Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Apr 19, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #41,206 of 46,564
I am new to head-fi and recently received my HD6xx. I am looking to upgrade my E07K amp/dac since I mainly just use the headphones on my desktop. Should I go cheap and just upgrade the amp getting E09K for $70? Would it be worth paying $150 to upgrade to the Modi / Magni 2 Uber stack? Should I consider any of these at the following prices O2+odac $280, BL iDSD $380, or bottlehead $500? It just seems too expensive for me when I am unsure if I can tell the difference. I like the sound so far from the HD6xx but wish it had a little bit more bass (my old headphones were bass heavy DT770 Premium 600 ohms which I forgot on a plane).

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #41,207 of 46,564
I am new to head-fi and recently received my HD6xx. I am looking to upgrade my E07K amp/dac since I mainly just use the headphones on my desktop. Should I go cheap and just upgrade the amp getting E09K for $70? Would it be worth paying $150 to upgrade to the Modi / Magni 2 Uber stack? Should I consider any of these at the following prices O2+odac $280, BL iDSD $380, or bottlehead $500? It just seems too expensive for me when I am unsure if I can tell the difference. I like the sound so far from the HD6xx but wish it had a little bit more bass (my old headphones were bass heavy DT770 Premium 600 ohms which I forgot on a plane).

I've heard extremely positive reactions about the $250 Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp with the HD6XX, which may be ending soon. I don't have mine yet but I'm pretty confident that combined with the Topping D30 DAC ($120) it will be end game for me.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #41,208 of 46,564

If you are unsure if you can tell the difference then I would suggest not updating/upgrading at this time. Save some funds and see if you can try your HD6XX on a few different setups to see if you can notice any differences and if you do notice differences then consider DAC and amp purchases so you will know you can hear the differences.

While I haven't heard the E07K or E09K I've owned the Magni/Modi (sold), Modi2/Magni2 uber (sold Magni2, kept Modi2uber), Modi-MB/Magni3 (a friend as this setup): differences between these are most noticeable between Modi2uber and Modi MB as DACs and between Magni2 and Magni3 but I like @Stabby suggestion of the CTH from MassDrop or going with the Vali2, Garage 1217 Sunrise III, Polaris or Solstice due to these being more versatile in the event that you get other headphones in the future.

I have 3 amps that I use with my HD650 and HD6XX: BH Crack (IMO the best for under $1k - $500 for the Crack is not bad but the tubes will increase the cost a bit/a lot depending on the tubes you select), Project Ember (most versatile amp I've used and a close second to the BH Crack), and Lyr2 (a bit leaner sounding compared to the other 2 amps). I also use the headphone jack of my HT receiver which sounds better than the Lyr2 to me for movies.

PS: welcome to Head-Fi

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #41,209 of 46,564
I I have both HD650 and HD6XX and there is nothing different about the damping foam between them from what I can see. As for sound th HD6XX had a noticeable but slight bright energy in the high frequencies. After 4 months with them I have noticed that they have tamed down sounding much more like my HD650.

I think the dampening foam being referenced is behind spider cage on the back. I think the only way to get to it is to remove (irreversible) the spider cage.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #41,210 of 46,564
I am looking to upgrade my E07K amp/dac since I mainly just use the headphones on my desktop.
I've heard extremely positive reactions about the $250 Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp
If you can budget $250 go for the Massdrop CTH, great little amp. Then walk away from buying any other amps, be done ! It also goes well with many other headphones.

Apr 19, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #41,211 of 46,564
If you are unsure if you can tell the difference then I would suggest not updating/upgrading at this time. Save some funds and see if you can try your HD6XX on a few different setups to see if you can notice any differences and if you do notice differences then consider DAC and amp purchases so you will know you can hear the differences.

While I haven't heard the E07K or E09K I've owned the Magni/Modi (sold), Modi2/Magni2 uber (sold Magni2, kept Modi2uber), Modi-MB/Magni3 (a friend as this setup): differences between these are most noticeable between Modi2uber and Modi MB as DACs and between Magni2 and Magni3 but I like @Stabby suggestion of the CTH from MassDrop or going with the Vali2, Garage 1217 Sunrise III, Polaris or Solstice due to these being more versatile in the event that you get other headphones in the future.

I have 3 amps that I use with my HD650 and HD6XX: BH Crack (IMO the best for under $1k - $500 for the Crack is not bad but the tubes will increase the cost a bit/a lot depending on the tubes you select), Project Ember (most versatile amp I've used and a close second to the BH Crack), and Lyr2 (a bit leaner sounding compared to the other 2 amps). I also use the headphone jack of my HT receiver which sounds better than the Lyr2 to me for movies.

Can't say enough great things about the Crack and the Ember. I also hugely recommend the Modi MB as the entry-level DAC that scales pretty well with pricier amps, despite me not being a huge Schitt fan

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:27 PM Post #41,212 of 46,564
I've heard extremely positive reactions about the $250 Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid amp with the HD6XX, which may be ending soon. I don't have mine yet but I'm pretty confident that combined with the Topping D30 DAC ($120) it will be end game for me.

If you can budget $250 go for the Massdrop CTH, great little amp. Then walk away from buying any other amps, be done ! It also goes well with many other headphones.

I saw the CTH but would I still need to buy a DAC to pair it with or would the E07k or a soundcard like the Xonar D1 or DX suffice? Btw, the reason why I am not sure if I could hear a difference is because I have only tried the E07K before and no other DACs or Amps.

Can't say enough great things about the Crack and the Ember. I also hugely recommend the Modi MB as the entry-level DAC that scales pretty well with pricier amps, despite me not being a huge Schitt fan

The MB stands for Multi-Bit?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #41,213 of 46,564
Agree with @Tuneslover about the damping foam but my HD6XX has not changed/toned down and are still slightly brighter than my HD650 after 5 months of use. I've been using the HD6XX more these days over the HD650 since its slightly brighter presentation makes watching movies more involving to me but for music I will mostly use the HD650 since its a more forgiving headphone to sub-par recordings due to the slightly rolled off treble and these days my GF has started to listen to more of my music collection from the 70's and 80's so the forgiving nature of the HD650 is much appreciated.

I'd suggest a Garage 1217 amp like the Polaris (SS) or Solstice (hybrid like the Vali2) if you can get them since they are more versatile due to the adjustable output impedance and with the Solstice it can use a wider range of tubes over the Vali2 (which I consider a great amp for the price). I think the RS2e and HD6XX make a great pair since they are so different sounding and will present various tracks in their own unique way and to round out the group I'd suggest a planar to get another type of sound.

it's great to hear about the relaxedness in that context - i hope my 6XXs settle down when i get them.

i'm probably one of the youngest members on the boards - i got M50s when i was twelve, and used them all day every day for about three years. i'm sixteen now and it's really worn on me - i've become a HUGE XTC fan and i feel mental fatigue halfway through an album of theirs because it's so trebel-y on bright headphones.

Apr 19, 2018 at 11:50 PM Post #41,214 of 46,564
I saw the CTH but would I still need to buy a DAC to pair it with or would the E07k or a soundcard like the Xonar D1 or DX suffice? Btw, the only reason why I am not sure if I could hear a difference is because I have only tried the E07K before and no other DACs or Amps.
The E07K or sound cards would be good for now. I still use a Xonar DG on one of my systems and with easier to drive headphones there is not a easy to notice difference between it and my Modi2uber. Going up to my UD-301 or Bimby there is a difference that I can hear but its not something that everyone will notice since my GF and most of my non-audiophile friends can't hear any difference but those that have some experience with high end gear or are professional musicians usually will notice the differences but they consider it more of a preference/tuning than good or bad. FWIW I don't think the HD6XX/650 is a good headphone to notice the differences in DACs since it a very forgiving headphone that tends to hide issues unlike the HD800, HD700, T1gen1, HE560 or most Stax which are very revealing and not very forgiving of a bad source (recording/DAC).

@Gwen , If the HD6XX gets fatiguing then I'd say you are very sensitive to treble since the highs of the HD650/6XX are a bit rolled off and why some say they are "veiled" but it could also be the recordings that are poorly recorded/mastered causing it to sound bright or you could also be listening at a very high volume level. As an example my RS2e would be considered bright by most but the treble is never fatiguing to me and most of my friends who have heard it since its so smooth and airy sounding in the highs.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #41,215 of 46,564
The E07K or sound cards would be good for now. I still use a Xonar DG on one of my systems and with easier to drive headphones there is not a easy to notice difference between it and my Modi2uber. Going up to my UD-301 or Bimby there is a difference that I can hear but its not something that everyone will notice since my GF and most of my non-audiophile friends can't hear any difference but those that have some experience with high end gear or are professional musicians usually will notice the differences but they consider it more of a preference/tuning than good or bad. FWIW I don't think the HD6XX/650 is a good headphone to notice the differences in DACs since it a very forgiving headphone that tends to hide issues unlike the HD800, HD700, T1gen1, HE560 or most Stax which are very revealing and not very forgiving of a bad source (recording/DAC).

@Gwen , If the HD6XX gets fatiguing then I'd say you are very sensitive to treble since the highs of the HD650/6XX are a bit rolled off and why some say they are "veiled" but it could also be the recordings that are poorly recorded/mastered causing it to sound bright or you could also be listening at a very high volume level. As an example my RS2e would be considered bright by most but the treble is never fatiguing to me and most of my friends who have heard it since its so smooth and airy sounding in the highs.

i don't have 6XX's yet, i just joined the drop last week. i was just saying, i hope i get ones that darken a little more like some have reported

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #41,216 of 46,564
The MB stands for Multi-Bit?
Yep, the Multi-Bit.
i don't have 6XX's yet, i just joined the drop last week. i was just saying, i hope i get ones that darken a little more like some have reported

I've been using the HD6xx for dozens of hours and while the Sennheiser's smoothness is still there I don't think it's as "veiled" as the HD650. Like DavidA said it's still a VERY forgiving pair. As for amp/DAC I think a Burson Play would be a good place to start, as it has the power and enough resolution for the HD6xx. I don't think the Fiio is good enough, neither is the O2/ODAC (I never liked 300-ohm Sennheiser with them). A Modi Multibit is also good, but I'm not sure if the Magni/Vali 2 is enough.

Apr 20, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #41,217 of 46,564

Thanks for the replies I went in on the MCTH.

Apr 20, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #41,220 of 46,564
Good choice! Will work great with the Fiio as DAC. Just know that the CTH needs a lot of burn-in (50-100 hours) and may not sound great out of the box. For burn-in you can just play music through it with the headphones disconnected.

i own an e10k currently - came bundled when i broke my m50s regular and got the Xs a couple years ago. you think that'd be a passable dac if i used the out on the back in to a magni or something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back