Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 21, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #43,066 of 46,514
You guys have any go-to 2.5mm balanced cables that you trust? I'm probably going to be buying the 6xx and wish I could just roll with the stock cables but I need 2.5mm balanced so that my ES100 can drive the headphones properly. I see a couple options on Amazon in the $50 range, but without any ratings for the most part I don't know how much I should trust them. Then I'm seeing cheaper ~$25 options on AE such as this:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32934020492.html

I posted upthread a link to oiosound, a British outfit that also re-terminates original Senn cables (and also building their own ones) - I got mine with 2,5mm balanced termination.

Dec 22, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #43,067 of 46,514
You guys have any go-to 2.5mm balanced cables that you trust? I'm probably going to be buying the 6xx and wish I could just roll with the stock cables but I need 2.5mm balanced so that my ES100 can drive the headphones properly. I see a couple options on Amazon in the $50 range, but without any ratings for the most part I don't know how much I should trust them. Then I'm seeing cheaper ~$25 options on AE such as this:

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32934020492.html

I have a Cardas with 2.5mm balanced. bought it from Drop (when it was still named Massdrop). good definition, the bass is much tighter.

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #43,068 of 46,514
(...)I don’t want to be a party pooper, but what’s wrong with the genuine Sennheiser cable ? (...)
In my case, it being 3m long (HD650, not 6XX). I disliked two things about my 2019 HD650 when I got them a couple of weeks ago: the new boring, bland, cheap packaging and the fact that the only supplied cable is ridiculously long for most home setups.

Dec 24, 2019 at 8:42 AM Post #43,069 of 46,514
I guess I'm an oddity because I really like the long cable for home use. I can understand a shorter cable for portable use but frankly I would never consider using the HD650/HD6XX for anything other than home use. Personally I use my closed back Beyerdynamic DT1350 or either of my Westone or Shure IEM's for portable use.

Dec 24, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #43,070 of 46,514
I guess I'm an oddity because I really like the long cable for home use. I can understand a shorter cable for portable use but frankly I would never consider using the HD650/HD6XX for anything other than home use. Personally I use my closed back Beyerdynamic DT1350 or either of my Westone or Shure IEM's for portable use.
I would never consider using neither the 650 nor my HD598SR portably.
I dislike long cables for home use because I tend to sit close to my Fiio K5 Pro, so 1,5m cables are usually the sweet spot for me. Having a 3m long cable just means I'm going to have to deal with clutter and tie it up so it's shorter... but that also means that I have a "blob" of cable in my cable, ha! :grin:

Dec 24, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #43,071 of 46,514
I always prefer a plain box. Why spend so much attention/money on something that's going to end up in the recycling bin? Fancy boxes seem like they exist to wow people into forgetting that they're about to experience a mediocre product. I want to be wowed by the product, not the box it comes in.

And I have a ten foot extension connected to my ten foot stock cable. Amp is in the living room, I can sit at the dining room table. Amp is on the dining room table, I can get myself a drink. Perfect!

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #43,072 of 46,514
I always prefer a plain box. Why spend so much attention/money on something that's going to end up in the recycling bin? Fancy boxes seem like they exist to wow people into forgetting that they're about to experience a mediocre product. I want to be wowed by the product, not the box it comes in.

And I have a ten foot extension connected to my ten foot stock cable. Amp is in the living room, I can sit at the dining room table. Amp is on the dining room table, I can get myself a drink. Perfect!
MANY years ago, I had a pair of AKGs that came with a 8ft cord. Made the mistake of buying a Radio Shack extension. Soon as the RS ext was connected, the AKGs sound became garbage. Have Sennheiser HD650 on order, will need an extension cable any suggestions appreciated?.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:59 PM Post #43,073 of 46,514
MANY years ago, I had a pair of AKGs that came with a 8ft cord. Made the mistake of buying a Radio Shack extension. Soon as the RS ext was connected, the AKGs sound became garbage. Have Sennheiser HD650 on order, will need an extension cable any suggestions appreciated?.
I fabricated my own out of Mogami W2549 and Neutrik connectors. It sounds completely transparent to me, no discernable difference with it connected or without.
If you're even a little bit handy with a soldering iron, you can make a very high quality cable for about $20. Mogami is 80¢/foot and the connectors were a little more than $5 each, if I recall. Even if you're not handy with an iron, it's a great, inexpensive way to learn.
You can also search Amazon for cables made with 2549.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #43,074 of 46,514

I don't own any Grado headphones but I have 2 of their extension cables. They're a bit pricey but they are high quality and very well constructed. When in use there is no affect on the sound quality of my headphones.

Dec 26, 2019 at 4:44 AM Post #43,076 of 46,514
Must be out luck for Xmas this year... my B-Stock HD 650's right driver just died on me a couple of days ago. Had been using them the night before with no issues, stored them and the next day they were dead.

Checked with two different cables, both from my Fiio and my phone and nada. Luckily they were still within the return period, so back they go... Was really gutted, as I had been enjoying them a lot over my HD598SR for music. Guess my trusty Yaxi'd Porta Pros will be pulling double duty in the meantime. Now I'm trying to decide if I'll go with a new set (no more B-Stocks for me) or try something completely different, like the AKG K712 Pro.

Dec 30, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #43,077 of 46,514
Very excited to have the HD 6XX for my home setup. I've always been a road warrior for work so I never focused much on my home audio setup and while I still travel heavily, I was really getting annoyed at home with using IEMs since I get calls all day long or when my family is home it's too much of a pain to take them in and out. With the price on this Drop going under $200, I felt like I couldn't pass it up anymore. I just have a basic Drop O2 amp with it for right now and while maybe one day I'll upgrade there, this is such a great experience at my desk for music, movies and gaming 8)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back