher end headphones this should be your starting block, this is where you begin, and potentially stay.

i have been in this hobby for over 10 years, I’ve heard and owned a lot and it’s the 650 that makes me happy with my music. I couldn’t give a crap about what the artist intended or technical perfection of other headphones I just want what I listen to to sound good to me, hours of fatigue free bliss. It’s not 2003 anymore but these are still TOTL headphones in my eyes.

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #44,498 of 46,564
I just installed these 8$ replacement pads for the sennheisser, and I am extremely happy with them. I read everywhere that the sound oh so bad compared to the original ones that cost 39,99€ in any cheap internet shop... Complete total BS. These pads are nice, look nice and feel nice, and more cuchy than the originals, same great quality of construction, they clip perfectly and they also have the different material on the inner face. In the past I purchased sheep leather fake leather pads from amazon at 27$, those where bad soundwise, these sound better than OG ones used, for sure. I do not have here original pads brand new ones, but all in all, considered the cost, these cheap pads round the value of these headphones. I own audeze cans and I own hd25 cans that sound more fun than these, but all things considered, price considered and specially lightweight, comfort and naturalness of sound, these cans can not be beat, and these cheap pads are a great options for those who want to keep it on the affordable levels.

2021-10-07 14.00.51.jpg2021-10-07 14.00.57.jpg2021-10-07 14.01.02.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #44,500 of 46,564
I just installed these 8$ replacement pads for the sennheisser, and I am extremely happy with them. I read everywhere that the sound oh so bad compared to the original ones that cost 39,99€ in any cheap internet shop... Complete total BS. These pads are nice, look nice and feel nice, and more cuchy than the originals, same great quality of construction, they clip perfectly and they also have the different material on the inner face. In the past I purchased sheep leather fake leather pads from amazon at 27$, those where bad soundwise, these sound better than OG ones used, for sure. I do not have here original pads brand new ones, but all in all, considered the cost, these cheap pads round the value of these headphones. I own audeze cans and I own hd25 cans that sound more fun than these, but all things considered, price considered and specially lightweight, comfort and naturalness of sound, these cans can not be beat, and these cheap pads are a great options for those who want to keep it on the affordable levels.

2021-10-07 14.00.51.jpg2021-10-07 14.00.57.jpg2021-10-07 14.01.02.jpg

I'm happy they sound better to you. I haven't pad rolled the 6x0s myself but as you said it does change the sound and people specifically like the tonality of the 6x0s, so I reckon that's why people diss on pad rolling the 6x0s. Whatever works works though.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #44,501 of 46,564
I'm happy they sound better to you. I haven't pad rolled the 6x0s myself but as you said it does change the sound and people specifically like the tonality of the 6x0s, so I reckon that's why people diss on pad rolling the 6x0s. Whatever works works though.
In my experience, the 650 responds very well to pads that are as thick or thinner than the stock pads. Thicker pads give them too much resonance, these cans really seem to like thin pads for that smooth timbre.

I had great results with Philips Fidelio L2 pads, smoother highs and better bass than stock without the resonance of thicker pads, and I had the smoothest mids and highs but with slightly more bass than stock with the JVC HA S-680 pads, which are extremely thin.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #44,502 of 46,564
Hi everyone, just want to know if anyone have similar issues? I purchase a new set of ear pad from Sennheiser USA but it is completely loose falling out of my HD650. I heard there is a newer version, but wasn't sure if the ear cup circumference change? Purchase mine on 2011.
I hear you. Not sure why it’s so difficult to snap in official Sennheiser ear pads. I have replaced my pads a few times over the years and each time it’s a pain to keep them in. I don’t have this problem with my 2 pairs of 58X.

Oct 14, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #44,503 of 46,564
So my first HD650 arrived yesterday.

My only other hifi hp is the Hifiman Sundara (which im very satisfied with, they are awesome), along with 2 budget-ish AKG's, but given all the praise and being THE classic in the audiophile world i simply had to listen to the 650/6xx.
So what happened yesterday is i put them on and was like: wow, these are boring..
But i also was like: wow, these are neutral/flat like they dont fatigue in any way.. no mid/upperbass bloat and no sharp treble whatsoever.. the fit is also extremely easy due to being lightweight and well padded. :relieved:
lets see what happens if i let them on for a while..

After a while (3 hours) i was absolutely in joy with that melting buttery sound coming out of those 650's and i immediately realized these are not a competitor to my Sundara's, these are a whole different thing. They dont encapsulate and demand all your attention like the Sundara's do, but they play happily in the background if you want them to. Though the intimate soundstage is able to bring the music very close when focusing. And i really love how disappearing they feel on my head. Right now i think the HD650 complements the Sundara very well.

Today i ordered the 6xx from drop along with sheepskin spare pads. I will return the 650's simply because they are way more expensive, plus the 3m cable ending in 6.35 is kinda out of date (or not the prefered use-case for me).

I've also ordered the ifi Zen CAN (for testing, idk if i'll keep it) which should arrive soon aswell. For now I'm powering everything from my Fiio BTR5, which works alright but sometimes misses out on enough power (but im also only using the SE/unbalanced output).

Anyways just wanted to share my first experience with the 650's with you, and i'm looking forward for hours of more smooth oiled chocolatey milk bathing (melodramatic music intensifies).

Have a good one 👂

edit: added youtube-music

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #44,504 of 46,564
Today i ordered the 6xx from drop along with sheepskin spare pads. I will return the 650's simply because they are way more expensive, plus the 3m cable ending in 6.35 is kinda out of date (or not the prefered use-case for me).

6xx is built with cheaper plastic, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back