Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 4, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #43,786 of 46,514
you mistake rolled off highs as smooth. they arent smooth just hard to hear. theres a difference.
Your entire 33 post history is just you complaining about Sennheisers. Are you that dude on YouTube who keeps posting those incessant frequency response graphs?

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #43,787 of 46,514
IMG_20201104_113904 (1).jpg

A mini setup for the HD6XX. I personally think that it is really important to get the HD650 / 6XX in order to really make further progress in this hobby. It really sets a great baseline for how a good setup should sound. Get the HD6xx and build your upgrade path along with it. It scales really well with great source gear and it will never be the bottleneck of it. The HD6XX baseline really allows you to evaluate your DACs and AMPs and identify the area for improvement and upgrades for source gear.
hear hear.

I completely agree. I am listening to them right now on my BHC and it sounds glorious with small combo jazz. The tubes I have in my tube amp cost more than the headphones.

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #43,788 of 46,514
Your entire 33 post history is just you complaining about Sennheisers. Are you that dude on YouTube who keeps posting those incessant frequency response graphs?
Agree - he's a troll. But I'll bite and say that if you have an issue with hearing the highs on them then you have hearing issues. A properly driven 650 has no lack of detail in the highs. I would call them sweet though, rather than smooth 😉.

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #43,789 of 46,514
Agree - he's a troll. But I'll bite and say that if you have an issue with hearing the highs on them then you have hearing issues. A properly driven 650 has no lack of detail in the highs. I would call them sweet though, rather than smooth 😉.

Absolutely. All 300-ohm Sennheisers need power. On my Asgard 3, which is around 610mw@300ohm, there is zero veil. Just smooth, buttery, detailed highs.

Nov 4, 2020 at 7:54 PM Post #43,791 of 46,514
I think we should be accurate in our descriptions of what we hear with the HD 650s. It's a glorious and warm sound signature that is great for certain styles of music like Bossa Nova jazz. Depending on the amp you use, there could be a veil covering the highs. With the right amp, you can remove most of that veil. For classical music and some vocals, the highs are better on other headphones like the HD 600s. There is insufficient detail in the highs for some types of classical music like symphony orchestra music with lots of high energy dynamic passages. Because of this, I am thinking about picking up a pair of HD 800S for classical music listening.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #43,792 of 46,514

Too true.

At my age I can only hear to ~14K. Even then, 650s are perfect. Although technically superior, my HiFiMan HE6se is too hot in the Treble. No contest. I consider the 650s similar in Timbre in the Highs and Mids to my Stax L700 which are extremely natural in tone.

What most people consider to be bright or warm is due to lower or mid treble peaks / dips. 3K->8K.

So...what is apparent is...each to their own...

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #43,793 of 46,514
A properly driven 650 has no lack of detail in the highs. I would call them sweet though, rather than smooth 😉.

I can agree with that easily. Sweetness and presence!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 10, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #43,795 of 46,514
Guys, do I need to run this headphones balanced? Or any other headphones? I'm asking because I need to now should I buy amp that has balanced option or not.

Thanks!

Definitely not. This has been discussed at length. You can get more for your money in a single-ended format. The myth of balanced > single-ended comes from units that have both and on which balanced has more power, sounds better. A well designed single ended amp can exceed a similarly priced balanced unit (balanced requires more hardware).

Of course, some people may prefer balanced models for other reasons, aesthetics, other features, etc.

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #43,796 of 46,514
Definitely not. This has been discussed at length. You can get more for your money in a single-ended format. The myth of balanced > single-ended comes from units that have both and on which balanced has more power, sounds better. A well designed single ended amp can exceed a similarly priced balanced unit (balanced requires more hardware).

Of course, some people may prefer balanced models for other reasons, aesthetics, other features, etc.
I was looking into Schiit Magnius and Magni3+/Heresy. So Magnius only make sense if I plan to use balanced output? Magni3+/Heresy will have enough power for HD6xx?

Nov 10, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #43,797 of 46,514
@limaaa Yes, there is actually a video with Jason Stoddard from Schiit Audio where he says that SE was added to the Magnius just to have it, but that it sounds inferior to the balanced on that particular unit. It's in the four part series Schiit interview from Passion for Sound on Youtube.

See also 3:09 in this video (I am in no way affiliated with this channel, just happens to be on point to the question asked here) regarding power requirements.

For single ended, I hear the Lehmann Audio Linear and Violectric V200 work great with the 6-series. I've been using a tube amp. From the Schiit line-up, not sure, others will help you out I am sure.

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:26 PM Post #43,799 of 46,514
@limaaa Yes, there is actually a video with Jason Stoddard from Schiit Audio where he says that SE was added to the Magnius just to have it, but that it sounds inferior to the balanced on that particular unit. It's in the four part series Schiit interview from Passion for Sound on Youtube.

See also 3:09 in this video (I am in no way affiliated with this channel, just happens to be on point to the question asked here) regarding power requirements.

For single ended, I hear the Lehmann Audio Linear and Violectric V200 work great with the 6-series. I've been using a tube amp. From the Schiit line-up, not sure, others will help you out I am sure.

I use a Lehmann Audio Linear SE (special edition) in my amp rotations with the HD-600s. Real synergy there! Deep, full bass, midrange with body, highs with air and extension. I read that LA used Sennheisers in developing the Linear in its various configurations.

Nov 10, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #43,800 of 46,514
I think we should be accurate in our descriptions of what we hear with the HD 650s. It's a glorious and warm sound signature that is great for certain styles of music like Bossa Nova jazz. Depending on the amp you use, there could be a veil covering the highs. With the right amp, you can remove most of that veil. For classical music and some vocals, the highs are better on other headphones like the HD 600s. There is insufficient detail in the highs for some types of classical music like symphony orchestra music with lots of high energy dynamic passages. Because of this, I am thinking about picking up a pair of HD 800S for classical music listening.
The treble is just so refined and neutral in emphasis, that it may be too smooth for users who are used to bright headphones or headphones that have unrefined highs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back